Amos Cornscalla

amos

Thanks to the forum members for the inspiration. Thanks to Bob at B&K Sound for the parts and advise. Thanks to Craig at NOS Valves for the work on my Scott 299. As you can see, I need to finish cleaning up and painting the 511B's and make the curved grill for the LF section. I couldn't wait to show someone.

post-30221-13819454629258_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work. More pictures please. Rundown of the process and materials used please.

Greg

MDF for cabinet. Paper backed walnut veneer from Oakwood Veneer. Veneer applied to cabinet with Titan DX contact cement. Very good stuff, much better than what you can get at Home Depot. Curly maple. Black paint is semi-gloss latex. Finish is Varathane semi-gloss poly. Figured walnet is some raw veneer purchased on Ebay. Not recommended, I think what you buy on Ebay is stuff pro's throw away. It was very wavy. When you tried to push it flat it would crack into many pieces. I mixed 1 part wood glue with 2 parts water, applied it to both sides, placed it between pieces of wax paper and mdf scraps, and pressed it in the vise. This worked okay. It took along time for the pieces to become dimensionally stable, and I always kept them between sheets of mdf to help prevent warping again. I haven't devised a suitable method of getting straight and square edges for joining, but I managed. Contact cement for raw veneer never worked for me. Always ended up with joints pulling apart. So I built my favorite tool of this project. A vacuum press. Plans from Joewoodworker.com. I used cold press veneer glue and glued the taped together pieces to some of the leftover paper backed veneer. No joint separation, no bubbles, no glue bleed through. Now I could use contact cement to apply it to the curved surface of the cabinet. The press cost me approx $30.00. I used one of my cars as a vacuum source. 15.5 in hg, or about 7.6 lbs per sq inch. Just cool.

I hope this ramble is close to what you wanted. Communication is NOT one of my skills.

Thanks for all the kind comments.