feeding the TSCM fever

Guest " "

• 11 months later...

Had to BUMP Indy Roger doing spring cleaning on the two TSCM Bass bins I sold him.

***, I only have 9 left, what am I to do? Devil

I thought the plans was 7.1 surround? That'd leave 2 to wheel out of yard parties? If you're running out of room I might be able to find some storage space? LOL.

If you're changing direction... maybe a TSCM "Wall of Voodoo" ?

• Like 1

Well, along with the KP-600s, I have started colecting MCM stuff (it's a sickness) I now have 5 MWM bins, and Know where 4 more can be bought cheap. First I am looking at another sub, and I still have alot to do on my KP-600s before they are finished, but if I can get the help, I'd like to take a picture of 9 TSCMs sitting in a row on top of 9 MWM double bins, with a stack of KP-600s on the outside of either end. [;)]

PS: Not selling anything.

Roger

• Like 1

Well, along with the KP-600s, I have started colecting MCM stuf (it's a sickness) I now have 5 MWM bins, and Know where 4 more can be bought cheap. First i am looking at another sub, and I still have alot to do on my KP-600s before they are finished, but if I can get the help, I'd like to take a picture of 9 TSCMs sitting in a row on top of 9 MWM double bins, with a stack of KP-600s on the outside of either end. Wink

Roger

[:D] Maybe I could burn a vacation day and ride out with CP1? Sounds like a good stress relief from the corporte world.

• Like 1

Well, along with the KP-600s, I have started colecting MCM stuf (it's a sickness) I now have 5 MWM bins, and Know where 4 more can be bought cheap. First i am looking at another sub, and I still have alot to do on my KP-600s before they are finished, but if I can get the help, I'd like to take a picture of 9 TSCMs sitting in a row on top of 9 MWM double bins, with a stack of KP-600s on the outside of either end. Wink

Roger

Big Smile Maybe I could burn a vacation day and ride out with CP1? Sounds like a good stress relief from the corporte world.

OWWWWWW my BACK!!! [:o] LOL, you guys are nuts but I guess I probably helped fuel this Klipsch Pro madness several years ago. To think that when I went to work with Klipsch I had no idea about what a TSCM or KP600 system even was! It's been a fun adventure tracking down these beasts, sharing refurbish info with others, and watching the collections of others grow. There's a half dozen guys here on Forum with collections equal to or surpassing mine. Remember to plug em in and give em a listen once in a while. And think of me whenever you create one of those mountainous photos!

Michael

• Like 1

OWWWWWW my BACK!!! Surprise LOL, you guys are nuts but I guess I probably helped fuel this Klipsch Pro madness several years ago. To think that when I went to work with Klipsch I had no idea about what a TSCM or KP600 system even was! It's been a fun adventure tracking down these beasts, sharing refurbish info with others, and watching the collections of others grow. There's a half dozen guys here on Forum with collections equal to or surpassing mine. Remember to plug em in and give em a listen once in a while. And think of me whenever you create one of those mountainous photos!

It is your fault Michael. LOL. I've only heard Indy Roger's TSCM bass bins. Of course I've seen and heard a couple of decent sized stacks of yours. Maybe smallish compared to 9 MWMs and TSCMs though not sure how many of these Twisted Roger can drive at once? I've yet to here KP600's though maybe you'll have yours up and running soon?

Twisted Roger reallly needs someone like GMLA51's minion. Young and with a strong back.

• Like 1

I am available for the heftin' and totin' boss, but my location is most certainly a limiting factor, along with being a puny earthling.

Just think of how much fun we will have, when the zombie invasion begins and we'll be able to make their heads explode at 30+ yards!LOL

• 4 weeks later...

By the way this ad was incorrect in stating that the Klipsch theater systems were distributed worldwide by John F Allen. You may note that Allen's HPS4000 website shows Klipsch product but does NOT mention any association to Klipsch nor the Klipsch connection.

