Tips on painting metal exterior entry doors?

Joe Shmoe

Thanks guys! I looked into this this past weekend, and I actually called a few different body shops in the area. The first politely declined, and the second talked to me like I was nuts for asking. SO I then went and talked to a guy at Home Depot and like what was said here also, I will just paint it myself. From what I have been told, if I get a high quality paint, good brush, and wait until the weather warms up a little more, I should be ok.

fini.... I should be ok with the fit of the door, the house is only a couple years old. I hear ya on the carpenter thing also... something to keep in mind next time!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just hire a pro,I've painted several thousand ext doors,a good satin acrylic latex(2coats brushed) applied by pro will look better than any of your neighbors.Auto paint?Do you never want to change the color the rest of your life?I would also think chipping would be a future issue.All the steel doors I've put up suggest acrylic latex,check the lable.Good luck at any rate.

Man....the horror stories I could tell about painting metal doors and fighting brush strokes. [:$]

It's slightly off-topic, but some years back I had a home built that used a Therma-Tru door for the front door. They are fiberglass doors that can be had with either a smooth or wood-like embossed finishes. They take paint & stain like wood and are wonderful to work on. They won't dent like a metal door because they flex, but if you hit it hard enough (it would have to be a good WHACK) they will crack. They're more energy efficient and lighter than a metal door and won't warp like a wood door will.

Anyhow....I know you've already ordered your door, but hopefully someone reading this thread will look at them as an option. I've already decided that when we replace our front door it will be with a Therma-Tru.

Tom

I'd shoot the door, if it were mine. You can't beat a sprayed finish. There's bound to be automobile paint suppliers in your town.

Fiberglass doors are great. I just replaced three rusted out steel doors. with foam core, plastic wood framed, fiberglass doors. No wood to rot or warp. No termites. No rust. Best exterior entry doors for my location.

Man....the horror stories I could tell about painting metal doors and fighting brush strokes. Embarrassed

Tom

lol...Tom, I've already made up my mind.... don't start to sway me in the other direction again [*-)] I did see the fiberglass doors but didn't really do any research, maybe next time?

Fish... I'm pretty confident in my ability to paint the door, I was just trying to avoid any hassles that might arise. Being a perfectionist by fault, I tend to let the littlest of errors drive me crazy! Thanks again for the comments though!

If you think you can paint it,you can,here's a few tips if you're brushing/rolling.First is make sure the paint is not that one coat stuff that's too thick to make a nice job.When the paints right it will stir/spread very easy.A cool day is better than a hot day,I paint my doors early when it's hot.Be prepared to paint rather quickly so the door is wet as you paint.

Use a good brush,Purdy is nice,maybe 3".If it's a six panel etc...try to make brush strokes the way real wood is assembled,across top,mid,bottom,down sides(I always try to make sure the left and right sides,appx 5" wide go from top to bottom as one stroke).If it's a smooth door use a 1/4" candy stripe roller(always roll first few rollers full on cardboard etc.. to defuzz.Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

It's slightly off-topic, but some years back I had a home built that used a Therma-Tru door for the front door. They are fiberglass doors that can be had with either a smooth or wood-like embossed finishes. They take paint & stain like wood and are wonderful to work on. They won't dent like a metal door because they flex, but if you hit it hard enough (it would have to be a good WHACK) they will crack. They're more energy efficient and lighter than a metal door and won't warp like a wood door will.

Also, slightly off topic....

Good to hear this, as I've just recently special ordered a Therma-Tru vinyl door for the front of my house (the rear basement door will just be a decent, yet inexpensive metal door to replace the piece of junk that is currently there). This is part of the project I already have going on in completely redoing the entire exterier of my house (all new windows, new doors, shutters, replacing the rear sliding glass door with French doors, rebuilding the deck with a larger one using composit materials). Reminds me - need to go out and take some pictures of the house as it currently looks as "before" shots right after I post this.

The only downside in my case is that I wanted to get a door that will match the color of the trim I am using (snow white exterial with pacific blue trim), thus I had to special order it to get exactly the colors I wanted. Eight-Friggan-Hundred dollars!!!! [:o] Well, figured I already got over $23,000 into this little project, so what is nother $800? [:|]. Not only that, but I just did not want to hassle with painting the door anyway. Have not begun any work yet, though, as still awaiting delivery of materials (including this afformentioned door) as well as the permits to get through the county's approval process, as well as the weather to finally improve (the rain last couple of weeks was the major suckage, but looks like, after a bit of rain on Monday, things will finally get nice around here for real - not this one or two nice days and the rest is crap [bs] we've been getting around here as of late). Hopefully the work will begin in earnest within the next couple of weeks.

Cue the Alice Cooper "Welcome to my nightmare"......

Man, I'm so disgusted lol. This did not turn out as I had hoped. Like I was saying before, I was pretty confident in my ability... blah blah blah. It seems painting doors with latex acrylic is not my forte. Yes, I am now swallowing my pride lol.

I painted the door, sanded out the rough areas, and painted again only to still have quite a few brush strokes visable. It's mainly just where the stiles & rails overlap that I had the most issues.

I used a Purdy 3" brush rather than a roller. I tried one of those small 4" super smooth foam rollers, but it still seemed to leave a unsmooth finish, so I decided to stick with the brush.

I called around some more to get some estimates on having it professionally sprayed [:^)] I will keep you informed on the outcome. I think now I will grab my sander, as it seems I have some sanding do do! [:@]

Joe,don't kill yourself sanding.You can use paint/varnish remover(just brush on) then just gently scrape off the paint.I do this when someone tried to finish a door but didn't have the experience needed(that's what it comes down to).It takes about 20 minutes to have a door back to like new.Sorry it didn't work out for ya,good luck.

Another advantage to oil-based paints (and primers) is that you can sand between coats. That's in addition to the better lay-down (reducing visible brush strokes) quality. Yes, it does take a little longer to dry, but will dry harder and smoother. If you're still stuck on water-based, you can (as I mentioned) add a product (similar to Penetrol, which is great for oil-based paints, Google it), I can't remember the name. to essentially make the paint dry slower and spread more evenly. Really, there's no need to go through the spray routine, unless you want zero brush strokes. No matter what products or techniques you use, patience will be your friend. Fish is right-on re: the stripper. Hmm, maybe you should hire a painter and a stripper...GIT 'ER DONE!! [;)]

stripper_sales_marketing.jpg101287_front200.jpg

[Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y] [Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y]