Subwoofer not coming out of standby mode

palmerj

Hi,

I have a KSW-10 that does not come out of standby mode when the receiver is powered on, The on/off indicator light that's in front of the unit remains red (instead of turning green as it should). I can hear some faint bass sounds coming off it, which would indicate that it's getting a signal. At this time, if I flip the power switch from "auto" to "on" the light turns green and the subwoofer starts working. I can then switch back to "auto" and it will continue to work until I turn off the receiver.

Besides the on/auto/off switch, there are other controls in the back of the unit; level, lowpass and phase. Level and lowpass are dials, while phase is a switch with two settings labeled 0 and 180.

Other than leaving it on continously or manually powering it on/off, does anyone have any suggestions with regards to changing settings on the subwoofer and/or receiver that might correct this situation?

Thanking everyone in advance...

John.

for the standby problem check to see if the reciever and sub are plugged into the same bank on the surge protector. Some surge protectors filter out the signals involed in sensing the reciever has turned on.

for the standby problem check to see if the reciever and sub are plugged into the same bank on the surge protector. Some surge protectors filter out the signals involed in sensing the reciever has turned on.

Really? I've had this same problem ever since I switched from the RSW12 to the RSW15. However, I have the receiver plugged into a surge protector and the sub directly into a wall outlet so this shouldn't be the case, right? Instead, I just set my crossover on the reciever and leave the sub in the "on" position instead of the "auto" position which might be a better option for HT use anyway.

The 0 and 180 switch is for polarity and all I can say is try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference. My guess is you won't but you never know.

The level knob sets your crossover if you use the auto setting. Try turning it all the way to 120 and see if that solves your problem.

Also, as far as settings on the sub itself:

-Turn the crossover knob on the sub itself as high as it will go (usually around 150Hz). Use your receiver to set the sub's crossover setting.

-Set the Level control to approximately the 10 o'clock position.

-Sit where you normally listen to your system and play some music with a good bass beat. Have someone switch the phase between 0 and 180. Use whichever one sounds the best to you. If both positions sound basically the same leave it to 0.

For what it's worth, the standby current in the "ON" mode and the "Standby" mode are going to be nearly identical...

One thing you might try is turning down the volume on the subwoofer and then turning up the volume in the receiver....this will send a hotter signal from the receiver to the subwoofer. You can also turn down the levels of the main speakers too.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I made the suggested changes in the settings and the problem remains. Here are additional details:

1. The subwoofer is plugged into a different wall outlet from the receiver.

2. Keeping the power on (green light in front) always, makes no difference. Next morning when I turn on the receiver all I hear is a very low bass rumble.

3. To get it working, I need to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in.

4. I am using the Y adapter, plugged into my receiver's subwoofer connection.

5 The receiver is a Sony STR-DA5400ES

Thanks.

2. Keeping the power on (green light in front) always, makes no difference. Next morning when I turn on the receiver all I hear is a very low bass rumble.

3. To get it working, I need to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in.

That makes me think there might be something wrong with the subwoofer... [:(]

Have you tried calling Klipsch customer service?

My knowledge of subs is of a very simple.. therefore I offer a simple suggestion.. have you tried changing the rca lead?? Could it be a faulty lead?

Tho if DrWho says that there might be a problem with the sub then I would go with that.

Ok going back to sleep now.

• 9 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello sir, it was a great knowledge about subwoofer. I liked this post very much. It feels a great pleasure when we play music on subwoofer. And the vibration of the bass is more 

Edited by dwilawyer
removed hidden link to some "sumo" website

• 10 months later...

I've got a similar problem. I have a KSW-10 purchased 16 years ago.  With the sub in auto (also happens if the sub is in "on" position, the sub will appear to turn on (green light on front of sub changes from red to green) when reasonable strong bass level is emitted from the Yamaha TSR 5790 av receiver. However the sub emits no sound. The volume setting on both the sub and the receiver appear to have no effect on whether this occurs or not.  However if I leave the receiver turned on playing music (this happens regardless of whether I am playing music or video with audio content), leave the sub in auto but then unplug the power cord from the wall and then plug it back in, the sub then emits nice strong base. I am using one of the sub outs on the receiver, but have the same problem with either one. I have the other end of the sub cable plugged into the L/LFE and R inputs on the sub, but have tried just the L/LFE with the same results. This also happens with an older model Yamaha receiver. t's a real pain in my butt to unplug and replug the receiver one the system is turned on every time I want to use the sub. Very occasionally (probably less than 5% of the time), the system will work as expected without my intervention. Any ideas? I

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,Needless to say I have the same problem with my Polk 660 sub. My question is, Can I connect my sub in such a way that I it bypass that auto function. It seem to to me that all those auto signal detection functions is no good?

TX

Basie