Has Anyone used Altec 288-16H before

kg4guy

511Bs are for 1" throats. The same horn with the proper throat for the 288 is the 511E. They are rare and hard to find though.

803Bs
will be very large horns. 300hz cutoff with an 80x40 dispersion
pattern. I used my 288s on 805Bs. Same dispersion but smaller with a
500hz cutoff. They are fun horns, they have a big sound to them.

Shawn

The 288-16H was the last of the Alnico drivers and, like the G, fetches big bucks. Wonderful drivers!

Shawn is right, the 805's would work great. If you're interested, I have some 311-60's that would work as well. Roughly the same size as the 805's. Possibly somewhat smaller.

I would consider the Altec MRII 594, or the EV HR90. These are of reasonable size, and have good HF performance, you may not need a tweeter. The Altec may be crossed at 500hz, the EV at 800hz. They are both compact enough (under 24" wide) to fit inside the cabinet.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-36.JPG

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR90%20EDS.pdf

Hi,

I use the 288 16k and built my own tractrix horn...WOW! You may need to 'fiddle' with cross points or play with the 'time relationship' of drivers to seating position. To beat the odds I set up 2 amps and pres, one to drive the bottom end and the other to drive the 288 and Bob Crites tweet (replaced the K77).

I found that the 288 had more 'overhang' with the bottom end than it did with the Crites tweet. If you get really good you could just use the 288 and the woofer. The 288 will go from 400 (500 more easily) to 17.5k with the right horn and cross.

Good luck

Maybe Parts Express has 1.4" horns? I think you should make em work. Probably a far superior driver to the K55. I've been comparing a pair of JBL 2441s (2" driver w 4" voice coils) I have to K55s and and a pair of Atlas siren horns. Siren and K55 near equal in sound quality. The 2441s put the singers in the room with you. I suggest going with the bigger drivers when you can.

I would consider the Altec MRII 594, or the EV HR90. These are of reasonable size, and have good HF performance, you may not need a tweeter. The Altec may be crossed at 500hz, the EV at 800hz. They are both compact enough (under 24" wide) to fit inside the cabinet.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-36.JPG

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR90%20EDS.pdf

These were the horns that were typically used with the 288.

It is a nice driver to use in the right horn/throat combination.

Wow so the K-55's with Atlas horn are near as good as the JBL 2441's .I have noticed it hard to find a driver that has the db below 500Hz like the K-55's.

No, I said the two Atlas drivers were similar sounding. The 2441 is in another league and "puts the singer in the room with you"..

Those 1.4" horns do show up on Ebay sometimes too. I noticed a 1.4" to 2" adapter on their the other day so that would be another way to skin the cat.

I am going to cut my 511Bs down to 1.4" and wield a new mounting plate with a 1.4" hole.I contacted Altec and they had said to not use a adapter that would go fom 1.4" to 1" as it may damage the driver .Also wondering about the crossover adjustments that I will need for this driver. I am running 2 k-33's with the 511B's with K-55's and a Eminence ATP 50 tweeter with a type A crossover with a 1.3mh inductor and 500Hz rather than 400Hz crossover point because of the 511B horn per speaker.(Cornscala dbbs)

I am going to cut my 511Bs down to 1.4" and wield a new mounting plate with a 1.4" hole.I contacted Altec and they had said to not use a adapter that would go fom 1.4" to 1" as it may damage the driver .Also wondering about the crossover adjustments that I will need for this driver. I am running 2 k-33's with the 511B's with K-55's and a Eminence ATP 50 tweeter with a type A crossover with a 1.3mh inductor and 500Hz rather than 400Hz crossover point because of the 511B horn per speaker.(Cornscala dbbs)

If you cut the horn down, you're changing the properties of the horn.