I know for sure that Allen's systems were built by Gary Gillum, former Klipsch Chief Engineer, who shared the patent with PWK on the MCM-1900, which is the TSCM-3 in the interview. Gillum did so with PWK's blessing and even bought up some of the old tools to make some of the horn tweeters (EV?) amd ended up selling some part back to Klipsch. Gillum improved on the woofer section by adding bracing, which you see in the HPS-4000 ads. Also Gillum's son came up with the 555 woofer section, which is like a "super LaScala" bin. When I spoke to Gary Gillum on the phone (lengthy conversation with a retiered 70-year old) he filled me in on a lot of these details, but he said, "Man I gotta think back over 30 years on this stuff."

So it may be true that Allen was Worldwide distributor originally, for a short while, but kept the relationship with Gillum after he left Kllipsch to work out of his homestead in Missouri and to build systems for Allen's sound company. Gillum told me he built hundreds of MWM bass bins and there was no finer bass that he'd ever heard out there and that they wowed the crowd with the original system at an AES convetion in the late 70's.

OH, btw, Gillum said there has never been a midrange section to equal the POWER DENSITY of the quad K-55 manifold that PWK designed for the MCM-1900 and the TSCM. As far as he knew, no one ever blew one up because it got stupid loud before that would happen.

This is also what John Allen is using in his HPS-4000 sytem. The obsolete Gauss driver is no longer made, but one can still get diaphragms for it, I guess. PWK liked that driver because it went out to 15Khz. on the original 3-way but it was too fragile for PA use, althoug it sounded good, even in the original 2-way setup, the MCM evolved into a monster 4-way system with the midbass horn and the quad manifold in the upper squawker.

well woopy do ClaudeJ1. I will be forever impressed by your vast knowledge and insight into the earlier days of Klipsch. As that you quoted my comment about John F Allen I'll take it that you directed your words at me, with the intention to "educate" me about John Allen, Gary Gillum, Paul Klipsch et al. Do you have any idea to whom you just enlightened about Klipsch history? Like my friend Gary Gillum, I too go "back over 30 years on this stuff". Cheers!

As that you quoted my comment about John F Allen I'll take it that you directed your words at me, with the intention to "educate" me about John Allen, Gary Gillum, Paul Klipsch et al. Do you have any idea to whom you just enlightened about Klipsch history? Like my friend Gary Gillum, I too go "back over 30 years on this stuff". Cheers!

Sorry if it sounded that way, I was not really trying to correct anything, or impress anyone, just trying to share and ADD my little bit as a result of conversations I had about the MWM's in particular with GG. I have no clue about your past, since you only have 49 posts here, but I woudn't presume anything either way.

I invested quite a bit of time and money in those MWM bins for my own system, with various woofer combinations, so I tend to jump into these rare moments when they become a hot topic. I just used your mention of the HPS-4000/Allen as a springboard for further comment, that's all...Peace, Love, Beatles.

Back to my original post on this subject of TSCM. John F Allen and co were NEVER the worldwide distributors for Klipsch products of any kind let alone it's cinema systems unless you consider the USA as worldwide. This is contrary to whatever he advertised. Allen was miffed that Klipsch sold the professional/industrial products division to WWR Technologies, (doing business as Klipsch Professional), who advanced the product line and subsequently boosted sales competing with HPS. Allen had to purchase TSCM products from Klipsch Pro and Gary Gillum did produce some MCM and Heresy "knock-offs". I can assure you that was without the blessing of PWK. Allen's volume of sales as a competitor were considered so minimal that I turned a blind eye to the fact that HPS systems were primarilly Klipsch product being produced by G2 for John Allen. I knew that whatever G2 produced from that line would still be of the highest integrity and would not harm Klipsch. So if you come accross any of those Gary Gillum produced goodies then do revere them for what they are.

HPS-4000 systems and John F Allen no longer mention their Klipsch heritage and associations...........make your own mind up about that.

