feeding the TSCM fever

Guest " "

8 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

My statement was a direct quote from Roy, so I would ask you to check that Jason.

Roger

I think you misremembered Roger.  Spec sheet says down 10dB @ 21hz.  It does state continuous 130dB but not at what frequency.   Higher would be my guess.

• Like 1

Next to last report:    Theater in and all finally working.  [ Two bad connectors, a defective $100 HDMI cable, a Direct TV decoder that did not work with HDMI and a war for control between my projector and my AVR not withstanding.]  As part of the process I changed out the tweeters with B&C    DE110 speakers, the woofers with Crites cast frame replacements with new ALK steep slope 400/5800 crossovers since the two cabs came with radically different crossovers.    Turned the auto-former connections for the Squawkers for an additional  3db loss to get a bit of more low end as compared to the squawkers.    The result has been nothing less than spectacular with respect to both low and high frequency response and as to stereo effect.    Long live the TSCM!    Think I will pass on going to double speaker bins as I think these things are now better than my ears.

Give me a month to recover and I will assemble the TUBA speaker I acquired in 50 pieces back together again with a new B & C amplifier and woofer.  Not as big and bad as that monster above but usable audio down to 25 cps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2010 at 8:12 AM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I found out something new about TSCMs to share with the Forum, if you look at the brochure in the very first post of this thread, that was posted by speakerfritz, and you enlarge that photo, you will see the 2" throat 400 horn has three screws on either side of the horn. I own the first TSCM ever sold by Klipsch, the top section is serial number 1001 and the Bass bin is serial number 1002. I also have a top section from 1984. Both of these early TSCM tops have the 400 horn with three screws on either side. The rest of my top sections are from 1985 and 1987, these tops have 8 screws, 2 on the right, two on the left, two on top and two on the bottom section of the 400 horn. All the pictures Michael Colter took at my barn show this newer style horn. In addition, the newer horn is thicker and comes flush with the thickness of the tweeter, the earlier horn is much thinner. In addition to this, the earlier horn is more of a flat finish and shows the fiberglass strands more, while the later ones have more of a gloss finish. None of my top sections have the traditional chrome hook up cup as shown on the one in the brochure that you see on all the other pro Klipsch of this era.

Roger

Here is a really good picture of the '84 compared with the '85+ TSCM tops.    Count the screws.

http://www.tmraudio.com/product/xx-618

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 3:30 PM, 1HOHDude said:

Here is a really good picture of the '84 compared with the '85+ TSCM tops.    Count the screws.

http://www.tmraudio.com/product/xx-618

As stated previously, I own serial # 0001 and serial # 0002 Cabinets.

The K-400 midrange horn on that speaker has the three screws on both vertical sides of the horn, but has no screws what-so-ever on the top and botom Horizontal parts of the horn. I am rather suprized that the horn does not have stress cracks from the lack of support mounting points on this one.  ;)

Roger

• Like 1

Well you certainly have a point that is well shown in the pictures.     From an engineering point of view I am mindful of the fastener holding the driver end of the horn to the case.   This makes the force direction at a right angle to the screws which is a strength direction.

• 4 years later...
On 3/7/2017 at 3:43 PM, 1HOHDude said:

One more thought... The crossover of the '84 consists of  3 r-c filters; almost absurdly simple.   The 85 has something like twice the number of parts including diode protection for the k78s.

K-77's ??

I just saw your posts and the pictures of the 84 and 85 screws does not come up. I have seven TSCM tops including the first one ever made, I orriginally owned eleven TSCM bass cabinets so I have both newer and older TSCM's plus top and bottom cabinet 1001 and 1002, that top hat has three screws on either side of the K-400 horn.  

Roger

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I am currently at 29 boxes of KP-600s 0or nine plus stacks. I am picking up a few more.

Rog

Roger ----that's a lot of  sound ,  enough for a large 2k  member club   --- do you have the amplifiers and the mixing console to go with that gear --

1 hour ago, 001 said:

Roger ----that's a lot of  sound ,  enough for a large 2k  member club   --- do you have the amplifiers and the mixing console to go with that gear --

No amplifiers yet although my brother in Law does and wants to rent four stacks for a venue of 8,000 people. My buddy Joey Brogna has eight stacks of KP-600's and does Pro Sound with them and he says two stacks are enough for a venue of 5,000 people. If you have heard Kevin Harmons stacks, Kev is way under amped for the two stacks that he originally owned and changed nothin power wise when he went to four stacks so if that is the only ones you have personally heard, you have not even heard their full potential yet///  :D

I want to eventually set up for a complete big venue system with my own amplifiers and have my brother in Law do and teach me the DJ business he has been doing on the side for 15 years but he only does High School Prons, Dances, and weddings and is not set up for anything really big.

Roger

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 9:44 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

No amplifiers yet although my brother in Law does and wants to rent four stacks for a venue of 8,000 people.

8000 people ,  with  4  stacks ---- for PA ,  yes -

On 7/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I want to eventually set up for a complete big venue system with my own amplifiers and have my brother in Law do and teach me the DJ business he has been doing on the side for 15 years but he only does High School Prons, Dances, and weddings and is not set up for anything really big.

Roger

Holla at ya boi, Roger. I can help you out on the deejay front, that's pretty much me every weekend for the past 16 years...

On 7/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I am currently at 29 boxes of KP-600s 0or nine plus stacks. I am picking up a few more.

Rog

lol, the first step to being cured is to recognize and admit you have a problem.

Collecting 29 rare stamps?  No problem....  how about 29 sets of rare antique china sets or watches....  But those 600's are huge  lol.

(of course I'm accusing you of having a problem because I'm jealous)

:emotion-21:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1