Indy Fest 2009 - The official site thread

Crap, I just found out that there is going to be a surprise bday on that Sunday for my grandpa who's turning a billion (or somewhere near there) this month....it'll be a major surprise cuz the party will be a month late. I gotta be there early sunday so I would need to leave saturday evening and I won't be able to get to Indy until later Saturday morning (due to some other festivities that Friday night).

I don't think it's worth 6 hours of driving for a few hours of hanging out, so I think I'll have to bow out this time. [:(]

Mike and Roger. I am going to have to bow out too this year. Wife has been out of work so I need to be concentrating on making money instead of spending it. Or maybe I shuld just wait and have all these new dema-commie governement projects kick in to take care of my family. What a joke!

Hopefully we will see you next year.

JM

I'd love to come...I missed the Pilgrimage last year, had to work (what a bummer). I'll bring the wife.

I plan to get a room for the weekend (Mike or Rodger can you suggest something close to your places).

However I only live about a two hour drive away (Louisville, KY) so if there are some who would like to come but can't swing a room I will be happy to change my plans and open my house to those wanting a place to crash. We could all then drive up to Indy for the fun and then drive back to crash before doing it all again the next day.

[EDIT] On second thought a 2 hour drive after a day of fun (which for some of us implies drinking [D]) might not be such a good idea. So unless we can end up with a DD in the mix the idea of staying in Louisville probably wont work.

Steve

Sadly, I cannot attend now. Obligations of my job, Active Duty USAF, demand that I may or may not be in the US come time for the get together. Either way, I'm being told I cannot leave the local area at that time. [:(]

What a bummer, I was really looking forward to it. I was especially looking forward to hearing the set up on Saturday. I haven't heard any of the large Klipsch systems. Have fun guys!

Daniel

I haven't read through this entire thread, so apologies if it has been mentioned already, but if any of you want to stop by here while you're in town to see the facility, I'm sure we can accomodate you on a Friday afternoon. Email me if you're interested so I can get an idea of how many.

Thanks! Sorry we couldn't participate more this year. Sad

Sorry to hear of the cancellations, bummer.

Remember guys that this isn't just a visit with Indy and Colter- there will be a few Klipsch engineers on the road crew and Amy has offered visits to Klipsch also (see above).

M

Not another bow out...but FWIW, I have a High School reunion on the Saturday of this shindig around 5pm so I can partake Friday and Sunday and possibly Saturday morning but will likely go to the reunion on Saturday night and miss the concert that night...

Any Forum Brothers are invited. C'mon down and we'll blast your eardrums one time.

Working on the PA again tomorrow. Got three monitors back in fine working order today with new woofies, repaired crossovers (by me!) and horn drivers. Crown amp rack is about ready so just a few more cables and I'll be ready to aim it out the shop door and BLAST the neighborhood for a test. Tomorrow or Sunday should be good days to do just that.

audience view- this will be the stage left stack, so facing the stage this is to the RIGHT. That's the good Professor up top, relaxing recumbent after a good day's knob twiddling. For reference, that's a 7' high x 9' wide garage door nearly completely obscured. The stacks measure about 8' high x 9' wide!

post-10755-13819474764352_thumb.jpg

and here's what everthing does, remember the stage will be to the left of this stack as you view it. This system is well balanced and provides nearly 180 degrees of full range sound. We easily measured 110 db some 50 feet away with the most of the amps at half mast. The clarity was astounding!

post-10755-13819474774248_thumb.jpg

Diagram of stage left speaker stacks from above showing amp racks relative position. We're also going to create an 'on deck' circle for the next band up, so they have a single place to collect their gear, check in with stage manager. I'll position a covered table for guitar tuning at this position also.

post-10755-13819474775426_thumb.jpg

Here's some of the jobs that will need to be done once we get setup. We'll still have plenty of time for breaks, enjoying the tunes, and each other's company. I expect that bands might play something like 20 minutes with 10 minute breaks for stage swaps. Trying to get a production meeting with Tim B, Prof Thump, and Trey sometime next week so will post more then.

Check in bands- They'll touch base with us, checking in all members, double checking their equipment needs for mics, monitors, what gear will load onto the stage.

