Indy Fest 2009 - The official site thread

How would you guys feel about doing an outdoor concert with Klispch Pro gear on Saturday? I've just been asked to help an organization by providing sound reinforcement for several young people's bands in a park in Indy. JJ and Tim Brickley (see Amy's Blog) are the contacts. I'll try to get some more info about the event tomorrow.

This is the kind of thing I've really been waiting for- a chance to really take the gear out and USE IT! This being a pro bono job for young bands will be less pressure to perform. That it's an outdoor event in June promises great weather and a Klipsch MCM system that should sound it's best. We can take extra subs with the KP682's or get more coverage with a pair of KP362's if needed. I have 6 monitors, racks of Crown power, just about everything is ready to do a gig like this.

What do ya think? Are you in?

M

This would be a ton of fun!! We can all be junior roadies under the master's command. You can teach us how to set these up and how to mix. Seems like we should pay tuition.

Plus, we can all get Roadie T-shirts.

OK, maybe no T-shirts . . . . .

I learned more about the concert today. The host, Tim Brickley, has been mentoring several young bands. This will be a 'Battle of the Bands' format, held in BROADRIPPLE PARK. That's literally right down the road from me, and the spot where a young rock and roller named Michael used to watch the shows put on in conjunction with the WNAP raft race in the 70's and 80's. There is a big old shelter house in the middle of the park so I imagine that's where we'll be setting up the Klipsch PA. Maybe even get some Klipsch banners up there too!

I can't imagine that this will be such a big production that lighting will be required so probably will be afternoon/early evening kind of gig. We'll have time to haul the stuff back to Roadie's then hang out in the evening hours. Jubilee and other listening will have to take place on Friday or Sunday, but hey I'm open to offers.

Michael

We might want to change the date Michael... I know you really wanna do this concert thing, and face it, you do not need to or want to do a AM thing at your house Sat if your mind is at Broad Ripple park that day. You will have a hard time relaxing and I know you too well....You will have a hard time even sleeping Friday night as well?

I can still do the welcome party friday "IF" we move the training till Sunday. This might work, but that is up to you and the people that make the treck here?

It would be great to hear the MCM system LIVE as well.

I am flexible!

Roger and all,

Several of the guys here have expressed that helping 'Roadie' a Klipsch system into live use would be a fun use of their day. If I have everything ready to rock and roll here, rolling the system out to the park and setting up shouldn't be a huge deal. Promoter will have to rent a trailer for our use and I can have truck pre-packed. Sure it's some work but let's face it- we can play with the speakers in the shop any day. After all, this current collection of mine was meant to go to work, not sit around looking pretty.

I don't want to take away from what we had planned for the IndyFest weekend, but I think I need to do this show. Finally putting together a road-ready system has been something that my life seems to be leading up to. Running sound live in a park in Indy might lead to bigger things for me. At the very least, it feels like one of the '100 things to do before you die' for me.

If the group is flexible to move the IndyFest to another weekend that's fine. If they still want to come and play Roadie with me that's cool too. Guys are more than welcome to come early and stay late. We may be tired on Sunday be we can still putter and have fun with the other gear.

Please chime in gang what would YOU like to do if your summer allows you to come to Indy?

1. move IndyFest to another weekend so we can do all the stuff we had planned, Michael and local crew can handle the battle of the bands

2. move IndyFest to another weekend (see above) with some of the gang showing up to have fun in the park as well (you're all welcome)

3. keep IndyFest on June12-14 with the 'Saturday in the Park' theme

I'd LOVE #2, I could use the help, I think a lot of the guys who are close by would enjoy the day in the park with Klipsch, but would also like to do a relaxing weekend with you guys listening to various setups. For me it would be the best of both worlds.

Here I go making things confusing again, eh?

Michael

I don't care either way...

Setting up for that concert is gonna be a lot of work....I might suggest finding a way to take everything all at once in one trailer load instead of doing multiple trips like we did that one time for the Klipsch concert. It will easily take the entire day Saturday...I wouldn't expect to do much of anything else that day.

I think the outdoor concert sounds like a blast. I'll volunteer for roadie duty should I be able to come and most likely can drive our Grand Caravan which has quite a bit of cargo area for hauling some equipment with the seats folded down. There's even some tiedown capability where the stow and go seats latch into when upright. I'd agree with Doc, you'll want to make one trip.

I'll come to help (if you can use a newb like me) watch if Indyfest weekend or even if Indyfest is another weekend. It's up to you bro. I always wanted to pretend to be a roadie, being a real roadie sounded like it could be fun for maybe a week or two, when I was young but way too much work to really go on the road though at 20 something I probably wouldn't have been smart enough to understand the hard work, though probably still more "fun" than baling hay.

And besides... I want to hear those monster stacks doing an outdoor concert, that is, after all, what they were built for is it not?

And maybe all your reall and wannabe roadies could buy a Roadie's tee shirt? I think around these parts you can get pretty nice tee shirts printed up for no more than $10 to $12 even in small quantities. I'd be in for that even if I was relegated to crowd control or fetching the diet Rock Stars.

And there may still be Saturday night at Roadie's if that's still Indyfest. I think you've got to do this concert. Besides, could be good advertising for Sound by Roadie's or Sound by Colter.... for when you really want to ROCK

Collapsing back at the shop to the strains of other Klipsch Pro is definitely in the plans. I'll build a bonfire and we'll hang to some cold ones. We'll trailer the speakers to the park, it's too hard on gear and people to try to cram it all into pickups and vans. For instance, I'll have a full sized pickup truck load of:

MWM-S, two of those is a load so there's 2

MSM, MSSM, MTM horns and a few monitors is #3

KP682 subs and a couple racks is #4

more monitors, cables, stands, Diet Rock Star would be truck #5

That would just be silly.

It's 11:30 and I've been out in the shop for a couple hours. All 4 MWM-S ahave been loaded with fresh cast basket K43's for some time. I just did a K41 repair and closed up both MSSM bins with freshly painted hatchways. I'm disassembling both MSM manifold systems to get the mud dauber's nests out, MTM tweeters packs are rebuilt and ready to rock. In fact one stack is set to blast off, so I'm going out there right now and kick out some jams.

This is fun, isn't it?

Michael

Roadie's - when you wanna ROCK! teehee I'm such a big KID.

p.s. I agree with the others, it'd also be fun to learn a bit about
pro sound.

Maybe you or someone needs to start a Roadie's tee shirt contest.....
I'll throw out a slogan or two or six... "Roadie's - The Legendary Sound of Klipsch