What Jazz Are You Listening Right At This Moment.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ART Blakey "Live Messengers"

Blue Note Jazz Clasic Series, Very Nice

Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, Jymie Merriot

for 3 of the 4 sides, then

Clifford Brown, Lou Donaldson, Horace Silver, and Curley Russell on side 4, 1954 lost Birdland Session

Just finished: Dave Brubeck Quartet - London Flat, London Sharp

London Flat London Sharp

Now onto Time Out

Time Out

Both on CD. I think I have a nice LP copy that I may have scored from the pile of LPs that Artto donated and JamesV hauled down to Pilgrimage 2008. Thanks Artto and James! Should be fun to compare.

Just finished: Dave Brubeck Quartet - London Flat, London Sharp

London Flat London Sharp

Don't you just love Brubeck. He has an amazing history as a man too.

He told the story at Newport (I think 3 summers ago) atthe Jazz Festival, of how he came up with the title London Flat. It seems an agent had booked him to a large number of smaller venues all over the UK and everyday they were on this tour it was a couple of over crowded buses and one night stands. Finally he was so exhuasted and the accomodations were so bad he asked that he would not travel with the equipment bus and he and the musicians got a Flat in London. They would drive in and out of London daily to whatever direction they needed to in order to make that night's concert.

As bad as the Lonon flat they rented was, it was always better than the hotels and BBs they stayed at on the road. Hence the tune, London Flat.

Don't you just love Brubeck. He has an amazing history as a man too.

He told the story at Newport (I think 3 summers ago) atthe Jazz Festival, of how he came up with the title London Flat. It seems an agent had booked him to a large number of smaller venues all over the UK and everyday they were on this tour it was a couple of over crowded buses and one night stands. Finally he was so exhuasted and the accomodations were so bad he asked that he would not travel with the equipment bus and he and the musicians got a Flat in London. They would drive in and out of London daily to whatever direction they needed to in order to make that night's concert.

As bad as the Lonon flat they rented was, it was always better than the hotels and BBs they stayed at on the road. Hence the tune, London Flat.

I find it hard not to love Dave Brubeck especially when you hear of his history.

I've not heard the story about "London Flat". Thanks for posting.

I'd love to see him some day. I think he's still doing some dates though not as many as in the past I'm sure. There was a post about his visit to an universtiy in Texas with a great jazz program (but I can't remember the name even though I thought I should go catch some music there when we lived in the Dallas area 15 or so years ago). where he played with the students...