OT: What airport is this?

Daddy Dee

Most of the small Islands in the Caribbean have airport landing strips just like this one or worse no fence at all. When I landed in St.Lucia I thought we were going in the water. After we landed we literally walked out of the airport across small parking lot and onto the beach. Bought some beach feed immediately. Gotta love the islands mon.

I stood right there as a 747 sized jet landed! It was awesome scary. I ducked! There's a nice little place to eat just off to the side of that beach and we sat out on the deck and watched the jets come in. Pretty cool. My wife wasn't nearly as impressed.

Greg

Here is THE runway at the Macau International Airport. The one in Nagoya, Japan is the same way, built on fill out in the water. I came though Nagoya on my way to visit my GF, and got in at night. It was really clear out, and I could see the moon shining on the wing. All of a sudden out to the left I saw lights, almost straight out from me, and the same altitude. They were from a ship in the bay. Then, we were over the runway and I could see the shadow of the wing on the ground and we touched down.

post-7149-13819454920628_thumb.jpg

I landed here, Union Island in the Grenedeans, in a 20 seat death trap and it looks like you are landing into the side of the hill/mountain.

UnionIsland3.jpg

As an added bonus there is a crashed plane just off the end of the runway with the tail sticking up out of the water. Had to be the local's idea of a bad joke to put that there.

I landed here, Union Island in the Grenedeans, in a 20 seat death trap and it looks like you are landing into the side of the hill/mountain.

UnionIsland3.jpg

As an added bonus there is a crashed plane just off the end of the runway with the tail sticking up out of the water. Had to be the local's idea of a bad joke to put that there.

I couldn't find any big planes flying to these little Islands. It is always fly to Puerto Rico and then fly to your island of choice in a breadbasket with propellers and wings.

At St Maarten, there is a rather large rock (a mountain) right off the other end of the runway. The runway itself is also very short. Coming in over the water is about the only way to land there unless one is in a very small plane. Only then can the runway can be used from the other direction. It's a hoot to fly into but you really need to get it right the first time.

Great beaches on St Maarten! Pass me a Carib please!