Sexy LP art, Wow!

Chicago_Pete

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the cover of the Japanese release of Charles McPherson's But Beautiful? He wasn't too happy with it and explained somewhere that it was a record company decision that he had nothing to do with. It works for me, but I wouldn't put it up on the wall...

You can see it here: http://www.cduniverse.com/images.asp?pid=6826375&style=musicℑ=front&title=Mcpherson%2C+Charles+%2D+But+Beautiful+CD

All those skulls. Always with the skulls. You would think that these people who are always obsessing over skulls would conclude from the "death grooms life idea" compassion, but no, they only conclude dissipation, excess, and violence. I'm soooo scared.....! I better go out and get a death fixated tatoo.

ok, I am just trying to drum something up.......

c7s

There's a skull shop a few blocks from my place. Ashtrays, candle holders, regular skulls, alien skulls, Terminator skulls, devil skulls, and so on, and so on. Lots of punk and biker clothing, too. It's been there for a couple of years, so business must be good.

There's a skull shop a few blocks from my place. Ashtrays, candle holders, regular skulls, alien skulls, Terminator skulls, devil skulls, and so on, and so on. Lots of punk and biker clothing, too. It's been there for a couple of years, so business must be good.

Yeah but thats Vancouver Island...Nothin' less would be expected [:$]

All those skulls. Always with the skulls. You would think that these people who are always obsessing over skulls would conclude from the "death grooms life idea" compassion, but no, they only conclude dissipation, excess, and violence. I'm soooo scared.....! I better go out and get a death fixated tatoo.

There's quite a long-running tradition in European Art relating the naked female form to the Death's Head. Would have been a good topic for an Art History dissertation (and I'm sure, has been). Sex and death are seldom very far apart in any culture.

There's quite a long-running tradition in European Art relating the naked female form to the Death's Head. Would have been a good topic for an Art History dissertation (and I'm sure, has been). Sex and death are seldom very far apart in any culture.

There was an art show in Toronto back around 2000 with those themes, called Eros and Thanatos.

I think some of those "popular" illustrations that use an illusion which flips from the young woman at the vanity to the skull was a reminder of the inanity of vanity in light of our inescapable mortality. Maybe though it was just another form or variation on the old seduction ploy, we could die at any time so sleep with me now kind of thing. The fear of death has a lot to do with the fact that we mostly operate in denial of this terribly inconvenient fact of life. The fear is also a fear of realizing our denial, as in, oops I forgot to reserve a cemetary plot.... putting off today....etc. The skull has often been a flag waved to prove or advertise a lack of these fears.... eg. so don't mess with me.... thus the violence connection.

c7s