Tapered Array Technology in Floorstanders

willland

I don't know if this question has ever been asked but would this technology work in say an RF-63 or RF-82 for example? Three woofers(RF-63) operating to say 1000hz and then releasing to one or two woofers and then crossing over to the tweeter at maybe 1700hz? A two and a half way speaker like the Ref. center channels. Maybe a way for Klipsch to upgrade the Reference series without having any major new design change while keeping the R&D cost down. Any techie responses welcomed.

Bill

Any form of tapered array on the vertically aligned woofers only allows you to steer the polar lobe up and down, and making it less or more wide in the vertical plane.

In stock form, these speakers already have a nominally flat frequency response when sitting on-axis and I can't imagine many cases where the listening position would be very far off axis. I don't see any widening or steering of the vertical polars as necessarily improving the power response of the system without additional EQ and you're already getting a good response on-axis.

So initially I wouldn't expect to see dramatic improvements, while introducing a lot of extra complexity/cost. I wonder if Klipsch is offering some form of tapered array on the P-39f? I think they might be?