Looking for some good music...

I am tired of all of the CD's in my collection and would like to buy some more, but I can't think of anything in particular that interests me right now. Can anyone recommend anything that is really good? My favorite type of music is rock (soft/hard - no metal please). I like stuff all the way from the '60's until today, although my favorites are from the '70's when I was growing up (Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Steely Danetc.). Any suggestions for something that will make me say "Wow!! ?

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself

J Giles - Full House

The Doors - Greatest Hits

Bob Seger - Smokin' OP's

Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore

Emerson Lake Palmer - Trilogy

Savage Grace - Savage Grace (1970 release - All Along the WatchTower - the ending will raise the hair on your neck) http://www.mp3.com/artist/savage-grace/songs/?tag=tabs;songs&om_act=convert&om_clk=arttabs

There is also an album titled "Super Session" with Al Kooper, Steven Stills and Mike Bloomfield. The "Season of the Witch" cut is wicked along with the very gentle "Harvey's Tune". http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-Bloomfield/dp/B00008QSA5

I recommended these to someone recently. I think one was OOP and costs too much, maybe the Beethoven 7:

CD’s

• Gustav Holst
    The Planets
    Boston Sym/Steinberg
    DG 289 463 627-2. HIGHLY recommended.
  • Ludwig van Beethoven
    Symphony No. 7
    Marlboro Fest Orch/Casals
    CBS MYK 37233 (this may be unavailable)
  • Carl Orff
    Carmina Burana
    Philadelphia Orch/Ormandy
    Sony SK 93081
  • Joaquin Rodrigo
    Concierto de Aranjuez & other guitar concertos
    Pepe Romero, Marriner
    Phillips 438 016-2 A real favorite!
  • Gioachino Rossini
    Overtures (7)
    Academy Orch/Marriner
    EMI 077-7 49155 2
  • Camille Saint-Saens
    Symphony No. 3 for Organ and Orchestra
    BostonSO/Munch
    RCA 09026-61500-2
  • Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky
    Piano Concerto No. 1
    Van Cliburn (Tchaikovsky Festival winner), Kondrashin
    RCA 82876-61392-2 Fabulous performance of big-time 1957 win in Moscow
  • George Gershwin
    Rhapsody in Blue, American in Paris
    Bernstein, NY Philharmonic
    CBS MYK 37242
DVDs
Antonin Dvorak
Symphony No. 9, “From the New World”
Berlin Philharmonic, Abbado
Euroarts 2056048
  • Johann Sebastian Bach
    Cello Suites
    Rostropovich (solo cello)
    EMI 7243 5 99156-2 Amazing compositions and performances. Yo-Yo Ma’s is famous, but these may be better
  • Claudio Monteverdi
    Vespers of the Blessed Virgin
    John Eliot Gardiner, filmed in San Marco’s in Venice
    DG 073 035-9 Showed in Indy, may have to grow on you. A very great early Baroque work.
  • The Monteverdi, in case you want to take a flyer, is best available through Crotchet in the UK, http://www.crotchet.co.uk, or info@crotchet.co.uk. Their service and turnaround are outstanding: Claudio Monteverdi Vespro della beata Maria Vergine Bryn Terfel, Stock No. 0730359

I am tired of all of the CD's in my collection and would like to buy some more, but I can't think of anything in particular that interests me right now. Can anyone recommend anything that is really good? My favorite type of music is rock (soft/hard - no metal please). I like stuff all the way from the '60's until today, although my favorites are from the '70's when I was growing up (Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Steely Danetc.). Any suggestions for something that will make me say "Wow!! ?

I don't think anyone else can really tell you what music you'd say "wow" to. Maybe, but it would probably be better if you discovered it for yourself. I went through this type of transformation about five years ago. I just finally got sick of hearing the same classic rock songs over and over, and they didn't necessarily have the best sound to the recording's either.

So I dove into all kinds of other music and five years later I've popped my head up above all of it and I have a new genre of music that I search for and listen to regularly.

