Forte a good find? vs. my current set-up - an upgrade???

brad0112

Hi Gang -

After years of 'lurking' these forums, I have to make a post looking for advice.

It all started when a local seller listed a pair of Forte (I) on craigslist for $600. At first that seemed like a great price, but it appears after some research that may be a bit high - seems like the more commonly sell for closer to $400...any opinions?

Second question...are they too big for my space? My room is 10.5ft wide by ~13ft deep to the desired listening location, so it's not a huge space. I currently have KG 5.2's, KSW200, 2 KG 1.5's (rear), and the KV-2 center.

I have read a lot about the Forte's, and I don't know if they are A) a good buy @ that price, and B) good for my set-up.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Joel

Even in mint condition with original boxes $600 is a bit of a stretch for original Fortes. Most people scouring craigslist are looking for a deal, not to pay a high premium. I think $400 maybe up to $500 is more realistic depending on color and condition (black usually sells for less than the others for some reason).

If you did get them I would ditch your KV-2 in a heartbeat as it wouldn't blend well with the Fortes and it wouldn't do your Fortes any justice. An Academy is the match for a Forte.

If you can get them for a good price you won't regret it at all but it may require a little restructuring of your other speakers to balance everything out.

I used to have KG 5.2s in front, KV 2 for center and KG 3.2s at surrounds.

The KG 5.2s are really under rated in my opinion. They are much more forgiving as far as placement is concerned than my Forte IIs. I was really happy with them. I ended up buying an Academy because I thought it was too good a price to pass up. I planned on holding on to it until I ran across a nice pair of Forte IIs. No hurry. Well you know how it is when you get a new toy, you've got to play with it. I didn't realize how weak the KV 2 was for a center channel until I hooked up the Academy. I could hear dialog in movies so much better, everything sounded a lot better. Next thing you know I just had to see what I was missing not having a pair in front that matched the Academy and I was on a mission to find a pair of Forte IIs

I guess my experience has shown me the Forte IIs a better speaker than the KG 5.2s but I won't be in a hurry to find a pair. My Forte IIs cost twice as much as my KG 5.2s and I wouldn't say they are twice as good. I bought Forte IIs in great shape from the original owner with the boxes and the original receipt and I paid $500 for them. I've since seen nice pairs go for $400-450 but I was a man on a mission and didn't have the patience to wait around for a cheaper pair. Knowing what I know now if I were you I'd wait until a pair of Forte or Forte IIs pop up at a better price. I don't think $600 is a good price, I think the economy is really knocking the prices of Klipsch down and you could find much cheaper if you wait.

Thank you to all of you for your time and explanations! You have changed my course of action to not take any right now. I doubt the seller would take 1/2-2/3 of his asking price, and I agree that around $400 is a better price - especially after considering I might want to upgrade them ala Bob C.

I think the best path might be to look for an academy or a replacement center.

Let the hunt begin!

Joel

Hi Joel,

You have made a wise decision. Decide what you seek, then be patient in pursuit. I have purchased 3 pair of Forte II's in the last year for $400. The tractrix squawker and 15" passive make the Forte II a step up from the Forte.

For center channel, I encourage you to consider a KLF C-7. I believe it to be a better speaker than the Academy (tractrix vs exponential) and is a better "voice" match for the Forte II. I have owned several versions of both.

Your KG's can continue to serve well in surround positions.

If you want to begin your hunt tonight, here is a KLF-C7 on ebay for $350 BIN that, while not cheap, seems to be a within the going price range. This plus Forte II's would be a step up from your KG's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KLF-C7-Center-Channel-Speaker_W0QQitemZ180333189312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item180333189312&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Not affiliated, yada, yada . . . .