Claude .....my name is Ian Thacker and I pop in from time to time on this forum. I offer insight for those interested in how Klipch developed in the commercial products arena and to keep in touch with a few of the old farts like me left from earlier days of Klipsch. I became a Klipsch aficionado back in the late 1960's and 1978 I took the reins of distribution for all Klipsch products in Australasia and the south Pacific. (someone had to call on all those islands and I bet there are still many HP1's & CP1's hanging in beach bars) This eventually led to me relocating to Hope AR and to work for Klipsch and Associates. I was around when PWK sold the company to Fred Klipsch. When Fred sold the pro division I became its leader and Paul and I remained good friends (enjoying many a bottle of Bushmills together). I am not here to blow any horn .....but I will brag that my TV sound system is based around a pair of KG2's. KG2 as in K - G squared ..................Klipsch - Gary Gillum. Cheers!

Ian, I'm sure many of us would love to hear some tech-speak and tales of those formative days. Could you start a thread re Pro History for us?

How did the decision to begin producing professional products come about?

Trace the development of the HP-1, CP-1 (pro Heresy and Cornwall), their evolution into HI/HIP/HSM, the KP301, LSI and so forth.

And is true that on Friday afternoons the guys would roll a set of MCM's out side the shop and enjoy a few cold ones?

Can you shed light on the path from Klipsch Pro to WWR and back again?

I had a pair of KG2's once, very well mannered speaker and astounding sound for the size!

I truly believe that I 'arrived' at Klipsch a couple decades too late, I think I would have really fit in with PWK's Klipsch!

Michael

Thanks for the history and insights, Ian. There are many of us here who are very interested in Klipsch history and appreciate your inputs. Please give us more, as requested by Michael, who is quite an afficionado of the Pro Line.

Did you know Ed Wolfrum (local guy from Detroit)? He designed the Xover network for the KG-2. He worked with PWK on that and yes I remember PWK saying the "G squared" stood for Gary Gillum. I met GG him briefly during a plant tour in 1985 and we never got to talk. I did spend a full day with Paul that day, and drank some fine Scotch with him, while he played his Little Rock Symphony recordings for my (then) wife and I.I was just a kid of 31then.

I still believe that the reason PWK's stock Khorns sounded so good was because of the false corners he made and had the away from the walls and early reflections, not to mention the quality of his spaced omni recording technique which was similar to what Telarc was doing with theirs at the time.

All roads lead to Deeeeeeeeeeeeee?

I know the name Ed Wolfrum well, from another forum I am a regular on, www.soulfuldetroit.com.

Both Ed and Mike McLean worked as engineers for Motown and were responsible for quite a few inovations in recording technology at the time.

Ed invented the D.I. box I believe.

Very cool to once again link a few of my passions together and will have to try and contact him, to learn more about his Klipsch Konnection.

I know the name Ed Wolfrum well, from another forum I am a regular on, www.soulfuldetroit.com.

Both Ed and Mike McLean worked as engineers for Motown and were responsible for quite a few inovations in recording technology at the time.

Ed invented the D.I. box I believe.

What is a D. I. box?

From the time I had a paper route near the Hi Fi Workshop on 7 mile road, I drooled over the giant Khorns. Took me 9 years to get there (1977), but right before I bought mine, I was introduced to Ed in about 1976, right around the same time I had met Bob Moers, and saw prototype photos of the MCM "Motengator" which was being tested at Elton John's caribou ranch. Ed had brought in some of his classical recordings (chamber music and percussion stuff) that he had done using the DBX compander system. It gave about a 90 db signal to noise ratio on a Crown reel to reel. THAT was a phenomenal experience in quality sound for me and I coudn't wait for the CD to come out, which was part of AES discussions on standards about that time. I had also joined the local chapter of the AES and heard the DBX Delta modulation system about 5 years later, which had 110 db of signal to noise. Hear that on Urei time aligned monitors and it was some really impressive drum stuff.

The 70's and 80's were boom time for audio (no pun intended).