Vent on hiring a house cleaning person

USNRET

I have agreed to hire someone to clean the house for the wife. I posted on a local county forum in "Wanted Goods or Services" looking for that person. I stated to PM me if interested to obtain contact number. 13 people responed with 'call me at this number" and I really need money and have been cleaning for x number of years, etc. I responded with "call my wife at --------). Two people called and came over for a look see and 'interview'. First one came in and stated how much they hate cleaning and that her house is a mess and got POed when th ewife told her to put her cigarette out before coming in. I don't get it, people complain they have no work, economy this, economy that but no one that claims to be in this line of work wants to WORK. I refuse to call the numbers provided, if you want the job CALL. My wife says I'm wrong and should call them, I think not.

Stay at home and wait on the gubment check?

Your request to have them call your wife is certainly not out of line. If someone can not follow basic instructions or put out the effort to do so may not be the person you want working in your home. I'm trying to keep a dozen organized and motivated at my job and it can be challenging sometimes. Take your time and if it takes 100 interviews it will be worth it because the good ones are out there.

Your request to have them call your wife is certainly not out of line. If someone can not follow basic instructions or put out the effort to do so may not be the person you want working in your home. I'm trying to keep a dozen organized and motivated at my job and it can be challenging sometimes. Take your time and if it takes 100 interviews it will be worth it because the good ones are out there.

That's my thoughts as well. I expect each contact to be part of the application/interview process. You would be amazed at the 'resumes' I get for each opening at work, makes for a lot of laughs. I suggested to my better half to walk each person out to their car and take a glance on how they maintain the cleanliness of the interior, she didn't get the point.

I have never regretted moving from management to technical, I have enough problems without having to babysit or be a marriage counselor. Went from managing 300 directs to "lead" of 8 and never looked back.

It is hard as heck to find someone to do a decent job of cleaning.

I have on occasion found someone through a reference of a neighbor. The good ones are usually booked up. I have asked some of these folks to let me know when they have a cancellation. Also if they could get me in once a month. Once you get on someone's book, even as an occasional customer you are more likely to get a regular time when they have slack.

One other thing that should work, in theory, is to hire a cleaning service. Here there is usually someone supervising the work of the grunts who actually do the cleaning. Then you have someone to complain to if stuff doesn't get done. we've had mixed results doing this.

Don't even get me going on having to lock away valuable things.

I have had housecleaning services and a live-in at one time (when the kids we're young it was cheaper than day care). I found them to be pretty much like I have found gardening services, superficially mediocre at their work. They come through the house, polish some chrome, vacuum, dust and they're gone. Rarely did they do the kind of job you do yourself or expect for how much they get paid. Same with gardeners. It is mow, blow and go. Could be that my expectations are too high or that I am too cheap. In any case the old adage applies. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Oh, I know. It is so hard to find good cleaning and groundskeeping people. Try finding someone to keep your cars clean and polished, that's even more difficult.

I hired a crew to keep my Bentley's (JUST THE BENTLEY'S!!) clean as I don't get many occasions to drive them and they couldn't even remember which type of leather cleaner that I wanted used.

To make matters worse, when they had to polish my many cars they used the Zymol Vintage glaze when I specifically stated that I wanted them to use the Royale glaze! The Vintage glaze is only to be used on the Maybach, the Royale glaze is for the Bentley's and the Bugatti's. What is wrong with some people?

Oh, I know. It is so hard to find good cleaning and groundskeeping people. Try finding someone to keep your cars clean and polished, that's even more difficult.

I hired a crew to keep my Bentley's (JUST THE BENTLEY'S!!) clean as I don't get many occasions to drive them and they couldn't even remember which type of leather cleaner that I wanted used.

They used the Zymol Vintage glaze when I specifically stated that I wanted them to use the Royale glaze! The Vintage glaze is only to be used on the Maybach, the Royale glaze is for the Bentley's and the Bugatti's. What is wrong with some people?

LOL !!!... I hope it was meant to be funny. If not I envy you.

I've hired a couple of cleaning ladies in the past but they keep scooting out from under me because of all the soap suds...

and that in Thailand is known as the double foamy, ask any west pac sailor.

That's my thoughts as well. I expect each contact to be part of the application/interview process. You would be amazed at the 'resumes' I get for each opening at work, makes for a lot of laughs. I suggested to my better half to walk each person out to their car and take a glance on how they maintain the cleanliness of the interior, she didn't get the point.

I have never regretted moving from management to technical, I have enough problems without having to babysit or be a marriage counselor. Went from managing 300 directs to "lead" of 8 and never looked back.

That is a great idea, walking them out to their car just to see if they are driving a vehicle full of garbage. Man, you are thinking!

more anger. On the same forum (need a new one), a gent was advertising that he hauled away debris from your house and was looking for work. Well, I just rebuilt my 16x16 dock and have that wood. I have a thousand feet or so of removed carpet and misc items where I have been installing hardwood. So I figure that I would have to make 5 or more trips to the dump and why not see what the charge would be. On Saturday I responed to him and he wants to come take a look on Sun at noon, fine, come on by. At 5 PM Sun I leave him a voice mail. On Monday monrning I got an email that he 'got busy' and didn't come by, he'll come by on Monday to take a look. NO show again.

Wait until you hire them, they will do a good job for a while then slack off.

Here is how I see it. Just about everywhere there are people who have jobs that are above their skill level, including cleaning people. I am not sure how hard it is but the concept of taking the pillow liners off when they change the sheets. We have 4 pillows and do not wind up with 4 liners. I just can't figure it out.

My wife though that I was complaining too much about the old ones, until they put a bleach mixture in a Windex bottle. She went to clean the windows in her new car and I never heard so many explicatives from my nice sweet wife. Ouch. She now agrees. I also had to tell them that we have soft water and not to use so much Murphy Oil soap. They never got it and our railings were sticky when they were done wiping them down. Like I said, they were reaching too far and the job of wiping stuff with a rag was beyond their technical abilities.

I've hired a couple of cleaning ladies in the past but they keep scooting out from under me because of all the soap suds...

Not sure if I understand. Got any pictures or movies?

I remember seeing that on Sin Cities, a popular show on the Showcase network. The host visits various cities and enjoys the nightlife. The "double bubbly" looked like a lot of fun.