Biggest Rig

Professor Thump

• 2 weeks later...

Just
for Professor Thump.... take a look at what the bassist has for cabs...
looks like a pair of 4 x 10 or 4 x 12 cabs.

Thanks Michael... Nice pictures!

It looks like there are dual cabs with 8 x 10" or 12". I bet you get a lot of snap off of all of those motors.

The Eminence Basslite CA2010 drivers are amazing:

http://www.eminence.com/bassguitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=bassliteca2010&speaker_size=10&SUB_CAT_ID=5

In
the right cabinet you can get both low end growl and sharp snappy
mids/highs. The only downside is you won't get that much SPL from
them...I can see what he's running with sixteen drivers [:o] lol.

Btw,
if you're looking for a real cheap bass guitar amp, an XTi 1000 works
real well with its built-in subharmonic synthesizer and really
hammering on the compressor.

I suppose to keep things on topic I should post a pic of a big sound system...

Here's
a shot from the mix position from the annual Chicago Caribbean Music
Festival that I mixed FOH for a couple months ago. We were running 8x MTH-1 per side for the MF/HF and 4x MTL-1 per side for LF. In the middle was 4x MTL-4 for mono LF. Amplifiers were Yorkville AP series. FOH mixer was a Yamaha PM5D and I believe the monitor mix was done on a Yamaha M7CL.
The crappy rainbow speakers on the sides were from King Tubbis
Sound...I can't even begin to describe how crappy/obnoxious that system
was. Here's a link to his website to get a feel for their "good"
sound....http://www.kingtubbis.com/
(the guy would literally run around with a ladder and screwdriver
putting his head into every speaker while it was playing at full tilt
to find out what drivers were blown and he would just swap them all day
long...driver after driver would blow and he'd just keep on replacing
them).

Anyways, here's the setup:

post-10350-13819511613278_thumb.jpg

I wish I had more time to take pictures, but it was a real busy 3 day fesitival. I couldn't believe how clean those MTL-1 bins sounded. I was real worried about there being all sorts of crazy reflections inside the coax horn. The festival was held in Union Park and it was definitely full. I've never done Caribbean before and man is it a hard genre to mix for, but I made it through alive. The MTx series from EV packs some serious SPL per cubic foot...only downside is those bins are super heavy - good thing we had roadies for doing all the lifting [:D]

• 2 months later...

Sorry Charlie, the rig you say in this picture is no JBL Vertec rig..... that would be a McCauly rig and believe me bro, the two are very different. JBL Vertec far,far superior rig. This is like calling your Kornerhorn a floor standing speaker. Get your facts straight and do a little research before spewwing out wrong information.

David Collar

Project Manager

Lighthouse Productions

Green Bay, Wi.

24 JBL Vertec 4889

16 JBL Vertec 4880

• 1 year later...

Is the "wall of sound" actually assembled and being used somewhere? I saw the Dead many times with portions of it (that big center array over the drum kit) in '79/'80.

..............So where is it? If it's at your house, your rig is bigger than mine.

• Like 1

well it's no U2 rig but I'll be mixing a local band Healing Sixes (Jason Bonham was their drummer a while back, they do a lot of Zep), at the Labor Day RibAmerica fest here this weekend. Last year it was an enormous EAW rig that was just stupidly loud and clean for a city park. Will report back- Doobie Brothers will be headlining that night.

M

Mark- I have two of the Bag End mid/high cabinets as used in Wall of Sound bass rig. Each cab has 2xEVM12L and 6x JBL 5" highs in vertical line. These and some dual 15" cabs were what made up the tri-amped (with massive McIntosh no less) bass guitar setups.

<

• Like 2