OT: Anyone use their computer as a fax machine?

I have a fax in my office but want to just use PDF's for everything. I know that Windows has a fax function built in if I buy a PCI card with a telephone modem. Has anyone used this before?

Or, how about software where I can scan to PDF and then send using my existing fax machine (which is a scanner, fax and copier and hooked to me computer via USB).

That's one of the reasons I still have a NeXT Cube sitting under my desk. Faxes are sent directly to and from my computer. When a fax is received my printer fires up and prints it out. The only drawback is that if something does not originate in the computer, I have to scan it in before I can fax it. 20 year old technology - still does stuff my "modern" computers can't. [H]

James

I only listen to LP's..

Oh, wait. Wrong Forum.

Seriously, there used to be a number of free or cheap PC fax solutions but somebody seems to have largely stamped them out. I honestly have no idea why fax exists as it's expensive and easy to cheat.

OK, so is an email...but at least it's cheap and reasonable resolution.

Crikey, NeXT? Need to get my Amiga back out and relive the days of real multitasking, stable operating systems.

Dave

I only listen to LP's..

Oh, wait. Wrong Forum.

Seriously, there used to be a number of free or cheap PC fax solutions but somebody seems to have largely stamped them out. I honestly have no idea why fax exists as it's expensive and easy to cheat.

OK, so is an email...but at least it's cheap and reasonable resolution.

Crikey, NeXT? Need to get my Amiga back out and relive the days of real multitasking, stable operating systems.

Dave

I agree 100%. The problem is that I am an attorney and sometimes have to deal with stogy old farts who think that email is the work of the devil. I know of peopel who have their secretary print out all of their emials so that they can read them.

It is insane that some places accept a fax as a legally binding doc but not a PDF of a docuemnt with a signature. I am dealing with banks and need to fax then powers of attorney and they can't accept an email. Time to step into the late 20th century as the rest of us are in the 21st century.

One of our physics profs. still has a couple of NeXT workstations that he still uses. They are dog slow at this point, though.

I use OneSuite as a dial around to call overseas from my pc or telephone. For example, calling China is under 2 cents a minute. Why am I tleling you this, you might ask?

They also have a FAX package. You won't need a modem. Check it out, I really think it will be what you are looking for.

https://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp>

Bruce

One of our physics profs. still has a couple of NeXT workstations that he still uses. They are dog slow at this point, though.

I use OneSuite as a dial around to call overseas from my pc or telephone. For example, calling China is under 2 cents a minute. Why am I tleling you this, you might ask?

They also have a FAX package. You won't need a modem. Check it out, I really think it will be what you are looking for.

https://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp>

Bruce

My Amiga 4000, last updated on it's 200mbyte HDD in 1996 (!), still runs circles around MS in terms of stable 30fps anims and true preemptive multitasking, which, in spite of the "big lie" Windows does not do (nor does Mac). Even though I've given up hope I STILL cuss a blue streak when I get "doink, doink, doink" and a "sorry, a dialogue box is open" due to the archaic code we are stuck with.

Okies, time for some MUSIC, my fax machine really sounds awful.

Dave

Chicago: The NeXTStep OS was built on top of Unix (BSD 4.3)

Marvel: Yeah, NeXT systems are now bog slow comparatively speaking.

I've got a "Turbo" Cube and a NeXTstation TurboColor slab - both running 33mhz 68040 cpu's.

Simple and elegant, still my preferred OS for most things, especially word processing - how fast can you type anyway?

As an aside, they just celebrated the 20th aniversary of the inception of the World Wide Web at Cern in Switzerland where it was created by Tim Berners-Lee using a NeXT Cube.

http://www.w3.org/2009/03/CERNweb20th.html

James

We use our computers at work to fax maintenance manuals that are PDF files all the time. Here is the kicker I know how to do it but I don't know how it works. we just hit print then in the print window we select fax instead of the printer and then the fax wizaed comes up and you fill in the blanks and hit send. then you can watch the progress in the fax console.

Steve

We use our computers at work to fax maintenance manuals that are PDF files all the time. Here is the kicker I know how to do it but I don't know how it works. we just hit print then in the print window we select fax instead of the printer and then the fax wizaed comes up and you fill in the blanks and hit send. then you can watch the progress in the fax console.

Steve

Yes, That's it. How do you like it? I will need to buy a PCI modem card to use Windows Fax.

Is it clunky or does it work well? How about receiving faxes to PDF?

I do not print much as I print most docs to PDF anyway.

• 10 years later...
On 3/18/2009 at 10:11 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I have a fax in my office but want to just use PDF's for everything. I know that Windows has a fax function built in if I buy a PCI card with a telephone modem. Has anyone used this before?

Or, how about software where I can scan to PDF and then send using my existing fax machine (which is a scanner, fax and copier and hooked to me computer via USB).

I've been seeing individuals on the forums state that the Actiontec router is awful. Through fax machines send fax methods is old, Nowadays peoples are using online fax services, this method not required machine OR landline, recently i used this site for fax. check https://cocofax.com/

6 hours ago, ninaholm05@gmail.com said:

I've been seeing individuals on the forums state that the Actiontec router is awful. Through fax machines send fax methods is old, Nowadays peoples are using online fax services, this method not required machine OR landline, recently i used this site for fax. check https://cocofax.com/

This may have been relevant 11 years ago when this thread was started. 

• Haha 1