Slight Hum on K Horns

Thanks for your time.
The amp alone (No Input) makes the hum, The 1975 Sansui Amp has a 2 prong plug. The hum gets worse when I ground the unit. The guys on Audiokarma belive the problem is a bad power supply cap. Here is a link with pics & specs of the Sansui Ba-5000 Amp. Thanks Rick
http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/san/BA5000.html

That would "sound" correct. Remove the covers and look at the caps; see if any of them are "swollen". One of my 11000 amps had swollen caps when I got it.

hi all,

i had trouble with hum and hiss with some amps and recievers. i'm a poor boy and don't have the funds to go with what i wish i could but i have found a couple amps that i find are quiet and do the trick for me:

the solid state amp i've been using is an NAD 320 BEE. for a tube amp i have a Scott 299 that was looked over and stroked by craig at NOS Valves. the one other amp i use regularly is a Trends 10.1 which i have the tuner hooked to...also very quiet with the Klipschorns. i can't attest to the quality of the sound compared to other amps but i can say they have little to no hiss and they sound good to me.

I just got a pair of NOS Valves VRD's and i had an annoying hum on both channels and sure enough it was a ground loop issue. I put cheater plugs on the VRD's and dead silence. The only thing about cheater plugs (converts 3 prongs to 2 prongs and lifts the ground) is they can make you the ground and shock you if the right conditions exist. I did some research and bought the Ebtech Hum X Ground Loop Eliminator for AC Electrical Lines. It has 3 prongs and stays grounded so you will be safe. All you do is put it on the amp that is giving you the hum and it takes it out. It's not the amp that is causing the hum, it is just amplifying it and the Hum X will make it go away without affecting the audio signal (sound quality).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/

Good Luck