Why Isn't This Question In The Sub Section?

What is an example in your mind of a dumpy down firing sub?

I have to agree with this question. I don't think my SVS 20-39 PC Plus (down firing) is a dumpy down firing sub, but maybe it is? I have to say, it blends with my La Scala's in 2 channel mode, very nicely!

Dennie

What is an example in your mind of a dumpy down firing sub?

Just bass no music. In other words lots of thump but no actual musicality to it.

IMHO of course.

OK, I used to have one of those! One of those smaller Def Tech subs. YUK!!! [:'(] But, then I purchased my SVS and have never even thought of needing to upgrade. The SVS blends superbly with the La Scala's. Sometimes I actually have to check if it is on and it always is. No muddy or boominess at all.

Dennie

I'm in impressed with what I've read at SVS' site. A refreshingly low BS count (like another brand we love) and a good dollop of realism. I liked this statement -

"Measured with high resolution instrumentation via "ground plane"
technique, outdoors, at two meters' distance, a minimum of 70 feet from
reflective boundaries."

I've always used a Paradigm PW-2100 with my La Scalas (and now JubScalas) with very good results. It has the same 400-watt amp as the PW-2200, but a 10" driver rather than the 12" driver of the 2200. I chose it because it was said to be "faster" and better with music than the bigger model and haven't been disappointed.

With the relatively high bass rolloff of the LS, the sub gives its best measured response crossed over pretty high, around 150Hz, and bass instruments sound very natural, both according to me and to everyone who's ever listened to the system.