Buying Klipsch Speakers in Boston

Poseidon

Hi, I'm looking to buy a pair of RF-3's, a RC-3 and a pair of RS-3's in the Boston area. I was considering buying them online, but the shipping costs could be considerable. The only place I can find to buy these speakers in the Boston area is Tweeters, which charges almost the full MSRP for them. Is there any retail store in the area where I can buy the reference set for at or near the prices available on the net? Thanks!

have u tried the dealer locator to the left?

i would think boston's gotta have others besides tweet, who i've heard won't bargain hardly at all. maybe they have an exclusive there though. beware - the internet dealers are not authorized under klipsch policy, so u have no warranty unless they're authorized to sell over the net in their specific areas. mail order was a possibility, but hear some of those are being esstoped from selling outside their ares.

this is a big ongoing issue on this bb - long threads on it under home theter & general.

good luck.

Well it is a little bit of a drive for you, 2 hours, but you can go to New England Hi-Fi in Scarborough, Maine. They are a full line Klipsch dealer, and it is also where I have bought all my audio components in the past.

They are located right off of exit 6 of the Maine Turnpike (rte. 95) and is very easy to get to.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Nah, Tweeter is the only show in town for Klipsch unfortunately, and they either do not discount at all, or very little. No negotiating either. They use their "price protection" as an excuse, which don't mean anything when you are the exclusive regional distributor!

I like Tweeter alright for electronics, but let's face it, it's a big, faceless chain with a lot of really bad sales personnel who pretend to know more than they do. Of course you may luck out and get a good salesman, but he won't be able to do much for you. It's like going to Chilis or some other dreadful national chain restaurant. You're stuck with what corporate headquarters provides, no matter how good the waiter.

Too bad. When it was founded in Cambridge, MA in the 1970s (?) it was a nice, small, high-end store. Then it started gobbling up stereo stores, regionally first, then nationally, went public and . . . well the rest is history.

There is a place in Worcester that you might check out, but I know nothing about em.

used to be really cool place in Cambridge with lots of used high end stuff, down the street from MIT, Coumos in Salem used to have a stereo section but I do know if the store is even there any more, so I would watch the classifieds for someone who does not want big old horns ...

Colin,

that realy cool place was called Tech Hifi located at MIT and Harvard Sq. in a place that is now a yuppified teen mall. I worked there part time 77-79 while going to school there. Commission only. Tweeter was on the other side of the Sq. on Mt. Auburn St. Tech sold all high end stuff for the time. Big McIntosh and JBL Pro dealer. Place was always busy, always made money, badly managed.

Tech HiFi and "high end" always seemed like an oxymoron to me.

My Tech HiFi was at the end of Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield. Around '75 through '79 I bought a lot of stuff there... Ohm D2 and C2 speakers, followed by Infinity Quantum 3 (big towers with about a 79dB sensitivity rating, in retrospect...), various Nikko receivers and amps... wound up working at a ComputerLand a few years later with an ex-Tech HiFi salesman, who told me about all the products the sales guys got to take home and keep just by filling out an eval slip, how much product went out the back door, how the spiffs were paid off (involved female members of a hairless primate species...)

What a stroll down memory lane...

Tech Hi Fi huh! This really brings back memories. I used to visit that store at MIT while attending Northeastern U. I ended up buying my H/K receiver at Tweeter. That was the same time period, '78, when I fell in love with the Khorns and it's ease in handling the 1812 overture with a little 25 watt yamaha receiver.

By the way, what is the Khorn2 i see pictured at the site yet no info is provided on it?