I did this mainly through Amazon. You can listen to thirty second clips of tracks from albums, and at the bottom the system gives you other albums that people who bought the album you are listening to also bought. If you click on those, you can listen to tracks from that album and a whole new set of other albums show up at the bottom, and on and on it goes. It's a great way to link bands and performers from one genre to another, all the while being able to sample the music. Like something? Put it into your favorites list and then move on.

Once I owned about fifty new CD's, I realized that I was refining this new direction by listening to certain ones all the time, and others not at all. This will lead you down a narrower path to the music that you know you will really enjoy, and that makes it more likely that you'll like the CD's you buy. I have a whole stack of CD's that are my "crap" pile that someday I'll have to sell on ebay.

Greg

Rush: moving pictures, farwell to kings, 2112, hemishperes, fly by night, presto,

Yes: Yes, fragile, close to the edge, tales, big generator, etc

The Band: the band, music from the big pink

Paul Simon: everything he ever recorded

Early eagles

early U2

any thing by the Who, Zep , CSN-Y

Pink Floyd: Meddle, WYWH, DSOTM, Animals, the wall, Division bell

The Traveling Wilburrys

Fleetwood Mac, tom petty, Heart, stevie ray,Santana ............................

Might I suggest that you widen your horizons a bit? There is a ton of great music that isn't necessarily rock, but leans that way. By flirting with other genres and stuff that never makes the radio you can find some great new (to you) music. Amazon was suggested earlier and I completely agree. Much as iTunes allows you to sample so does Amazon.

Try Pandora.com. Enter a band that you like and as soon as they play a song you know by heart skip it, or shelve it for 30 days. (these are options available to you) Listen for what you DON'T know as opposed to what you do. When you hear something you like, sample the rest of the CD on either iTunes or Amazon. If you love it, buy it. In two hours on Pandora I often by several CDs. Set up several "stations" and go with the flow. If something blows you away make IT a station and see what that leads to. It's free, and it's great. I'm buying stuff I have never heard of and my musical tastes have always been quite varied as compared to those of my friends for example.

One downfall is that amount of repetition which Pandora introduces once it figures out what YOU like. I zap songs with the 30 day restriction the second time I hear them. Keeps it fresh and new.

If it's not Rap, horrible mainstream CMT style country, or Celtic Women chances are I'll listen to it.

Little Feat, Snooky Pryor, Chris Smither, Scott Hamilton, Johnny Lang, Ry Cooder, Count Basie, Dick Hyman, Jimie Vaughn, WA Mozart, Dinah Washington, NRBQ, Glenn Miller, Keb Mo, Ibrahim Ferrer, Ruben Gonazalez, Hayes Carll, ......................................etc etc

Well,if you like 60'/70's rock you'll be wantin' to pick up MOE "Wormwood" and "Nodoy",I don't think I've ever heard a better recording and the talent is off the charts,these guys could have ruled the 70's.These guys are there with some of the best bands ever,and this is coming from a guy that got used to great bands puttin out great albums often,till the 80's bout killed guitar rock.

These two albums are reference material for me,your system will sound the best it can.

And also don't forget yard sales, thrift stores, pawn shops and the like. I've found some really good cds for $1 to $3 even as little as 50 cents at the local library's sale though most of those were nothing special by the time I got there but a few ok and a couple for the mother out law.

You might try Little Village. I bought it as with John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder, and Jim Keltner I figured how could one go wrong? Reviews are mixed and may have only produced one CD though I thought I saw a second one for sale somewhere... http://www.amazon.com/Little-Village/dp/B000002LR2 Anyway, just something I like that doesn't seem to be real well known.

p.s. scored 17 or so that I really liked in really good shape at a yard sale once... $1 each. They had a grocery sack. I probably should've bought the bag but only had $20 in my pocket and wanted a couple of bucks.... could've traded or passed on the ones I wasn't real interested in. Hopefully I'll be more prepared in the future.

Might I suggest that you widen your horizons a bit? There is a ton of great music that isn't necessarily rock,

That's why I suggested all that serious "classical" music! Try sampling a few of those from Amazon.com if you can. I suggest the Dvorak "New World" DVD, since you can watch what everyone is doing as well as hear it.

