LSI photos

colterphoto1

great find at a ridiculous price- good job mang.

To get into the Top bin, you'll need to disconnect the wiring from the drivers or network first. The network is located on the slanted side of the cabinet, alongside the jack cup. So carefully remove the jack cup and you should be able to reach in and disconnect the wires leading to the HF and MF horn drivers. While inside that opening, you'll want to remove the bolt holding the mid horn throat support. I leave the bracket attached to the cabinet and remove the bolt attaching the bracket to the horn. Got it?

Next, remove the 10(?) phillips screws that secure the front panel (baffle board) to the cabinet frame. Just remove the screws around the perimeter of the frame, not the ones holding the horns in place. What I normally do then is place the cabinet face (front) side down on a nice soft blankie, the cabinet will then lift off, leaving the horns attached to the baffle board. From there you can remove the network if you wish to work on it or remove drivers to install new diaphragms if they need it.

In many cases, the pro gear came with 20 amp fuses installed, which offers no protection at all. The proper fuse values for LSI would be 1 1/2 HF and 3 LF as indicated on your jack panel.

As far as the aluminum trim, even if you could get the long pieces, those tricky corners were custom cast for Klipsch. Once the cabinet edges are rounded over with router like on yours, it would be impossible to mount the 1" aluminum properly anyway. Paint em up and enjoy em!

Michael

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logo decals are not available from Klipsch, but they have some Pro logo placards 2" x 6" available. Your's are probably painted on so be careful masking over them for painting that you don't pull the existing paint off. For some time I've been wanting to take that logo to a sign shop and have some vinyl letters cut out. You could probably take a high res photo of those letters and have the same done for yours, or create your own stencil and paint em back on after painting.

See other threads here on the Forum (under modifications) for help on how to do bodywork prior to painting. Most of us just use plain auto body Bondo filler. It's hard, cures fast, sticks great. Just don't overapply or you'll have a dickens of a time sanding away any excess. See the posts of Groomlakearea51 or Greg928S for best details on filling and finishing.

For pro stuff, I use Rustoleum satin black and it dries hard in 30 days and does a good job of coverage.

• 2 months later...

Star light, star bright...

Wish me luck fellow Klipschkateers!

Pt. 2

This time split with trim and at a almost too good to be true price, in fact I'll let you know when it is true.

Photos to follow and hopefully I'll have a group pic soon for the House Of Klipsch North Jr. collection.

Working on a new location and if all falls into place, little less space, but still be able to have everything setup and even laid out a little better.

When I don't grow up, I wanna be like Mike!

[:D][:D][:D][Y]

Picked them up in Oshawa( 2 hour drive) last night.

$600 for the pair( 4 pieces), plus a dead Cerwin Vega A 600( anyone know specs or info on this?).

All used to belong to a band that had a few members move on to play for Avril Lavigne(whoopie!).

Not minty,rode hard, pebble spray worn smooth in spots on the bass cabs, two different eras of jack cups and no matching number series, the aluminum has seen a hard life and one K 77 has been replaced with something else and they just drilled new holes in the motor board for it(argh!).

That said, not a horrible match, but that will be a part to replace.

Pity that the destroyed set of Heresy speakers( proper plural!), that I picked up for spare parts had both k 77's fried on them as well.

However, I am very happy overall and though I haven't popped them apart to give them the whole check up, have the proper fuses instead of tinfoil in them now and they are sounding all good.

The kid that sold them to me, only had them for a few weeks in the garage, said they sounded ok, but already has a Radio ShackRealistic set up for his surround sound, that he is happy with and I wasn't going to question and just loaded them up.

He had done some research, but they were not for him and he was great to deal with, so not saying(out loud) that he didn't know what he was getting rid of.

Now to figure out if they are best used to replace the KP 201's as the centers, or the TOA stacks that are the rears at the moment.

If they replace the centers, I think I may try moving the KP 201's to the side, copying a movie theatre layout with multiple side channels, 2 KP 201's on each side, spaced out.

And hopefully with this set, they will be pressed back into their intended duty as well, which means I'm not going to put too much effort or cash into restoring them.

Hadn't seen too many split w/trim LSI's pop up here before and now on Kijiji.ca there is another set, in better overall condition, but for $1700! So I am happy.

Yes, photos to follow.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow.............has it been TWO YEARS since Michael wowed us with those Wonderful Pictures ?

right, but someone pulled up the thread and said I have a pair of these for sale. guess that was easier than taking and posting pictures.

That's right, I am a recovering Land Cruiser former addict in Gainesville, Florida. I belong to numerous other forums as well and can send my online resume if needed[:)]

This thread was informative to me and seemed right on target to mention that I would like to trade some of these great speakers for some more easily portable KP products. I enjoyed reading the thread, it had captured a number of informed and interested parties, it is a little stale and did not seem to be a hijack....forgive me if I have broken some unspoken rule. I will be happy to start a new thread if it pleases your sense of propriety.

Much like others here, these cabinets sat in a church or roller rink or somewhere for most of their life. They are consecutive serial numbers, aluminum protection, aluminum castings for the inputs, etc. I can send photos to anyone interested, my email is above.