Power Strip with a 12vdc trigger on/off function?

jheis

I'm trying to find a power strip which can be turned on and off from with the 12 vdc trigger voltage output from my preamp to control an older SS (40 wpc) amp which does not have a 12 vdc on/off function.

Anyone know of a source? Thanks.

James

This is an ALTERNATE SOLUTION ( http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LCG3-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK ) that MAY fit the bill. The problem in SOME cases, is that the controlling device ( the preamp in your situation ) may NOT draw enough power on amperage for the strip to detect. They work fine for TVs and computers, but probably aren't sensitive enough for, lets say, a DVD or CD player ... a preamp??? NOT SURE. I DO have a similar configuration WORKING with my preamp/AMP using a 'similar' strip device that I 'liberated' from a office cubical teardown. Just a suggestion.

I'm trying to find a power strip which can be turned on and off from with the 12 vdc trigger voltage output from my preamp to control an older SS (40 wpc) amp which does not have a 12 vdc on/off function.

Anyone know of a source? Thanks.

James

James,

Does your Pre Amp have any 120 volt switched plug outlets?? Adcom ACE-515 can be had on ebay as low as $60, but usually bring $100. Has alot more plugs to handle amps, sub woofers, and outher acessories.

Roger

if you want the best (my opinion) power strip with a 12v trigger get this one.

it is actually Furman Sound's power strip. furman doesn't carry this one anymore, they just have the pst-8d now. basically it's the same thing except it has 8 outlets instead of 10. Panamax and Furman are sister companys and they actually share info. Furman is mostly Audio (conserts, big stuff like that) and panamax is more for HT and smaller retail like BB or Starpower, stuff like that.

i say Furman "gave" it to Panamax because i spoke to tech and asked why they don't carry it (their pn# was pst-10d) anymore and panamax has it now? i was simply told, panamax can benifit from it more than furman. it's more panamax's area.

i have the furman 20pfi, if you want something more than a power strip i would go with either the 15pfi or 20pfi. that powerstip i suggested has the same filteration as the 15/20pfi. the biggest difference is the pfi stuff will give your avr and amps all the juice they will ever need. they are great if you are running multiple amps and have a kick a** system. now they are 3-7X the cost of the powerstrip, just depends on what you have or will go to.

good luck.....

just read your sig...yeah you have a rock'n set up....i bet your break'n bottles out there in Wine country....lol. okay bad joke, but you get the point.....i'd say deffently get the furman 20pfi, but done, and never look back. i found it for $725 including shipping....yeah it costs money, but you "Have to pay to play!"

take care.....crank it up, i'll open my window and let you know if i can hear it......lol

Thanks Guys: The idea is to be able to power up the amp with a 12 vdc trigger by turning on the preamp with the remote.

Jim: That would work, but friends don't let friends buy Monster Cable products. [:|] (Especially at their inflated prices.)

Jerohm: At first blush, it looks like that strip might work, but after reading the reviews, you're probably right, the differential in current draw involved in switching the preamp from "sleep" to "on" should be relatively small and may not be enough to trigger the switch.

Roger: Yeah, in a previous setup I had this amp pluged into a switched outlet on the rear of a Carver CT17 preamp and used the Carver remote to turn the system on and off. Everything you read will tell you not to plug a high current device like an amp into a switched outlet on a preamp, but the little Optonica amp I'm using is only 40 wpc and it has a "soft" power-on circuit (the on/off switch triggers a relay which then fires up the amp after a slight delay). Worked fine in my garage system, but I sold the Carver and the B&K PT3 II I'm currently using has a 12 vdc trigger, but no switched outlets.

Inventor: Those all look like they'd do the trick, but WAY too pricey. I don't need power conditioning, just a simple switch. At the Furman & Panamax prices it would make more sense to just buy another amp with a 12 vdc trigger function built in. But I'm trying to use what I've got. Oh, and we try not to break any bottles around here - don't want to waste any of the precious content! [H]

James

Mike: Yeah, the Niles would work, but they're selling a box with about $3 worth of parts in it for $135. Guess I'm just cheap, but if I have to pay over a 100 bucks for a switch, I'd rather spend a few bucks more and pick up a(nother) used amp. At least I'd feel like I'd gotten something for my money. [^o)]

James