Can't Find It

CIGARBUM

Can someone please direct me to the thread that gives instruction on how to remove stains from the top of speakers, ya know the beer bottle or flower pot type. I am now the proud owner of a pair of 1976 Belles, Oiled Walnut, I want to make them really purdy, they be Southern Belles now.

I have looked for the last two days for the thread and can't find it, lot on the Minerial Spirts and BLO, which most people prefer, no steel wool, plug the magnets up. or just use the BLO and cover the top with smoked glass.

CB

CB, I found a really affordable place about 10 minutes from my house for glass tops. I got 3/8" clear beveled for my 3 Belles for about $130. Non-beveled (I'd do that next time) and 1/4' much cheaper. IIRC, 1/4" sanded edge for the 3 was $75. If you ever want some, I'll get them before my next visit. Takes about 2 days for the easy and a week for the beveled.

Won't help for the existing damage but I got them as a preventitive measure and the look pretty OK as well. Smoked is an option.

That doesn't look so bad.

Let me suggest you get a bottle of Old English or Formby "Lemon" oil. Pour some into a a saucer or the like.

Then wet a Scotch Brite pad and spread some oil on the top of the Belle.

Use the pad to gently clear the wood. It will take off a just a very, very little of the veneer and you'll see some brown matter accumulating on the the pad. Then just wipe things down with a paper towel.

If you get really agressive you'll probably take off the stain and the wood will look lighter. So don't get agressive. If you just use pressure like you would scrubbing your arm or the like.

I did inadvertently go through the stain level by going after a planter stain on my second hand Forte II. But it took a lot of effort.

My guess is that you''ll certainly get the white junk off with just a little of this cleaning. There seems to be a bit of a black ring in the photo. I'd say, just live with that unless you want to play with restaining . . . which I believe you might not.

Wm McD

I'd check with veteran Heritage restorer GLA51. He has every chemical weapon ever tried on veneer.

Have you reoiled the top at all? That might take away that whitish bit if it's due to drying. The coffee ring is another matter.

If you use ScotchBrite make certain to wrap it around a wood scrap so you have a flat sanding surface. Otherwise you'll gouge the finish for sure.

In any case, even if you get the ring lighter by a couple shades, the new 1/4" CLEAR glass tops you put on will obscure it further from view so it doesn't have to be perfect.