Where do you get the 402 horns?

MikeMilliken

This should have been handled much differently than it has been

Mike... perhaps that's true. I'll plead guilty for all just so we can get this past us.

Seriously, no one is trying to set you off. Heck... with the system you are talking about putting together, I'd bet more of us are trying to find a calander date in the future where we can come and listen to it and share a tasty treat off the bbq with you.

(am I invited yet?)

None of us have probably heard a system with the type of bass you're talking about building

(am I invited yet?)

Being a bit focused again... as I understand it, (and I don't profess to speak for the company) Klipsch doesn't want to sell "parts". Meaning, they don't want to sell JUST a K402 horn, without driver and base. If you wanted to buy the "package" 402 horn, k69 driver (or different driver) and the base that is sitting on top of my Jubilee, my belief is they will sell you that assembly. If however, you wanted to ONLY purchase the K402 horn and nothing else, then they would not want to do that. Given my interpretation from earlier post, I felt you might be looking more for ingredients rather than finished products since you want to build much yourself (which is cool!). I presume others came to the same conclusion that I came to, even if in error.

I haven't gone back to clarify that so if I'm wrong, I'll ask you pardon me here. (hard to go back & read when you're in message mode)

anyways... speaking for myself... I pictured you looking for specific parts and not maybe an entire package (K402/K69 top horn alone is being defined by me here as an entire package)

So, if you are looking for "parts", we're trying to say (if poorly) that can't be done.

Just as you are new here and don't necessarily know all the personalities, we didn't know yours. I'm sure had anyone known you would have taken things this way and been ruffled, they would have stopped, regrouped and tried a different angle. No one can force you to believe that but it's true. There are only a few idiots on this forum and for all I know, I may be considered their ringleader!!

Now...on to a MUCH more serious topic....

(am I invited yet?)

[pi]

[Y]

Gosh,

I don't even know how to address this. Firat thing I guess is to "man" up and apologize for over-reacting. It's clear to me this morning that I had a SEVERE attitude problem. As an aside I have talked to Roy, (Nice guy BTW) and I can get the horns with drivers, and there is more than 1 to chose from if you intend to use them in a home setting. He seemed eager to help and not at all put out.

I will likely go in a whole different way than I originally anticipated, IE: buying "modules" than can be combined into sytems.I had my own Pro Sound business 20 years ago and I still service some of my old clients from back then in Florida, Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean. In order to "demo" said systems, the module thing makes good sense.

I am not looking for an excuse for my "whining" yesterday, these are just the facts......I am a hardcore type A personality, but thats not the real problem as I see it. I don't feel at all this morning like I felt last night, thank god. I am on the last day of a 5 day regimen of 100MG/Day of prednisone from my doctor to fight a severe upper respritory problem that just has not wanted to go away. I have taken this crap before, and by now I know how it affects me. I had a kidney transplant almost 12 years ago, and Immediately after they put you on high doses of this stuff, its a steroid.

Well this steroid makes me very EDGY, and it affects my whole personality is a nasty way. I am supposed to take a "maintenance" dose (10MG/day) all the time, but I can't because I would have to be committed! Seriously the rage this causes is uncontrollable, ever hear of "Roid Rage", remember the pro Wrestler (thats an oxymoron:) not that long ago that killed himself and his family? I do not sleep on it, I am tense, edgy, and violent, add that to a type A personality and you got "gas on a fire". It makes me irrational and after 3-4 days of no sleep the issue is only compounded.

Ever get a Z pack from your Doctor? Those are 4 mg each, I have been taking 100MG/day for 5 days, this is the last day. Tommorrow I get to be sane again. There doesnt seem to be any alternative to the prednisone, bellieve me, I have asked repeatedly. My wife just hates me while I am on it, fact is I hate myself on it, I am just MISERABLE.

I appreciate all of your help and kindness, tomorrow I will be sane again. I just took my last dose of this stuff and will do my beat to refrain from being a jerk today. It hasn't hit me yet, when it does I know it....... I do feel like King Kong on it, but I am semi psychotic and miserable. I WISH I didnt have to ever take this stuff, It has awful side effects, but nothing else seems to be able to clear up the pnemonia/upper respritory infection. Breathing is a good thing!

Mike,

Hang in there! You can believe me when I tell you we'll all be pulling for you, be it prayers (lots of those from folks here) to good thoughts (lots of those, too).

Glad you got to talk to Roy, he's a great guy.

Bruce

Bless your heart, Mike. I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I'm on day two of two tabs prednisone in diminishing dose. Also did Z pack. They also have me on a albuterol nebulizer every four hours. Can't shake this stuff.

I am shakey and grumpy.

Hope you (we) feel better soon!!!!

P.S. Roy is one of the bestest people you will ever encounter!!!!

Well ain't it just a freakin insane asylum around here.

Mike M: Thanks for your explanation. It puts your responses in some context now & I feel better toward you. I'll say a prayer for your ailments to heal & for your return to good health. Good luck on your audio quest. I think you'll love the 402 horn. Roy has done an excellent job with it.

