Belle's crossovers A AA AB AL... or not

phoenixOZ

Hi all,

I've buying a pair of belle in France. I've got old crossovers (AB type of 1982). I don't want to change speakers for the moment.

And i've got noobs questions! Somebody can help me ?

here's the questions :

Q1 - For the peaple who have Belle's, Do they have upgrading there crossover ?

Q2 - What about type A in Belle's

Q3 - What about type AA in Belle's

Q4 - What about type AB-2 in Belle's

Q6 - What about type ALK DIY universal crossover in Belle's

Q7 - What about type ALK handmade crossover

Q8 - What about type Bob handmade crossover AB-2

It's a lot and probably just the begining, sorry...and thanks

Welcome to the Forum. As likely as not the caps in the AB's need replacement. The least expensive thing to do would be to DIY the caps to start with, then listen to them before deciding to go with any of the other choices. Contact Bob Crites (bobcrites@mac.com) about the caps; I'm pretty sure he sends stuff overseas. In the interim time, do what Dean suggests and read previous threads regarding the Belles and the crossover types used, etc.

I think Dean is saying that those who would be most helpful may not respond, because they've addressed this issue several times before. I'd suggest doing a search, and glean what you can from previous posts. You'll be able to come back with some specific questions, which members will be more than happy to respond to. Just a suggestion though.

Thanks for ALL answers. I don't speak english very well (excuse me). And in topics there are to long and technical setences for (Sorry i'm French... but i can help you on wines !)

So i prefer short but specific questions. For the moment i'm on ''macro view''.

New little question : it is absoluttly necessary to put 50$ for a 2.2µF cap or 10-20$ is a good choice ( i've see 2$ dollars caps but i don't think quality is good!). It's don't want to be a markeeting victim of plates gold caps... the true is in the sound, ONLY sound.

New little question : it is absoluttly necessary to put 50$ for a 2.2µF cap or 10-20$ is a good choice ( i've see 2$ dollars caps but i don't think quality is good!). It's don't want to be a markeeting victim of plates gold caps... the true is in the sound, ONLY sound.

Bob Crites' prices are reasonable, and the components he sells work well in Klipsch products. Buy once, buy right. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Your crossover choices is going to be a personal one. I use ALK universals in my 84 LS. I like them. IMO the search function on this board is kind of a PITA ask all the questions you want. IMO your thread title was a dead give away that maybe some folks who do not wish to answer these types of questions should have veered away from. Welcome to the forum. I can assure you your English is far better than any French I could attempt.

I would (and have) change it. Old wire gets oxidized, and I consider periodic replacement as maintenance. You could use standard 16 guage (or heavier) copper stranded wire. If you'd like to go with something more expensive, it's not going to hurt.

Bonjour! Bienvenue!

Your english is fine. It works wellenough and if you stick around a bit, it'll get better.

We are all tweakers and almost all of us have modified, or upgraded our speakers. The crossovers are one of the easiest upgrades.

As old as your Belles are, you will likely need to replace the capacitors. Listen to them first to see. Perhaps they will not be too bad if the Belles have been used regularly. Since you are in France, you should be able to get Solen FastCaps easily. They are good and inexpensive, for high quality capacitors. I use them and like them. Replace each one with one of the same size. http://www.solen.ca//pub/index.php

There are worse crossovers than the Type AB, but it is probably not the best, either. I don't think Belles came with Type A crossovers, but they should work. Type AAs are good crossovers and are popular. Al Klappenbergers' ALKs were developed on Belles, so I'm sure they will sound as good in yours as they do in my La Scalas. I've heard Belles with Type AB-3 (I think, whatever the latest ones were) crossovers and they sounded very, very nice. Type AL crossovers are truly bad and shoud be avoided; they wave a ringing in them in the range of a French Horn.

If you do not like your Type ABs, I would recommend you build a pair of ALKs (or have them built). Since they are adjustable, you can tune the speakers to your room a little.

I recently discovered that AB-2s are the latest crossovers used in the Belles. The '98 Belles I just bought have AB-2s and they are the equivalent of the AK-3 and AL-3 because the Belles skipped the upgrade to the 2s when the Khorn's and Lascalla's were upgraded. They sound very, very nice.

If you are generally happy with the AB, replace the caps and live with them for a while before upgrading further. It will give you a good baseline with which to compare.