Drum Corps

Coytee

When I was a kid, I went to a basketball game. The halftime show was some kind of military drum corps who absolutely lit it up during the halftime show. Years later, I've never forgotten that.

The other day, I thought it would be cool to get a recording of something like this and found

http://store.dci.org/2008_World_Championships_DVD_C_C170.cfm?UserID=6663835&jsessionid=f030ec9e1eab6eebfdb285128651d73564e7

So, my question is... is anyone here familar with this type thing? Good/bad/indifferent?

Do you know of some other drum group that can light it up?

If it helps... I'm not necessarily interested in a marching band kind of sound, though that's not a closed door... my first thought is to keep it simple and percussive!!

Something you might play for an incredible audition.

Side comment, I've got a couple CD's from Ohio States marching band. Although I don't know that I'd accuse it of being the best recording I've ever heard, I played it outside one afternoon and it sounded pretty darnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn good. So, I've already got some band music... which is why I'm wondering about finding a drum corps more specifically.

I've never heard of this DCI thing

If you are looking for good drumline's, I would look at corps like the Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cadets of Bergen County, or the Cavaliers. These corps traditionally have had top of the line drum corps. Cavaliers were always my favorite.

Youtube has a lot of good previews of different corps.

This is probably one of the more impressive drum solo's I remember seeing done by the Cadets.

If you are looking for good drumline's, I would look at corps like the Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cadets of Bergen County, or the Cavaliers. These corps traditionally have had top of the line drum corps. Cavaliers were always my favorite.

Youtube has a lot of good previews of different corps.

Hey Lakedmb, Good to see you! You're a long way from S & V, but so am I! LOL

I would have to agree with YOUTUBE, they have some amazing Drum Line previews.

Dennie

LOL - We sure are Dennie. Not much has been going on over at S&V, especially since Altec has left the scene. Hope all is well.

Yeah, I noticed it has slowed down. I am sure he will be back, he always comes back. Like a lot of us. Sometimes one just needs a break!

I not only found some of the best speakers ever made, my La Scala's, I also found one of the best forums ever! [:P]

Dennie

Other posters have given you some of the big names in DCI.

I've listened to many of these live at regional events and DCI Championship events and also recordings of these events.

While the recordings are decent, they will not be the same emotional experience as attending a live event. It's just very difficult to capture/record/properly mic a performance with all the movement that occurs, the fact that the performance is outdoors etc.

My first experience with recordings was vinyl in the 70's and more recently CD's and DVD's in the 90's and 00's. Again, the recordings are pretty good, but the hair never stood up on the back of my neck from any of the recordings.

I would still try one though, your mileage may vary..

It's great entertainment, as usual live is best, once a year the nationals are televised. Percussion rules. Ohio State probably has a good music department, but The University of Michigan is of a class with The University of Indiana and The University of North Texas.

Ohio State probably has a good music depar

perhaps [;)]

Isn't Ohio State the largest all brass band?

Aside from that, it seems once a year Ohio State has an Alumni game where ALL the Alumni band members are invited back to play again for a day. I went there about 2 years ago to watch OSU play Miami of Ohio (Grandfather went to Ohio State, father/myself both went to Miami)

We of course, knew Ohio State would squash Miami to smithereens (and they did!) however, the reason Dad wanted to go wasn't the ball game, but the bands. This was Alumni day and there was something stupid like 400 band members on the field. I don't really remember the number but it was enough where Ohio State could create four script Ohios and STILL have the Miami band there playing also.

That was one of the most enjoyable days I've ever had watching something like that.

Just to give you an idea... we drove up Friday night to Findlay Ohio (and also stopped in Bluffton, Hi Twistedcrankcammer!!) Then continuned on to Columbus. got up Saturday morning, went to what I think is called St. Johns arena to watch the bands practice. All of them, inlcluding Miami's. Went to game, watched halftime show and headed back south to come home after the halftime show.

Kind of things that fond father/son memories are made of.

[Y]

One of the Stereophile Test CD's has a drummer doing a solo that sounds like the kit is right in your room. The bigger the speakers the better of course. I think it might be single-mic'ed which makes it all the more real sounding. Get the volume set just right and close your eyes . . . .

Test CD #2 maybe. I know I have it around somewhere.

Greg