Matching my new Speakers

rodeorowdy

Hi to all! Please excuse my long post but I'm brand-new to HT and want to let you know where I'm coming from.

I have just recently been visiting all the local BB stores to finally get a LCD TV. Just bought a 5.1 setup 2 weeks ago and since have spent most of my time reading everything I can online. 2 weeks ago I first bought an 'open-box' (saving $400) 40in LCD TV and then started looking to get a $350 (or around) 5.1 HTiB. I went into a BB looking for any 'open-box' 5.1 HTiB and there on a table I found a SUB-12 subwoofer, ICON VC25 center & a pair of ICON VS14surrounds for about 45% off. I'm a sucker for deals so after thinking a while I bought them for $611 plus tax! Even the salesman was surprised at the low price.

Now at this time I never heard of Klipsch because I didn't know ANYTHING about HI-FI or A/V but I had already spent $611, almost twice more than I planned, but I didn't have a complete system. I still needed to get a receiver, front speakers, wires & cables.

In another BB I was still looking for a HTiB as I was hoping to find an 'open-box' model and then I would take back the ICON Klipsch's I already bought. When asking a salesman advice (he happened to be a MagHomeTheater salesman) he steered me to a pair of 'open-box' Klipsch RF-62 REF Towers. He told me they would be a "Night & Day difference" compaired to the HTiB I was looking at. Even he seemed surprised that the price for both was $400! Again I'm a sucker for deals so I bought them.

Wow, now I have spent $1011 +tax and I STILL DON'T have a receiver, cables/wire or DVD player but I already became a fan of Klipsch because of what I have learned/ read. Having visited another BB I came across an 'open-box' DENON 2808CI for $499 so I got it too. Now after being bitten by the HT Bug I decided to use it for my 30 day trial and see what happens.

Finally today I get the RF62's and ICON VC25 up and running as I was reading all I could first. The ICON VS14's have to wait 2 more days because I need to mount them to a wall first and my SUB is sitting in storage because I couldn't put it in my room yet. With just the 3 speakers my wife was impressed with the sound she heard. I first heard/ listened to the RF 62's alone because I didn't realize I was in Stereo mode and not Surround mode. Listening to music this sounded nice to me. Then after calling BB for advice I learned how to change the DENON into Surround mode and finally heard the ICON VC25. Listening to the same music I heard most of the vocals coming out of the VC25 center. Truthfully, I thought the music sounded better coming out of the RF62's only.

So my question: Since I live in a small apartment with a small 11'x11' bedroom doubleing as a HT, I'm wondering if my speaker setup will blend WELL ENOUGH together and be all I need in this small space. I'm sitting 5 feet from my RF62' Front's & ICON VC Center. Because of windows and a door to my sides, the surrounds will be over 5 feet from my ears mounted near the celling. I've read about TIMBRE here (even thought I don't know what that is yet) so I'm wondering if I should keep the ICON VC25 & VS14'S or return them and keep looking to find an 'open-box' RC62 at a BB. I see the RC62 at Crutchfields.com for $500! I paid $159 for my ICON VC25 and could never spend $500 for ONE speaker and wouldn't. Any cheaper 2nd best match-up for my 5.1?

Again excuse the long post but my 30 day return window is about to run out so I need to make a decision very soon. Thank you to all who took the time to read & advise. Cheers

If money is a breaker and I totally understand in these times, you could always get the Klipsch VB-15 for 299/pr at Best Buy. These are the bookshelves for the rest of your ICON set. Use them for your fronts. You say you are in a 11x11 BR serving as a HT and you certainly have a decent sub with the SUB12. Definately not a large room to fill. Now the question you have to ask yourself is this, how long do you plan on having the setup and will it be in the same room? If you want to expand into a system, then I recommend keeping the RF62, saving for the RC62 and returning the ICON speakers. I would keep the sub if you can. Making a sound decision now will save you money in the end. Good luck.

HAHAHAHAHAHA - Looks like we got us another one fellas!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the forum- step up to the crack pipe and have yourself a puff.

lesson # 1- Klipsch is the best- most bang for the buck at the lower/middle end- best audiophile grade stuff at the high end- period

lesson # 2 you dont need a huge room to enjoy great HT or 2 ch sound- your 11 x 11 room is fine with the right gear adjusted properly

lesson # 3 all of your speakers except fot the sub MUST be klipsch- it is OK to go outside the brand with the sub if desired

lesson # 4 check the garage for the deals. People here are honest and accountable.I have spent a fortune there during the last month and I can't tell you how much that I have saved over normal outlets.

lesson # 5- DO NOT get in a hurry. Set a reasonable low end price for what you want and look for deals. In this game patience is the key to ending up with a system that you will love. You will find exactly what you are looking for if you check the garage forum and the internet close outs. also put Vanns into your database- another good source or open box stuff and closeouts.DO NOT pay 500.00 for an RC62. There are better deals if you can wait. HT receiver prices drop like crazy when the new models come out- like in half. Dont buy new/current.Discontinued/ open box with a warranty is the key.

Take the non klipsch stuff back for a refund and wait for the good stuff. Good luch with your search.

This hobby is just SLIGHTLY habit forming.

@ keIA: Getting fronts to match my ICON center & surrounds, as you mentioned, is an option. At $299/pr they are $100 cheaper than my RF62's but I would imagine...a big down-grade in sound quality for that one hundred dollar savings. Since I got the RF62's at a great deal I hate to downgrade my fronts to VB-15's for $100 savings.

I plan to keep my final setup for as long as it lasts, I'm 44 so I would like a nice system, but w/o spending a lot more $. I could expand to a 7.1 system as more Blu-rays come out with it. While I was shopping for my LCD I found the Blu-ray version of Band of Brothers. I bought it even before my LCD which helped steer me to Samsung's 650 Series. This Blu-ray has 7.1 and it is the reason I became interested in getting a HTiB system. I realized with a HTiB added to my LCD I would be able to "feel & hear" the experence and not just watch it. Then one thing led to another and here I am, $1,900 spent so far for the Denon, Klipsch 5.1, cables & wires that I now have.

@ TNRabbit: Thank's for the Music Lesson. I've been reading here and elsewhere for over 2 weeks and have learned a lot. But I know there is soo much more to learn and learning never stops.

@ winchester: I didn't know about the garage. Lesson #4 & #5 noted.

@ Bigdog1: weblink noted.

So here I learned to return the ICON VC-25, be patient and keep looking until I find a matching Center. A RC-62 or if I come across a great price, a RC-52.

In an Ideal World I would also buy matching RS-52 Surrounds to complete my setup, but at $780 retail...that is out of the question. As I only spent $187 for the pair of ICON VS14's I would not be willing to spend more at this time for surrounds. I'll have to either enjoy the VS-14's now or return them before 30 days and settle for watching movies in 3.1. But I'm soo itching to experience Band of Brothers in Blu-ray with at least 5.1!

I love this forum. Thank you very much to all.