advice requested on wma to mp3 conversion

Daddy Dee

Some time ago I asked for recommendations on software for converting DRMed WMA's to DRMfree mp3's and got some good advice. I think it was Seti who suggested SoundTaxi, which I have started using with good results. It's user friendly and can write an unprotected mp3 cleanly and easily.

My question is about what bit rate would be optimal for the mp3's as converted from a 192kbs WMA file. The software will write mp3's all the way to 320kbs which I don't mind doing, but it does use more hard drive real estate.

For ripping music from CD's, I think a lossless format would be good and maybe even mp3's at 320.

My question is about the WMA's which are already subjected to some compression. I haven't done a listening comparison to find out about hearing a difference, and will do that at some point.

Any advice is appreciated. Is it a waste to write an MP3 at a higher resolution than the source WMA?

This whole project is in preparation to dump Napster (legal). I have quite a few purchased tracks with this pesky DRM. It makes backup impossible. I heard from a friend who tells me that Itunes allows users to arrange to get DRM free downloads to replace the already purchased DRMed downloads. That is a nice option. Napster will not do the right thing in this matter, though. They do now sell DRM free music, but tough luck on what you've already purchased.

In my experience, I have had good results in not going higher in resolution from 192, I try to stay 192 or go to 160, depends on how it sounds, I find some material at 160 to sound hollow, but other times sounds fine. I don't find 192 too bad from WMA, if a track sounds questionable, then I'll usually select 128 to be safe. M.O.