Have you seen this brochure?
http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/literature/Cinema%20brochure%202007%20070814.pdf

If you're thinking higher SPL's, you might consider the 3-way version of the Jub:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-jubilee-535.aspx
or maybe stepping up to the MCM:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-mcm-4-t-grand.aspx

The 2-way Jub that people have been buying gets rid of the tweeter horn on the Jub, but moves the tweeter driver down to the "MF" horn.

I gotta say that the K-1133 on the K402 horn (the KPT-402-MF) is one awesome sounding midrange combination. However, the KPT-904-HF is gonna sound better than the KPT-GRAND-HF-T. It's the same horn, but a better driver, but if you're just gonna swap that out later then the GRAND-HF is probably cheaper...I don't think you'd ever need to upgrade the K-1133 however - just awesome.

I'd be curious to hear what Roy recommends though....he's a crazy horn machine.

Best wishes on a healthy recovery.

For you guys that have the 402's with the home driver, was there a huge improvement over the later Khorn/La Scala sound? It would seem that with all the improvements made to these Heritage speakers over the years, the sound from them would be real hard to better........By now they ought to be VERY GOOD in their own right. After all, they weren't bad to start with!

In principle, I agree with DrWho.

However, I would take the mid from the KTP-MCM-3 Grand (K42 on a K150 horn) and a better HF driver (perhaps an aluminum Beyma CP755Nd/Al, the aluminum JBL2431, the beryllium JBL 2435, etc)

Duke LeJeune of Audiokinesis recommends them as a "poor man`s TAD", and I purchased a pair from him.

The JBL has a list price of $2800 a pair, but I have purchased pairs from Hector Martinez on eBay (tinmarindedospringue) for around $600.

Closest Klipsch product:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kpt-jubilee-r.aspx

Those $600 JBL drivers on eBay are not new, and may need to have the ferrofluid cleaned out and replaced. This has been discussed at the Lansing Heritage site. If you damage a driver, it would be less expensive to buy another one used as the replacement diaphragms are currently over $750 each.

For you guys that have the 402's with the home driver, was there a huge improvement over the later Khorn/La Scala sound? It would seem that with all the improvements made to these Heritage speakers over the years, the sound from them would be real hard to better........By now they ought to be VERY GOOD in their own right. After all, they weren't bad to start with!

Mike... I know you're in Florida but if you are going to embark on this kind of journey, maybe it wouldn't hurt you to hear them side by side.

Just so I know it's been done, you are invited to Knoxville area to give an audition to not only the Jubilee but I also have a pair of LaScalas. Given that, you can hear the Jubilee/K402, LaScala with stock drivers and extreme slope crossover, "JubeScala" which is the K402 sitting on top of a LaScala playing 2-way. I could pick you up at airport or (Mr. Florida Boy with the sunshine and beaches) you could drive and enjoy the cold, wet blechy weather... [;)]

In answer to your basic question, I'd suggest that the answer is a qualified yes. It's a different sound, perhaps better left to the person hearing as to judge if its better or not, hence the qualification. When I first heard them, it took about 30 seconds to decide I wanted to buy them...my wife was my only obstacle.

I think since they are larger format horns, they will probably outperform the Heritage items when played with more volume. I say this having owned LaScalas for 30 years so I'm not ragging on them at all.

Realize, when PWK set out to create the "Klipschorn II" (which became the Jubilee bottom section) he had 50 some years of experience behind him. I'd say he indeed, found some improvements. Put a bit differently, how many Heritage speakers are in the pro cinema lineup? The Jubilee was good enough to play in that field, yet it was originally created to replace the Khorn as a home speaker.

If you get a chance to hear the 3-way Jubilee in your area, just remember that his IS the cinema 3-way version and NOT the slightly modified version virtually everyone else is using with the K69 (or TAD 4002) driver on the K402

It's a legit offer if you care to do it... In the off chance you don't like the sound, all I'd ask is you make sure you're well off the steroids at least 5 days prior... [:|] [;)]

WOW!

What a great opportunity and a very generous offer. Your opinions of the 402 have been mirrored by many in my email. I would absolutely be honored and would love the opportunity tho listen to all 3. That kind of chance does not come along very often!

I have written to Roy D to see if there was a place in the US where all the cinema line could be auditioned as well.

I would LOVE to visit you, once my hearing returns;( A side effect of the URI is my head/ears are clogged) At the moment I couldnt tell the difference. I had my wife listening to my new Chorus II's vs the Forte II's last night and all she could tell me is that they were on. Coytee, if you'd be so kind, send me a PM with a phone number and a preferred time to call you in order to work out the details. I think I had better drive my pick up in case theres a pair you no longer need. Your wife must be an amazing women to tolerate all those BIG speakers, lucky you.

Your wife must be an amazing women to tolerate all those BIG speakers, lucky you.

heh... she is, I am... however, she's been on the verge of a breakdown ever since she's known me and these speakers are a factor...She absolutely detests "big ugly teenager speakers" although interestingly, when a nice piece of music is playing, I'll give you 32 guesses as to who is holding the front paws of one of the dogs, dancing in the middle of the floor... [^o)]

I've only had fairly large speakers,

3 LaScalas (I must admit, not setup as of today)

2 Jubilees

and my "small" speakers, Electrovoice Interface "D's" that I bought new in 1978. I think they as my smallest, come in weighing 114 pounds each.

PM with info sent