LSI photos

colterphoto1

My motto is that any acquisition that doesn't make the rest of the system seem inadequate wasn't really an upgrade. These speakers, though, have really proved that true. I am not only looking to replace my old JVC surround-sound receiver, but there is now talk of buying another stereo system for upstairs. That one won't have Klipsch, I don't think, but is going to get the old speakers that used to seem fine until these surfaced.

As for where I got them, I got extremely lucky. A church about thirty miles away had them in the basement not being used any more and listed them on the Internet. I wasn't the first to respond, but the other guy apparently never showed up. I had given them up for gone when I got another e-mail asking if I was still interested. I said yes, yanked the seats out of the minivan, and headed out to fetch them. I got there and learned that the church had some newer stuff their musical director liked better--and to be fair to them, their newer stuff may have BEEN better, I didn't see it. Not clear whether these were once upon a time the part of the main PA and got stored or if these speakers got donated by some audiophile and never put to work. All I've done so far is clean them off with a little Murphy's Oil Soap. I am coming to realize that the scratches and dings are mostly on the sides which won't be that visible if I put them in the corner. The fronts look ok. I will probably run them for a little while without doing any rehab first. We'll see how they do. For now, I am tasked with moving stuff in the family room to get some space for them to fit. Currently they are blocking all access to the front of the tv.

The madness seems pretty good for now.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Guys, thanks for keeping the thread alive and for all the stunning photos.

DB, you're getting as bad as me. Careful, the last guy I said that about was Noah, and you see how he turned out!

Happy Holidays gang. I'm playing Neil Young DVD through my home LSBR right now.

M

No this is it...really! Ok there is another set of KP 201's coming...and I was waiting to hear back about one more set of 3002's...but after that...um...right, what was I saying?

Funny/sad thing is that I have already overspent, starting to have more than I have a realistic use/space for and all the non-Klipsch stuff is failing in a ongoing sries of unforntunate events(old QSC 1500A, throwing out a DC spike?) and I actually almost went off the deep end and got a big Soundcraft board, even though I barely know how to use my little 8ch that I have.

Already accepting bids on the re-veneering job that I can't afford to get done, toobad Volti Audio isn't a little closer, or I'd try and swing a discount!

Then again, I'd probably have to try and rework his potential logos some more to qualify.

Which one of us is going to be featured on that trashy "Interventions" show first?LOL

Molaw has just hit the road to wind his way back home, after a 4 hour drive to deliver MY Split LSI's.

These will need a bit of love and money to be 100%, but I am so happy to finally have a set.

We had a nice lunch and chat and even though this was a quick entry and exit into the world of Klipsch for him, I hope I represented the Klipsch family well enough, that it won't be the last time he has a little Klipsch in his life.

Thank you's as always, go to the vets here, especially Colter, who continue to guide my journey.

I'll probably be asking even more questions with these, as there are issues I'll need to learn more about, to bring these up to or beyond spec again.

I have indeed, temporarily left the world of Klipsch. But, my appetite is whetted, and I expect I will be back someday when circumstances and budget permit. Dollar Bill was a gracious host representing the entire nation of Canada AND the family of Klipsch very well indeed.

Thank you again, for delaying my Christmas by a day, ending the year on the right note(s) and giving me something to look forward to doing in 2010.

I hope you stick around here, as these forums are filled with "Top Notch" folk, like yourself and hopefully you will be able to see pictures of the transformation.

Please stay in touch, as I feel that even a short term owner, is still a important part of the lineage and I want you to be proud of the LSI's as they mature.LOL

As much as I intend to make all my Klipsch "For Life", I would open up the dog houses and live in these, if it was a choice between a roof over my head and unloading these.

Others may come along, but these are my first Splits and when your life is so sad you develop love for inanimate objects, that you can't sleep with(without getting splinters), you tend to value the things in life that give you pure, uncut JOY!

Anyone ever use a motorboard as a headstone, with the horns still there to deliver a eternal message from beyond? Just asking!LOL

Definitely like to see the pictures of the transformation. I'm glad that the LSI's that I had for a while have a happy, permanent home. I know you'll make a better restoration of them than I would have managed. Good luck, and post some pics in the new year for all of us to see.

those original LaScalas, with the horizontal doghouse were probably a bit tighter on the bass. The floppy side panels (not so on the LS II) of the most popular varriant, were on the floor and braced by the treble section respectively, even though they do look a little strange like this. I think they probably sounded a little better and might benefit from the lastest LS II crossover.

Molaw has just hit the road to wind his way back home, after a 4 hour drive to deliver MY Split LSI's.

These will need a bit of love and money to be 100%, but I am so happy to finally have a set.

We had a nice lunch and chat and even though this was a quick entry and exit into the world of Klipsch for him, I hope I represented the Klipsch family well enough, that it won't be the last time he has a little Klipsch in his life.

Thank you's as always, go to the vets here, especially Colter, who continue to guide my journey.

I'll probably be asking even more questions with these, as there are issues I'll need to learn more about, to bring these up to or beyond spec again.

just one sick puppy helping another mang!

hmmm (transformation? )

...Have you seen the Blondes? (apologies to Robert Plant)

M

• 3 weeks later...

Great photos!

I just stumbled upon what I now know are a pair of LSIs from the 70's at a local rummage sale for $200.

There's more about my find on this thread:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/130035.aspx

I'm inspired seeing all these great LSI set ups.

Four quick questions...

what's the best way into the top section - through the terminal panel or removing the screws on the front?

does Klipsch sell the cool aluminum trim for LSIs or am I on my own?

does Klispch sell their logo decals or should I mask these off before I respray them black?

They are serial numbers 1420 and 1536, any idea when they were produced or should I look for a date inside the cabinet?

klipschserialno.jpg

Thanks!

...and by golly gosh these puppies sound freakin good!