$200 CORNWALL SAGA - RESCUING ORPHANS

The epoxy resin corner and edge material has dried to it's granite like state. Now it's just a matter of blending it into the horizontal/ vertical surfaces. The material dries fairly clear so you can see the formica underneath

In the case of these CW's, unless the formica was damaged, lifting, etc., I left it on as the substrate" for the veneer. There are several advantages to that. First, the stuff is like a rock; second it is otherwise "flat" and provides a very good layer on which to lay the new veneer; third.... it would take forever to get off.... and once the new veneer is applied, you will never see it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several of the internal staples on the batting material were missing, and in one case, a whole piece of the batting was missing, so fixed that, made sure the paper strings were attached, etc. The batting is a "kraft paper" packing product, and is available in bulk from uline.com. It's pricey, but it's the same material used by the factory when they made the CW's.

The cap wires are folded over a loop on the main wires, and then soldered together. I carefully do that part making sure that the only solder is what "flows" into the wire and that's it. Then heat the shrink wrap and straighten out the wires.

It's ugly, but I also took this picture for another project I'm working on that shows inductor and autoformer part numbers and cap values for Heritage crossovers. I could make very nice crossover boards, etc.... but that's another project....

Now for the grills.....

For a detailed photo essay on how to do grills, see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110684.aspx.

Short version.

I use a frame specifically made for Cornwall grills. I take the cloth and align it in the frame along seam edges and lay the cloth in the clamps over the correct Cornwall grill template (underneath). The frame (and the cloth) is then evenly stretched by using wedges at all four corners.

Once the adhesive sets, I then apply contact cement to the grill blank edges and fold the cloth over. The cloth is "squeezed" tight against the contact cement using either the roller or with a piece of 2x4 and a hammer.... Works for me....

Then the velcro is applied, both pieces... The piece that will "stick" to the motorboard still has it's backing tape and will not be removed until I'm ready to install them.