My new (used) Rotel RB-956AX

tommyboy

I have to say this thread has got me more excited than a kid in a candy shop. I happened to run into this exact amp yesterday on Craigslist. The guy never used it and it has been stored in its original box for close to ten years. He lives about five minutes from me and I am going to check it out when he gets out of work. As I was looking up the specs I found this thread, way too excited! It is my intention to also use it for my Fronts and Center. Quite a few people in forums have said that with my speakers WF-34, WC-24 and how efficient they are, an amp will not be a noticeable improvement. Being the junkie I am for hobbies, this thread has put me over the edge of excitement with no return. I didn't see how much you grabbed yours for but this guy is asking $150. Think that's a good deal? It is pretty old but most things were built better years ago. It sounds to me like you seriously benefited with yours. Do you think running my WF-34 Fronts and WC-24 Center, freeing up those channels with only the Surrounds and Surround Backs, plus Sub out coming off my RX-V765 will be as blood pumping an experience as you've experienced? I find it hard to believe as others have said, that it would not help my AVR run cooler and allow more power for the remaining channels. Let alone, the dedicated power going to the Front soundstage. After all, I am not actually getting the advertised 95w to each channel with the internal Yamaha amp, right? Unless someone rains on my parade, this is a done deal. I'm pretty psyched, this thread had me flying.

Got the AMP installed and have got an annoying light humming noise coming from Fronts and Center connected to AMP itself. Never had a humming before. I am trying to identify where it is coming from and have nothing on but the AMP and still hear it. Any ideas?

Got the AMP installed and have got an annoying light humming noise coming from Fronts and Center connected to AMP itself. Never had a humming before. I am trying to identify where it is coming from and have nothing on but the AMP and still hear it. Any ideas?

Most common cause of that is a ground loop hum. Try a different outlet. Other than that, there is a loop eliminator from radio shack that is supposed to work really well for that.

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking for something like that. My only question is: I have Front left and Front right along with Center coming into the Amp. So three cables in all. The Radio Shack unit below has two ends, would I get two of them and just let one end dangle behind the Amp or how is it done?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214#

Does the unit above replace the actual cables to connect the Receiver and Amp?

Thanks a lot for your help!

To be honest, I'm not sure as I've never actually used one myself. I would just start with one and see if you can get the hum to go away. Is the hum coming out of all the speakers? If so, try one and see if it stops the hum from that speaker, then you will know what to do with the rest =^) If it doesn't work, you can always return it and try something else...

Thanks! I just ordered a 4 channel ground loop isolator and a bunch of banana plugs from monoprice (love that place) and will see when they come in if it fixes the buzzing problem. The sound is so low you have to put your ear up to the speaker to hear it. As far as the power goes, im going to have an electrician come tomorrow and install a 20 amp dedicated line for my audio room. My buddy will do it for a 12 pack. Lol, Thanks!