RT-12D: Keep blowing up the left passive woofer

pythagore

I bought this sub brand new from the US, in November 2006. I'm only using it for movies. Last december the left passive woofer blowed up.

Since I bought the sub from the US, and I'm in Canada, Klipsch part's department told me the warranty was void, so I paid $120CAD for a brand new woofer from Klipsch.

Now, after 5 (weekends) movies, last night while playing Transporter 3, I heard the same horrible noise again. That was the noise I heard prior to the last woofer blowed up.

It can not be because I'm running the sub too hot. My preamp is an Arcam AVP9. This preamp supports up to 3 subs. But I'm only using the RT12d, and the sub level output is set at -4dB in my preamp. The level on the sub itseltf is set to -8.

One thing I noticed is that the sub always shaking hard during some low freqeuncy passages in the movie.

The word blowing may cause some confusion..

What is happening is that the middle (the copper) section of the woofer keeps detaching from the base.. Which caused the woofer to move freely and generating that loud vibrating (farting) noise.

It seems as if whatever glue used to glue the woofer to the base, simply dried out over time. I have confirmed that fact with the first woofer.

The only thing I can think of, is that the Sub is in my basement, and the temperature in there is about 16C ( 60.8F), the humidity level is a bit high, it is possible that's what is causing the glue to dry. But, why is it that only the left passive woofer kept having this problem.

if its just a glue issue i would think that a repair shop would be able to fix it alot cheap, i dont know what goes into reconeing if that would be the issue. But the speaker guys i talk to make it sound like they can recone a woofer cheaper and better than the manufactor. I was all ways wondering how the rt-12d held up. hope it doesnt go for all of them.

I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and it's gotten plenty of workout. I've not had any issues with this at all. Is there something else that is near the left passive that could be causing your problem? Chemicals, fumes, etc.?

The sub is in a dedicated home theater room. The Audio equipment are in the back of the room. My front projector is in the ceiling.Here is a picture of the room layout.

post-10735-13819455348396_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm...I wonder if there's enough moisture to cause the glue to loosen up? That would seem odd if that were the case.

Could you post a picture of how the diaphragm is coming apart? And when you say left, are you talking about looking at the sub from the listening position? (the side closest to the LR mains).

Hmmmm...I wonder if there's enough moisture to cause the glue to loosen up? That would seem odd if that were the case.

Could you post a picture of how the diaphragm is coming apart? And when you say left, are you talking about looking at the sub from the listening position? (the side closest to the LR mains).

It's difficult to see the problem in picture. Looking at the woofer you will never notice anything wrong, but holding the woofer upside down and shake it, I can see the copper section of the wooofer that is supposed to be glued to the base, simply move up and down causing that loud flapping noise.

By left woofer, I meant facing the sub (the closest the LR main.)

Moisture would have little todo with an issue like this.

As the glue bonds the alloy basket with a cone made of another "alloy",we do not have two materials that are known to soak up water(humidity).

The glue used to bond sub bass drivers has to resist temperature changes,humidity changes and maintain the bond.They do not use School Glue here. ;)

I believe you have a lemon PR. As all my Klipsch subs from RSW's to RT's have had ZERO issues with detached sourrounds or any moving parts. And I have put them thru heavy heavy workouts. Over the years.

• 2 weeks later...