Diana Krall's new album

Guest David H

I may get flamed for this, and if that is the case, flame away. I can stand the heat. :) The following is just my opinion.......

I don't get it.

I have been a "lurker" here for several years. I have read the glowing reviews of Diana Krall on this forum. I had never heard of her. Curiosity lead me to buy one of her CD's.

I have listened to this CD with Klipschorns & La Scalas. I have listened with my Moondog SET 2a3's, my McIntosh MC30's, my Scott 299B, my EICO HF-81, and my McIntosh MC 2105.

I don't get it. I do not enjoy listening to her CD. I don't like her choice of songs, her voice, her musical accompaniment, etc. I never play her CD when I have friends over...and none of my friends notice the ommision since they have never heard of her either.

Can someone please explain what it is that they find so compelling? It seems that all I read are just general (non-specific) comments that say the listener likes her latest CD. What specifically do you like? Is it the voice? The range of her voice? The lyrics? The instruments? The stereo effects? Is it just background/easy listening music? Is it elevator music? Do you stop everything that you are doing and concentrate on just listening?

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I really just don't get it.

Blindman,

Don't expect in the least to see you flamed for sharing an opinion about an artist. It's good to know you tried out something you heard on the forum. I hadn't heard of Krall until hearing forum members speak of her. It's no big deal, but I turned in to a huge fan. I think she is an amazing talent and her material, even live, is miced right and well recorded.

There are a number of artists that I've picked up on and purchased CD's. Even tried to like them, but ended up scratching my head. For example, except MAYBE for background music, I'd never listen to Norah Jones. Gave away her CD. Her music doesn't grab me. She just sounds like a girl crooning, to my ears.

Anyway, you aren't alone on the forum in not appreciating Diana Krall.

One thing, I would be interested to hear the people and music that you do like? Hope you'll say more about that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a horrible photograph of her. I am a professional photographer and I'm appaled that they would let THAT be the cover shot, yikes.

Technically, yes. Here's my take on it- you have a go at it too Claude.

The pose is unflattering to her face, revealling her rather wide nose, her mouth is crunched up on one side and eyes squinty and poorly lit. Eyes all the way to one side of the eye socket is normally not done in portraiture. Her arms look awkward and the rear hand is partly amputated so you don't see finger tips. The pose is odd, neither terribly feminine nor masculine although her slim waist and hips are shown. Her bosom area is nearly completely flattened in this pose. Her coup de grace, those legs, are mysteriously cropped out.

Yes it has everything going against it in terms of traditional portraiture, but it's SAUCY!

Well, Mikey, being a good photographer yourself, I agree with your comments. I only want to add about the poor lighting, since I was best friends with the late, great, Dean Collins, and I teach lighting seminars/workshops on a national level.

So you are a leg man, eh? Great minds think alike. My wife has great legs, so that does it for me without Diana's on the cover. LOL.

I may get flamed for this, and if that is the case, flame away. I can stand the heat. :) The following is just my opinion.......

I don't get it.

I have been a "lurker" here for several years. I have read the glowing reviews of Diana Krall on this forum. I had never heard of her. Curiosity lead me to buy one of her CD's.

I have listened to this CD with Klipschorns & La Scalas. I have listened with my Moondog SET 2a3's, my McIntosh MC30's, my Scott 299B, my EICO HF-81, and my McIntosh MC 2105.

I don't get it. I do not enjoy listening to her CD. I don't like her choice of songs, her voice, her musical accompaniment, etc. I never play her CD when I have friends over...and none of my friends notice the ommision since they have never heard of her either.

Can someone please explain what it is that they find so compelling? It seems that all I read are just general (non-specific) comments that say the listener likes her latest CD. What specifically do you like? Is it the voice? The range of her voice? The lyrics? The instruments? The stereo effects? Is it just background/easy listening music? Is it elevator music? Do you stop everything that you are doing and concentrate on just listening?

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I really just don't get it.

Not to worry, you are not alone. I just don't get the raves she gets. To me she's more of a Holiday Inn lounge singer than a true chantreuse.

Got one or two of her cd's and can't tell you when the last time was I had them on. To me the one whose she's most often contrasted with is Norah Jones and I think Norah Jones is the much better of the two.

But that hardly matters. It's all about your own tastes in music and tehse folks like her which is very cool with me. Trust me I play stuff nobody else would touch with a 9 foot pole.

If you want to try out some female singers check out Eva Cassidy, Rickie Lee Jones, Ella, Sarah etc. I love good female vocals and there is a ton of really good ones out there.

I ordered it also. I received an email yesterday from Amazon, saying it shipped. I like a lot of her work. Live In Paris DVD is amazing. I do not have that CD and now that it was mentioned that it is different from the DVD, I may have to get it. We'll see how Quiet Nights is, I am looking forward to it.

51-%2BMKpwNSL._SS500_.jpg

I'm going to have to say, bad lighting, photography, hair and all, I still think she looks HOT~! Might be those come hither eyes and smile!!! [:P]

Dennie

Stupid me. I just bought it. I've just finshed listening to the entire album. - and what a waste of money. I had a listen in my car on the way home from work and I was thinking, "this doesn't sound so hot".

When I got home I threw the power switches on my system and my worst fears were confirmed - this album has VERY average recording quality. The bass is muddy and poorly defined. Krall sounds like she's singing from the bottom of a well. I know she's capable of much, much better as 'Live in Paris' proves. Also the production is dreary and makes the album sound like the stuff you'd hear in an elevator.

I want my money back...[:@]

Krall sounds like she's singing from the bottom of a well.

Why do they so often add delay, reverb, echo, chorusing, etc to vocals? These added artificial effects just destroys the natural beauty of the original voice. I think it's to make the singer's voice seem larger. These actually just make the singer sound like they're singing in a tunnel or from the bottom of a well. Leave the singer's natural voice alone. I'm amazed with how bad most recordings are done and all these terrible added artificial effects. Clueless... You pretty much have to go to simple acoustic jazz to get recordings that are close to the real deal.

Guest David H

I picked up this album, and am really enjoying it. I have not sat down for any serious listening, but the songs are typical Krall style, and the quality is good.

As for singing in a well, I have noticed this hall type sound effect on a few of her albums and am ok with it.

As for Live in Paris..... Love it.

I picked up this album, and am really enjoying it. I have not sat down for any serious listening, but the songs are typical Krall style, and the quality is good.

As for singing in a well, I have noticed this hall type sound effect on a few of her albums and am ok with it.

As for Live in Paris..... Love it.

That's interesting that you love the album. I thought that this album is very different from Krall's usual style. I reckon she's trying to sound like one of those torch sigers from years gone by. This style doesn't suit her...

I am a fan of Diana Krall and I ordered the new album as well as the last two that I didn't have to complete the collection...I have only listenend to the new one once (last night) and have to say it seems at first blush like a weak attempt...at least compared to her others that I really enjoy...I am listening right now to 1996's diana krall All for You and in comparison, it sounds much better to me...still a fan but hoping for better...not a bad effort just not up to her usual (IMO) efforts...

Bill

I am a fan of Diana Krall and I ordered the new album as well as the last two that I didn't have to complete the collection...I have only listenend to the new one once (last night) and have to say it seems at first blush like a weak attempt...at least compared to her others that I really enjoy...I am listening right now to 1996's diana krall All for You and in comparison, it sounds much better to me...still a fan but hoping for better...not a bad effort just not up to her usual (IMO) efforts...

Bill

That's my take as well, Bill. An unusually weak effort. Maybe her record company thought they could tap a part of the market that laps stuff like this up. Disappointing...