On Deck- band will congregate here (and stay here) for the act immediately preceeding theirs. Guitars will be brought in tune, rigs ready to load onto the stage

Up Load- as stage clears, gear will move from on deck circle to stage
via back stage left. We'll need to move mics into position in front of
guitar amps, plug bass and keys into DI boxes, and quick monitor
check.

Off Load- when an act finishes, we'll quickly and quietly help off load their gear to a clear area back stage right.

As day continues, we'll want to stay vigilant about cables, MICS, and house sound gear so that no damage or loss occurs. This is a totally gratis non-paying event, so any loss or damage is 100% costly!

It'll be super helpful to me if some of you guys can move through the audience listening to the mix as well as back stage getting info from bands about the quality of the monitor mixes. It'd be nice if we could set up some comm system for talk back. How about using two blackberries one on stage, one at mix position?

post-10755-13819474776036_thumb.jpg

Just some techie-stuff for you knob twiddlers out there. Here's how we're dividing up the sound spectrum for now,using the DBX drive-rack as the heart of the system. I had the rack fairly well assembled, but Prof Thump did a superb job of bolting everything down solidly, and building up a jack panel for Neutrik NL4 connectors so the entire mains stacks can be hooked up with 6 connectors to the amp rack. There is one A/C main, and one set of inputs from the snake. It's a very clean and mostly bulletproof setup.

HF- this output is being used for our Full Range KP362 (15" three way bins) for short and wide fills. The output is rolled off at 60HZ at 12 db/octave. This relates to the speaker's natural roll off and will allow maximum volume with driver protection from LF thuds and distortion. These drivers are the farthest up front of the bunch, so a 6 ms delay is applied. Output to a MicroTech 1200 is 250 watts per full range cabinet, plenty from 60hz up.

MF - this output is being sent to the passive M4 Klipsch networks which runs the MSSM 10" mid-bass units, the MSM 4xK55 horns, and the MTM peizo tweeter array. 300Hz 12 db/octave LR xover with no LPF- it just runs full out until the drivers acoustically roll off. Because of the relative efficiency of these drivers vs the LF and Sub bins this section is run at +2 db over the rest. These horns are about 2 feet shorter than the path of the MWM bins so a 2 ms delay is applied. This runs into a Crown MicroTech 1200 at 500 WPC which is just about right for this speaker array.

LF - this is set to 35 Hz sharp LF cutoff for driver protection and runs up to 300 Hz 12 db/octave LR xover- this runs to two daisy-chained Crown K2 amps at 800 wpc, one K2 running the MWM-S bins, another for the KP682 dual 18 bins. Twin fans in the amp rack will cool these beasts. 4x 11 ga wire is used for sub power and 13 ga wire for everything else. I have a 20 foot wire bundle for the side of stage close to amp racks and 50 foot for the far side of stage.

I'll be splitting the output of the snake to hit the Rane active xover and the DBX xover. The Rane will allow separate xover point and volume settings for the JBL horns loaded with K69A drivers. Unfortunately there is no delay setting here but we'll play with phase reversal to get the sound right. This will run into a Crown Comm-Tech amp that has a PIP panel with another 300 Hz protective HPF section and most importantly a CD horn eq which will boost the highs starting at 6K by 6db shelving. It's only 100 watts per channel but that's considerable and this horn is working in concert with the MSM so it'll be plenty of output.

Next up- monitor rigs...

post-10755-13819474776626_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Nice photo's, Nice Gear!

You couldn't sleep this morning could you. Too many things to check off the list?

Professor Thump was running low on mojo yesterday due to Carb Day at the Indy Speedway the previous day and a set of sinus pushing on the frontal lob of my pea brain. I just realized this morning that you camera had both a manual zoom and focus! It has been so long since I held a real lense that let you make decisions that I forgot to focus. That's why all the pictures of Michael are blurry with his camera. Good thing I brought my PW backup camera which is where this picture was taken..

Really Michael, I know how to focus. I just had a Mad Professor moment.

post-20592-13819474778236_thumb.jpg

here is nothing like a day of wiring up amp racks. Can you say Wood! Professor Thump's mojo is flowing just looking at these racks.

All the critical cables were bundled in nylon ties. The AC power cables were routed on the left and the Signal on the left. A quad outlet box was added for the crossover and other low voltage modules. Fans will also be added to keep the K2's cool.

post-20592-13819474789256_thumb.jpg