"V-Trac" Midrange Horn Upgrade For Khorns

What's so funny to me about all this is that the drivers sitting alone on top of my Khorn tophats sounded almost identical to me as when they were in the horns!

Yes there was a difference, mostly in the way the sound was directed into the room, but the tonality of the sound was almost identical.

Greg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, I'm all square now. I saw that plot earlier in the thread -- I thought it was one of JC's using a different software application.

I wonder why the plot from the ferrite version doesn't show the peak -- could it be they smoothed it out? It still leaves the question as to why Bob's plot doesn't show it. I mean, the peak is 5dB up from the rest of the response. If it were me I'd be tempted to call BMS and ask them why the 4592ND-mid has the peak and the 4591 doesn't.

I wonder why the plot from the ferrite version doesn't show the peak -- could it be they smoothed it out? It still leaves the question as to why Bob's plot doesn't show it. I mean, the peak is 5dB up from the rest of the response. If it were me I'd be tempted to call BMS and ask them why the 4592ND-mid has the peak and the 4591 doesn't.

I'll email them and ask. I got a response directly from one of their engineers when I asked for the curve, so I can reply right back to him. In the email he did say these were preliminary measurement drawings.

Greg

In the email he did say these were preliminary measurement drawings.

Now I understand. They sent some graph paper to some guy over in Amsterdam, and let him draw the graphs with a sharpie after he did up some hash. Those twitches will get you every time. [*-)]

The real proof is in the hearing, and everyone likes what they hear. That's the good part!

Bruce

When I was running curves...I had never seen the plot Greg had from BMS. I was beating myself up figuring out just WTF was going on. I moved that freakin rig all over the yard. I thought I might be getting some reflection off the ground and that is the reason I started pointing the combo at the sky....geesh.

Anyway Greg.....you have a great horn there.

I haven't listened to music through this thing, but this is the upgrade to squeeze out the most of what can fit w/in the standard top hat.

Greg when you sent me what was the maximum depth the horn could be, did I mess up or was it that the driver was bigger than expected causing slightly too much length?

Hey...maybe next time.......you could "fold" the horn[8-|]

jc

Hey...maybe next time.......you could "fold" the horn

Ha ha -- hey, it would definitely make shipping a little easier. :)

Craig's completely ga-ga over the sound he's getting out of this set up -- so it must sound pretty damn good.

Greg when you sent me what was the maximum depth the horn could be, did I mess up or was it that the driver was bigger than expected causing slightly too much length?

That was a long time ago JC! The horn could be 1-1/2' longer and everything would still fit under my Khorn tophats.

Greg

Greg: Did you happen to try the K55 on your horn as comparrison to your BMS driver? Just cruious as to the quality difference. I am just going through options on how to integrate the upgrade without dropping almost $2K.

Greg: Did you happen to try the K55 on your horn as comparrison to your BMS driver? Just cruious as to the quality difference. I am just going through options on how to integrate the upgrade without dropping almost $2K.

Rudy,

You would have to use an adapter to go from the 1 inch k55 to the 2 inch BMS. I'm not sure how happy you would be with that, as the driver is probably making more of a quality difference jump in performance than the horn. And that is not meaning anything negative about the V-Trac horns.

Bruce

Bruce: I figured there would have to be some adaptor to go from the threaded driver to the wood horn. In case I decide to go to this upgrade, I might have to get the horns first and later get a the 2" driver. I was wondering if Greg had toyed around with the K55 and his horn. I'm pretty sure Al's setup uses the K55 as one of the options.

Guest David H

Rudy, I toyed around with using the K-55 on a 2 inch horn, and tought it sounded quite good. When I ran the curves I noticed several response dips. Overall, I still think you could get away with this for a while as you save up for the drivers. BTW, it would be unfair to judge the VTRAC until it is configured with the correct driver and crossover as it is intended.

Dave

Dave: I totally agree, the product as Greg set it up is the only way to judge. I am on the list for the demo so should get to hear the real deal. I figure I'm going to love the improvements and already have the ALK universal and the CT125's on my Khorns. Just looking ahead in anticipation. :-)

I figured there would have to be some adaptor to go from the threaded driver to the wood horn.

I wonder if the Electro Voice ADH-5 ("from 1 screw-on to 2 bolt-on") adapter would work for this. Read about it here.

No, I wanted to get away from the K55 completely. I had two objectives with this upgrade, to move up to a better quality driver, and to increase the proportion of sound coming from the driver versus the horn.

Bruce is correct, you will really notice the difference with the driver upgrade more than the horn upgrade.

Rudy, are you saying that you want to buy the V-Trac horns and use the K55's in them for a while until you can afford to buy the BMS drivers?

Greg

Rudy, are you saying that you want to buy the V-Trac horns and use the K55's in them for a while until you can afford to buy the BMS drivers?

Greg

Greg: I'm not sure how this will all play out, I have to listen to them first. But, based on the rave reviews so far, I'm sure I will want the upgrade. Heck, I'm half way there with the ALK universals and the CT-125's.....both which I consider excellent upgrades. I'm just thinking about the various options available in case I am not done with my upgrades....which I thought I was.

in case I am not done with my upgrades....which I thought I was.

That's a real knee slapper, there.

I don't dare demo them on my LS. But I will try those big JBL horns and 12 inch mid bass units at some time... They are mostly in storage right now. Isn't it funny... from JC's storage to mine.

Bruce

Greg

Greg: I'm not sure how this will all play out, I have to listen to them first. But, based on the rave reviews so far, I'm sure I will want the upgrade. Heck, I'm half way there with the ALK universals and the CT-125's.....both which I consider excellent upgrades. I'm just thinking about the various options available in case I am not done with my upgrades....which I thought I was.

You're #7 on the list, so it's going to be a while before you get the demo units, but I would try to be patient and wait to hear them. If you think you're going to end up with the V-Tracs and the BMS drivers at some point, then my advice is to not spend any money on interim drivers, just wait until you can afford both. If saving that much money is the issue, then buy the drivers and when you get the rest of the cash, buy the V-Tracs.

Greg

Thanks Greg. I'm in no rush, just day dreaming and researching. I also have another issue which has to do with timbre matching in my HT. If I change the Khorns, then my center La Scala will be left with the current K55 and horn. So many problems, so little money....