Can I cross this horn at 500hz?

I picked up a pair of these for my Cornscala project and wondering if these will be suitable to cross at 500hz? If not 500 I suspect 600? The horn is 12" deep and the opening is 4.5" tall. The guy I got these from said they were in studio monitors. I also got two drivers that look like Atlas PD5 VH with these horns but the drivers have a bolt through the center of the back. Any thoughts appreciated.

2393990horn.jpg

"Atlas PD5 VH with these horns but the drivers have a bolt through the center of the back. Any thoughts appreciated. "

Those are siren drivers. They are about an inch taller than pd5hv's. The bolt hole is to mount the siren mounting hardware. If these were on ebay last week...I told the seller they were not pd5hv's. Also, I think you will find they are 8 ohms. A pd5hv is a 16 ohm driver.

About the horn, they will do 500hz easy....the horns are atlas horns.

I cannot find any info on em as siren drivers either. I guess female vocals will really wail !!!. [;)]

As for as the impedance, I figured Atlas can make that whatever for whoever.

They were on Ebay. Here is the auction. Did you email this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180330175440

Seller states "they have that classic smooth sound" ....I guess thats when listened to from a war zone bunker.

I'll be hookin em up and tryin em anyway. Might be music to my ears.

sorry...female vocals won't .......maybe male vocals

SPECIFICATIONS

MODEL POWER RATING IMPEDANCE PLANE WAVE FREQ. RESPONSE LOW FREQ. LIMIT @ FULL POWER SOUND LEVEL"*
SD-70 58 Watts* 11 Ohms (nominal) 100-2,900 Hz (±5 dB) 200 Hz 80 - 2,900 Hz (±5 dB) 115.8 (avg) (111 x 90mm)
SD-370A 100 Watts** 11 Ohms (nominal) 100-2,500 Hz (±5 dB) 200 Hz 100 - 2,500 Hz (±5 dB) 117 (avg) (118x102mm)

you have a pair of SD-70 siren drivers. the frequency response for the SD-70 is 100 - 2900hz. The K-55 (PD5HV) has a frequency response of 110hz to 4100hz.

so you have to contend with the impedeance (8 ohms instead of 16), the frequency response (lower crossover point).

JL,

Very nice horns for the CScala project. Have you had a chance to hear these drivers? It would be interesting to hear what they sound like. If they had been used with these horns, it is possible that they could be workable in an audio setup.

Thanks Daddy Dee. Im real happy with the horns. I think they will work out fine for me. The drivers are suspect of course. I have not listened to them yet. Im guessing I can mount them in the horn, hook em up straight to a low powered amp, and have a low listen without crossover for a test. The seller is not interested in taking em back. I have a bad habit of trusting people and this time it may have bitten me a little. Don't really want to file a claim and have to earn that money twice, etc, etc.

Now the guy did say the horns and drivers were in studio monitors together???

I noticed US Speaker has a 3way crossover 500z & 3500hz which might just work out with an Eminence APT 200 tweeter.

Just to experiment I have active crossovers that might just help me figure it all out. If I have to bail on these I might try the Selenium D250X drivers from parts-express.

As one might suspect, we have limited funds and this is a project that will be pretty much cobbled together with less expensive parts. May end up being more of a Frankenspeaker than anything. That said, my 5yr. old and I are gonna have some fun no matter how it turns out. [:D]