music server and a good DAC for my computer

jazzbeq

Good Day,

Another request, with laScala and EL84 tube, i am building my music server from a laptop.

My request, Witch kind of DAC should i use?

Some recommanded the 198? something in toslink?

Other some USB cheapo on internet?

Does someone could share is experience on DAC?

Thanks for your help

best regards, JzbQ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey JzbQ, I didn't like the USB DAC I tried, it and most that I've researched seem to suffer from the same flat sound much like MP3. I think optical would be preferable and it allows you more options when shopping for a DAC. Not sure the budget that you have in mind, but my choice now for your application, assuming you need the DAC for only one source would be the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It is $300, very small, has inputs for coax, optical and USB, is 24bit, 192k upsampling and like most Musical Fidelity products, it outperforms its price tag. I use the Apple Airport Express ($99) which can be used with Windows as well and can work off your existing wireless network and its optical output can be used with any DAC. The DAC in your setup is the very heart of the system, and should be of very good quality to match your LaScalas and tube amp, please don't buy a cheap USB convertor. Yes, it will play music, but I doubt you'd listen for very long.

AppleTV=Music Server+DAC

This is true, but it cannot be controlled via his laptop and requires a monitor or screen. And it, like the Airport Express, which can also output an analog signal do not sound as good as the DAC mentioned. I think most systems would be fine, but looking at his equipment I think he needs a DAC more on par with the rest of his components, I'd also suggest a nice glass optical cable (found on eBay for $20). Just my .02

OK, as one whose spent a LOT of time and money on PC sound cards for a lot of years, I'd suggest that a lot of money isn't the issue unless you need the reassurance that many get from a lightened wallet.

If you have a late model laptop with the Intel HD 915 series chipset in it you don't need anything else unless you can tell one capacitor from another and such. I have quite a few ducats in classic outboard sound cards and they don't sound any better. Digital audio is an algorithm, and if the circuit meets all the specs the sound will be as good as the algorithm can provide. You can pretty it up, but you can't improve it for practical purposes.

Dave

" but it cannot be controlled via his laptop and requires a monitor or screen"

When I'm on the road I connect my AppleTV to my car amp....I use my phone to operate it..at home I can operate it from any of my Mac laptops or desktops or iphone...very rarely do I actually operate it uisng a monitor.

not sure what windows folks do....

My music server (computer) is directed to a Sonos system for wireless use throughout the house. Each Sonos player is connected to a Tadac (a tubed dac that is fantastic). The Tadac goes to each stereo system (living room and bedroom). The Sonos system can be contolled from any computer or from my iTouch.

Have fun.

For now, i use my compac, alteclansing laptop AMD processor CQ60,

i went in the audio set-up to release the 80Hz cut in it.

I listen directly from the phone plug to amp and sound good. I had to tell my laptop, that i don't use headphone but an amp, so no signal limitation and analog RCA type signal from headphone plug? strange but working.

Since i read good comment here on fubar, i decided to order one.

I will see

duh, why i always forger MFidelity? shame on me :)

I will check locally to try the xcan, good idea.

Regards JzbQ

Since my main is TT, CD should be cheap solution.

So that why, i switch laptop.

But for now, the laptop, play as good as my rega Apollo player? very strange?

I don't know if it's the presario CQ60 Altec Lansing design for laptop or soundcard, but 500$CAD compaq laptop does a good Job.

Sound card: connexant, smart audio221

Guest David H

I'm ok with that for now. But since i order firestone fubar, will i be able to listen 24/96hz?

Good Choice, I love my Fubar, its as good or better than any of my CD or SACD decks including my Jolida tube cd....etc....

Better get some black tape to cover the blinding power led.

So do you guys actually use mp3 and AAC? both formats are horribly lossy - why not use FLAC which gives you some compression but is lossless. In fact, if you properly rip your cds to your PC ( I use exact audio copy) you eliminate the jitter issue that causes problems with even the best CD players. I built my own Media Center and output the sound digitally to my Yamaha receiver; I was considereing a high quality DAC as well - the Yammie does fine but it is a fairly old unit and I am sure the DAC inside it is outdated.

AK

Well for now, i am lousy, so apple lossless is ok with me!

i had order fubar to go with a laptop solution.

But if i use a solution base on desktop (my old one), someone suggest i buy a asus xonar sound card

like this one:

http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/product_info.php?products_id=31990

Cheap solution, great result? anyone had the chance to experience it?

Best regards

JzbQ

I think by now you've spent your money already. But anyway here's my 2 cents based on personal experimentation & a recent thread from the Metric Halo users group.

Without getting too deep technically, outboard DACs via toslink or USB do not clock to the incoming bitstream, this is not good & a dark little secret carried by everything from the cheapest to the truly esoteric boxes. This is not a prefered way to interface digital audio & will generally manifest itself as a harshness in the upper mids. Often the blame for the sonics of compressed audio files lies not in the files themselves but in just such an interface. Your best bet is to use FireWire, a format specifically designed to handle high quality audio (& video).

Now the good news. Although the very best FW interfaces (I have the Metric Halo) cost many $1,000s, for your use, something as basic as the Behringer FCA-202 (>$100) works & sounds great. Imagine, a cheapo little box outperforming DACs costing 10x as much? This is the very device I use to get audio from my Mac to my system. If your computer has no FW interface, a cheap PC card will do the trick. Just try to avoid a cable run longer than 15' and you'll be golden.

Without getting too deep technically, outboard DACs via toslink or USB do not clock to the incoming bitstream, this is not good & a dark little secret carried by everything from the cheapest to the truly esoteric boxes.  This is not a prefered way to interface digital audio & will generally manifest itself as a harshness in the upper mids.

Hey Philip, this is true and the reason many people love the Meridian 518. The Meridian is placed between the source and the DAC and it reclocks the signal and greatly reduces jitter providing the DAC a very clean signal. The 518 is from about 1996, but is perfect for use with the 16 bit output from iTunes and sells for about $500 on the used market, combined with a $500 or less DA makes for a great sounding server. Of course, if I had Firewire, I'd look into that Behringer for only $100. [:)]

The Meridian is placed between the source and the DAC and it reclocks the signal and greatly reduces jitter providing the DAC a very clean signal. ....Of course, if I had Firewire, I'd look into that Behringer for only $100. Smile

You miss my point, none of the formats except FireWire have the clock included in the bitstream. The Meridian addresses the sympton not the problem. A FireWire PC card should cost way less than $50 so with the Behringer you're still looking at >$150. Much less than even $500 for a far superior solution.