feeding the TSCM fever

Guest " "

• 1 month later...

The theater is fully functional now after several wiring glitches.    Ended up bi-amping the TSCMs and using the Marantz speaker balancing.    A few minor mods to my ear and I absolutely love it.     As good as any home sound system I have heard.   The $ spent on the TSCMs was a really good investment.   Time to start building my TUBA HT.

• Like 1

Final:   On the theater, all is in and working; down to final wiring cleanup and bundling.     Now on to the TUBA.     Lots of lessons learned about a home theater.   Any way thanks to all those who assisted in the process.   One general suggestion:   Use only top spec Ethernet and HDMI cables since distance is a serious problem with lessor cables and whenever possible limit the number of connectors since they can cause impedance bumps and are sources of signal degradation;  far better a single long wire then several shorter ones with connectors.   As TV bandwidths grow this is an ever increasing problem.

P1070770.JPG

P1070764.JPG

P1070769.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 1HOHDude said:

twistedcrankcammer

Would love to have a set of the doubles.   Should you run across a set I am in the market!       Do you know if there is an inherent bottom to the TSCM bin that would keep a lower resonance driver from lowering the frequency coverage?

If you want Roger to see this post type @twistedcrankcammer   Basically, you type @, then start typing his forum name.  When you see his forum name appear, select it and it will highlight in blue like above.  He will get an alert next time he logs on.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, 1HOHDude said:

twistedcrankcammer

Would love to have a set of the doubles.   Should you run across a set I am in the market!       Do you know if there is an inherent bottom to the TSCM bin that would keep a lower resonance driver from lowering the frequency coverage?

These are Horn bass bins, not direct radiators!

A horn produces 10 times as much output as a direct radiator of the same excursion.

Horn frequency is determined by the length of said horn, so the answer to your question is that "NO", a lower frequency driver will not ,make the horn play lower frequencies.

Also, changing the throw volume of the driver may call for a needed change in the restriction at the mouth of the horn.

You can play with different Klipsch drivers available over the years with limited positive results, but the best way is to tri-amp the speakers and roll on the bass output sooner, or to buy very good, qualified subs to pair with the speakers. If you are space limited, I can personally recommend a pair of Velodyne HGS-18II subs as an excellent choice, and they will play down to 15 Hz, or a pair of Velodyne DD-18s will play down to 13 Hz. If the extra space is a no issue, I recommend pairing a horn loaded sub such as the high output KPT-1802, but the 1802 rolls off at 20 Hz. A high output 15 Hz or 13 Hz horn seems to be a unicorn.  :)

Roger

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, CECAA850 said:

Roger, the Lil Wrecker tapped horn I built has an fs of 17hz but was about 29 cubic ft.  A convenational horn good to 15hz would be enormous. 

But that is exactly what I want and NEED Carl  ;) a 15 Hz true conventional horn!

Roger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

But that is exactly what I want and NEED Carl  ;) a 15 Hz true conventional horn!

Roger

It'll have to be outside or in a garage then as you'd never fit it thorough a door.  Either that or you'd have to build it in your living room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

It'll have to be outside or in a garage then as you'd never fit it thorough a door.  Either that or you'd have to build it in your living room.

Could you design one Carl?

By the way, my 20 KP-600 boxes are getting here from Louisianna tomorrow....

Roger

• Like 1