Would you trade what I have for Heresey's?

EM3

I have a coworker that is trying to get me to trade my Onkyo HT-R500 receiver and some HTiB speakers from Phillips and this includes the sub for a pair of 1974 Heresey speakers (if I am reading the info right). I know that are consective serial numbers. I am unsure of the finish they appear to be oak. I would want to refinish them and this includes new cloth for the fromts and emblems. I was wanting new bookshelf speakers for my office. The only drawback is that I would have to set them in the floor and the way my office is set up I would be in the crossfire from them really close to 1 (like 1ft) and the other would be 8 ft away. There is the chance that we will be moving offices in a year and my new onw is supposed to be 10 ft by 15 ft. I would also regained the old HTiB receiver to power them.

How hard is it to refinish speakers? This would be my first attempt if I did it.

How would you put speaker cloth on the front along with emblems?

How do you clean the cones because they are extremely dusty?

Thanks for the input.

I would have a hard time thinking that a pair of 1974 Heresy's in need of refinishing would go for more than $300. New grill cloth, time expended on refinishing as well as new badges, would add up in a hurry. I recently saw badges go on ebay for $30 a pair. If the crossovers need work etc, the tab just goes north from there. They are probably worth buying outright for $250 or so. I can't speak to the value of the equipment you are considering swapping. I would carefully examine and test the speakers first. Good luck.

I did audition them today for about 15 minutes using rock, country and classical through an IPod and they sounded good. There was no popping or cracking sounds. I even cranked them to make sure and they sounded ok.

Hmmmmm.....

1. relax, everything is possible

2. read anything you can written by Groomlakearea51. Marshall is one of our Heritage refinishing-on-a-budget gurus.

3. read Greg928s's stuff and drool a lot.

4. you'll be fine, glad you're keeping the Heresies.

1. relax, everything is possible

2. read anything you can written by Groomlakearea51. Marshall is one of our Heritage refinishing-on-a-budget gurus.

3. read Greg928s's stuff and drool a lot.

4. you'll be fine, glad you're keeping the Heresies.

Thanks for the reply but could you provide a few links since there is a vast amount of information. It's kind of overwhelming. Also, the fellow I work with has offered to trade me his speakers for my equipment and since you said "you'll be fine glad you're keeping the Hersies" I will translate that into it is a good deal and trade the equipment for the speakers? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Colterphoto 1 I appreciate it.

Your initial post confuses me a little. Are you using the items your considering for trade. I don't know the value of the items but i'd rather have the heresy's assuming all drivers work and they aren't beat to death.

sorry I thought he was trying to bribe you with all that stuff to get you to give HIM your Heresies.

depends on the value of all that stuff to you. Working Heresies in any condition usually bring about standard $300. So that's their value. Whether or not that other stuff is worth more is up to you. Prolly not. But we hope you find some nice Heresies for your office some day.

Can't help with threads, have to ask you to do the research and reading yourself. It's all here. Try 2 channel and the updates forums and use the SEARCH function. Or just contact those members directly, GLA usually knows where his best 'how to' threads are.

Crap I never thought about having to remove the guts of the speaker before doing anything to it. I can tear it apart but getting it back together may be another story. I've looked at some speaker fabric that replicates the look of older radios from the 30's and 40's and some of it looks really cool. I think with a darker finish they would look great> But.....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys the offer still stands on the Heresy set. I am still thinking about it. I have decided they would be too big for my current office. I can buy a small set of Polks (gasp) that would suit the office just fine. But these could become a part of the house in the upstairs provided the wife doesn't kill me or if things get real bad an additional set to my new bachelor pad.

Now here is what I know about the speakers they are HBR 147X889 and HBR 147X890. So if my research is right I know that means Heresy Birch Raw made in 1982? and the serial number are 889 and 890? Am I right?

I was wondering instead of refinishing with veneer if I could stip the finish off that is on them and use some light color wood filler if needed. It's a light color and use a Walnut stain on them and replace the grill cloth with something like this http://www.grillecloth.com/pages/gallery.php It's the Philco pattern 5. Now I have no idea what to do about the board where the grill cloth attaches to. As far as the guts go inside I can take a bunch of digital photos to make sure it all goes back together right and working I hope.

Woodworking is new to me.

Any thoughts?

'82's should be a cinch to take apart if that was a concern. They should have removable grills you could re-fabric and screws holding on the back panel giving complete access to the innards.

BTW - A 4 year old could take them apart and put them back together. There's only one way to do it. Once you open them up you'll understand.