What's better 2 way or 3 way?

russ69

I'm not sure if you mean speakers in general or just Klipsch, but I feel Klipsch 3 ways with their horn-loaded mid range are definitely better in my mind than a Klipsch 2 (or 2.5) way. But I've always felt a simple crossover design like those used in some 2 ways is preferable to 2.5 or 3 ways, of course this all depends upon the design of the crossover as well as the speaker. But of the non Klipsch speakers that I've owned or listened to, I usually do prefer a simple 2 way design, or even better a Quad electrostat without any crossover. A simple crossover, or lack of one at all seems a good way to improve midrange purity.

I think with both types at their full potential, mated with compatible components the three way has the ability to deliver "more" music for your buck. The three-way is more revealing.

However, from the three-way speakers I've heard if they're not matched up with the right components they just reveal more of what I don't want to hear. Two-ways do sound more clear and crisp to my ears......but don't have as "big" of a sound as a three-way.

I heard some wonderful sounding, less efficient two-way speakers at the AudioKarma-Chicago get together. Very warm, inviting sounding two-ways but lacked the detail and articulate sound that Klipsch delivers. The Rega speakers they had there sure sounded nice though.....powered by a Fisher 400 tube receiver.

This is not at all what I thought this thread was going to be about.

2 way or 3 way. i always get a 5 way. here in cincy i'm talking about skyline chilli. chilli - spaghetti - beans- onions - cheese. coytee knows what i am talking about

I like 2 ways in a mini-monitor, because the woofer is not 'asked' to go down below 40 hz. - So the woofer is free to reproduce the midrange and the tweeter is there to do the highs - When you set up a Full range speaker like a Khorn or Altec 19, I prefer a 3 way. The Altec 19 is a 2 way and just does not 'cut it' for me. -- No tweeter is No good !

2 way or 3 way. i always get a 5 way. here in cincy i'm talking about skyline chilli. chilli - spaghetti - beans- onions - cheese. coytee knows what i am talking about

(shakes fist in air)

Dam you for making me hungry when I'm 3 1/2 hours away...

(shakes fist in air 4 more times)

• Moderators

I think it is easier to come up with a good two way speaker. Three way just requires more engineering that has to be right. A poorly implemented three way sounds really really bad.

I agree with Dee somewhat, but a 2 way done correctly should be better, less areas that the different crossover has to be right/seamless. PWK's last design goal was to make the Khorn a 2 way, eliminating one of the crossover points by doing so.