Larry

Here a a couple of cds I can recommend wholeheartedly:

John Hiatt: Stolen Moments. In my opinion his finest album. Great songwriting and musicianship. Flat out rockers like Child of the Wild Blue Yonder & Rock Back Billy. Excellent ballads as well with Bring Back Your Love to Me and Through Your Hands. All of his talents on display. A seamless effort. http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Moments-John-Hiatt/dp/B000002GJ4

Los Lobos: Kiko. One of those albums meant to be listened to in a single sitting. Garnered much critical acclaim and deserving of all of it. The peak of their considerable powers, at the time maybe the best band in America. Multiple singers and songwriters as well as instrumentalists in the band, they really have a diverse sound.Rockers like Whiskey Train and That Train don't Stop here Anymore, to darkly brooding songs like Dream in Blue and Kiko and The Lavender Moon. Other highlights, include Wake Up Dolores---nevermind the whole record is a highlight.http://www.amazon.com/Kiko-Los-Lobos/dp/B000002LRZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236269414&sr=1-1

Robert Earl Keen Jr: Walking Distance a superlative effort from this Austin, Texas singer songwriter. Countryifed Texas Bluegrass with a tinge of rock, best describes this seminal album. Opening with Down That Dusty Trail, through the 4 song suite which ends the album just a great American record. If New Life in Old Mexico don't get your blood moving, ther's not really much hope for you anymore. http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Distance-Robert-Earl-Keen/dp/B00000DFSN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236269760&sr=1-4

Richard Thompson: Mock Tudor. What do you mean you've never heard of the man many regard as one of the best guitarists to ever come down the pike? Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan have played with him and everyone from Nanci Griffith to the Pointer Sisters have covered his songs. This is a good introduction to his more modern style, which has continually evolved over the last 40+years, from his folk rock days with Fairport Convention, though his successful collaboration with then wife Linda and his varied solo career. Great Songwriting, Cooksferry Queen, Sibella, soaring electric guitar work on Hard on Me nad his brilliant acoustic work on Uninhabited Man and Sights and Sounds of London Town. His interplay with the great bassist Danny Thompson, ex Pentangle-no realtion, is worth buying the record for alone. http://www.amazon.com/Mock-Tudor-Richard-Thompson/dp/B00000JPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236270251&sr=1-1

Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth. The first Lyle album I ever owned, excellent songwriter and singer, the album has many worthy tunes that would be the highlight of an average record. Foot Stompers like I've Been To Church and You've Been so Good Up Till Now as well as excellent ballads like NorthDakota and She's Alreadt Made up her Mind. Highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judges-Ruth-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B000002OIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236270900&sr=1-1

I would be glad to make some more suggestions if you like these. [:D]

I don't think anyone else can really tell you what music you'd say "wow" to. Maybe, but it would probably be better if you discovered it for yourself. I went through this type of transformation about five years ago. I just finally got sick of hearing the same classic rock songs over and over, and they didn't necessarily have the best sound to the recording's either.

So I dove into all kinds of other music and five years later I've popped my head up above all of it and I have a new genre of music that I search for and listen to regularly.

Same here. I got so sick of hearing what seemed like the same 20 songs over and over again on the local radio, not to mention that I just didn't like the direction where "current" music was going.

Not only Amazon, as well as somebody else mentioned Pandora, but I've also been making heavy use of eMusic (yes, I know, it is MP3, but I really don't give a crap - I am not one of those anal types).

After going through quite a bit of exploration, even during the hey-days of the old MP3.com site, I've found myself now listening to and discovering quite a bit of power and progressive metal that I found that I've really enjoyed and still enjoying. I guess it is a continuation of the melodic hard rock that I've always enjoyed during the 80s and still would rather listen to.

I know the initial posting mentioned no metal, but there are a couple albums that I think are worth checking out that are more hard rock than full on balls-to-the-walls metal. These are definitly something outside of the typical "mainstream"

Place Vendom - Place Vendom:

300x300.jpg

Land of Tales - Land of Tales:

300x300.jpg

Leverage - Tides:

300x300.jpg

Leverage - Blind Fire:

517cC-E1BGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg