ANOTHER BONUS--I GIVE UP

BigStewMan

So AIG gives out another $165 million in bonuses--they claim they were legally obligated to honor contacts calling for bonuses. The corporate greed isn't worth arguing about anymore; but, here is a novel idea--how about those executives receiving the bonuses refuse them or at least only accept a fraction of it?

I wonder how they feel if everyone they encountered was visibly upset that they "pocketed" part of that bailout money? I don't think I'd like everyone that I saw on the street calling me a jerk. I mean, at some point, unless they are willing to isolate themselves, don't these people have to realize that they have to live with the rest of us? I guess I'm thinking of a form of peer pressure--if i received an obscene bonus, i sure would be afraid to let my fellow townspeople know it.

Hang em high.

Did you catch the part where they were worried about losing talent of that caliber? Bloody hell you mean the talent that led them to ruin. In the immortal words of my grandfather "a shower of bastards".

BTW for $10Mil they couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

[:^)]What do you expect when the treasurey secretary doesn't pay his taxes, the head of the ways and means committee doesn't pay his taxes. Why should these guys put any more restrictions on those fat bastards if the ones in the government don't give a sh**. Sure Geitner is the only one smart enough to save us. Hell he was the head of the New York area fed when all this started down. I'm sure he will save us. Ha Ha.

why would they care? look at the example the govt set; the porkulus spending bill and the last spending bill that were signed had some wasteful spending in it (remember this is a crisis that needed attention or else it would turn into a catastrophe; never let a good crisis go to waste). and it wasn't with an M; it was with a B.

• Like 1

I was born in the middle of the depression,,Chickin one day and feathers the next,,,, I remember seeing pictures of bankers jumping out the windows,, Maybe they were told they were not getting there bonisus.

I was born in the middle of the depression,,Chickin one day and feathers the next,,,, I remember seeing pictures of bankers jumping out the windows,, Maybe they were told they were not getting there bonisus.

Now they throw your life savings out the window. Ahh the good old days.

/devils advocate.

What if you where employeed at that company? What if you where on to get a bonus that you had a contracted from when you signed on long before this whole thing started. What if your from a department in the company that made them money this past year. Should one divison of the company make all suffer? Why not reward those that maybe didn't maybe saved them a few mill. What if you where the IT guy or the mailroom clerk. You make a base of $50k, and they give you $10k if all went well that year. Why make them suffer?

/devil advocate off.

Just to throw that out there. Yes, the whole thing is fustrating, and I hate to say it, but maybe we should let some of these companies fail and fall wayside. Then you wouldn't have this issue persay, but maybe we would have a slew of other issues.

The bad part is all this money getting pumped into the economy is just making our dollar worth less. Also for those that didn't need a bailout, it makes their stuff worth less...whether it's a business, home or assets.

Many are painting this picture and telling sob stories so they can get their hands on some of that cash.

So how about the example of the AIG insurance salesman. He gets a nominal salary of 18k and 3% of all term life sales he makes and 5% for all other insuracne products. Most AIG saleman from this pool average 50k in bonus. A few of them have the golden touch, truly great salesman, and are in the million dollar club.

So again, do you stiff these guys? cap em at 20K?

peace,

TommyK

The Treasury Dept. is just printing up more money...the US dollar is worth less than the paper it's printed on!

The American people wanted change...well, they've got it (for the worse). Welcome to U.S.S.A.

To hell with the banks and the Big Three. Let 'em all go bankrupt! Maybe what this country really needs is another revolution and clean out Congress...I'm just sayin'...

/devils advocate.

What if you where employeed at that company? What if you where on to get a bonus that you had a contracted from when you signed on long before this whole thing started. What if your from a department in the company that made them money this past year. Should one divison of the company make all suffer? Why not reward those that maybe didn't maybe saved them a few mill. What if you where the IT guy or the mailroom clerk. You make a base of $50k, and they give you $10k if all went well that year. Why make them suffer?

/devil advocate off.

Just to throw that out there. Yes, the whole thing is fustrating, and I hate to say it, but maybe we should let some of these companies fail and fall wayside. Then you wouldn't have this issue persay, but maybe we would have a slew of other issues.

True, but without the bail-out money, these employees would be JOBLESS. It's not about making them suffer for not getting bonuses, it is about whether they should go without a bonus because we saved their tails from UNEMPLOYMENT. Is there no room for an unselfish, "Thanks, Uncle Sam!?"

/devils advocate.

What if you where employeed at that company?  What if you where on to get a bonus that you had a contracted from when you signed on long before this whole thing started.  What if your from a department in the company that made them money this past year.  Should one divison of the company make all suffer?  Why not reward those that maybe didn't maybe saved them a few mill.  What if you where the IT guy or the mailroom clerk.  You make a base of $50k, and they give you $10k if all went well that year.  Why make them suffer?

/devil advocate off.

Just to throw that out there.  Yes, the whole thing is fustrating, and I hate to say it, but maybe we should let some of these companies fail and fall wayside.  Then you wouldn't have this issue persay, but maybe we would have a slew of other issues.

True, but without the bail-out money, these employees would be JOBLESS.  It's not about making them suffer for not getting bonuses, it is about whether they should go without a bonus because we saved their tails from UNEMPLOYMENT.  Is there no room for an unselfish, "Thanks, Uncle Sam!?"

Slate reported that this $165 million was going to only 400 employees. That is just over $400K each. Absolutely, they would have no bonus and no job were it not for US. I think they should demonstrate a wee bit of appreciation and learn to live on their meager salaries for a while. It is obscene for them to accept this sort of bonus under the circumstances.

Like I said, If AIG fails all the banks that have toxic loans on their books insured by AIG will fail. The FDIC (limited to 100 billion) will be unable to handle that huge of a system failure and will have no money to back up your savings accounts, CD's, checking accounts even though they say they can. That means you will be broke and going to restaurants asking for ketchup to put into a bowl of cold water for soup or starve. Maybe you can hope for a rotton apple in the garbage to survive. Your home will be foreclosed. The only people with any money will be those receiving Social security, Medicare, and unemployent benefits. Of course that is assuming a lot of assumptions. Yes, let them fail, USA by-by.

JJK

That means you will be broke and going to restaurants asking for ketchup to put into a bowl of cold water for soup or starve.

JJK

they are already getting stingy with those ketchup packs--i buy a large order of fries and they give me three little packs of ketchup. one pack for each fry, that's the rule--in difficult times like these, i'll try to make a pack cover four fries; but, come on--I'm no magician.

"So again, do you stiff these guys? cap em at 20K?"

They're *** lucky to have a company to work for an a job these days. They should be grateful, not greedy.

I say cap em. as far as the argument that the large bonuses are needed to retain quality talent; well, I find it hard to believe that i could have run that company into the ground any worse than they did--and I would have done it for a much smaller salary with no bonus.