SVS help

jbpjr

I have a PB12-Plus2 sub. (think that's the right model #, discontinued sub with dual 12's)
I purchased some new Klipsch speakers and since replacing my old speakers, I can't seem to get the sub to sound right.
Right now I have the gain at about 1/3, crossover enabled at 80Hz, and subsonic filter at 18 (middle position). I have all of the ports open. The receiver has the speakers set to "small".
I'm getting plenty of the deep rumbling bass, but was trying to make the sub a little more "punchy" while still maintaining the deep, shake the walls bass.
Any suggestions on what I should try?
Also, has anyone heard both the KW-120 sub and the one I have? Would the KW-120's make much difference?
Thanks for your help.

I used to have that exact same sub and loved it. I'm afraid you're goung to have to experiment with placement and phase to get the sound you want. You've got a LARGE sub, so placement options may be limited, but try different areas in the room, it can make an enormous difference in the bass you get at the listening position. Moving it is a bugger because of it's weight, so be sure to get a six-pack and a friend to make it a little easier.

The sub is in the only place it will fit. I could move it a few feet along the same wall, but don't think that would make much difference.

SVS tech suggested a couple of setting changes, but it really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I have 3 KL-650's and 2 KL-525's with an Elite SC-07

Try removing the bottom plate and face the drivers out toward you. The sub will have a smaller footprint but be taller. I have never personally tried this configuration, but I've seen it done many times with very good results. I believe the bottom plate is held on with allen screws.

I might try laying the sub on it’s side, but leaving the bottom plate on. Reluctant to leave it exposed like that without protection. First thing that would happen, the dog or a kid would be thru the speaker, head first.

If I set the crossover at 50Hz, doesn’t that just defeat the purpose of having bookshelf size speakers. Can two 6.5" woofers with 140 watts really produce enough "pop"?

Is this just the wrong sub for these speakers? I thought, more or less, a sub was a sub. You could match them with any size or type of speaker since they are just for the lows. Maybe not.

I should be able to get this sub sounding good, right? Or is it just too big?

Thanks for the help.

Your mains are good to 48 Hz. You might try crossing them over at 60 first and experiment after that. Your sub is not too big. It may be a placement (room) issue and no matter what sub you get, you may run to the same problem. On lower frequencies, you normally experience 2 things. One is the rumble you can feel in your chair and throughout your body. That's usually 40-35 Hz and down. The slam you feel on the front of your chest is normally called mid-bass. It's the upper frequencies of bass like what you feel at a concert. A lot of mid bass comes from your mains, depending on crossover points. I would think your speakers are capable as long as you don't have any cancellation issues going on in your room. Have you tried it with AND without your receivers room EQ turned on? Which one sounds better?

subsonic filter at 18 (middle position). I have all of the ports open.

I have a PB-12 Plus/2 and a PB-12 Ultra/2. If I remember correctly, you tune the box as follows:

16hz = two ports blocked

20hz = one port blocked (I'm not aware of an 18hz setting)

25hz = 0 ports blocked

Does your PB-12 Plus/2 have a parametric eq?

I'm going to recalibrate with the receiver crossover at 50Hz and see if that helps. I'll try with and without EQ. When you say EQ, do you mean the Phase Control on the receiver? I don't remember seeing an option to enable or disable EQ. Thanks

I forgot to post the changes I made after talking with SVS tech.

Subsonic Filter at 25Hz with all ports open. Sub crossover disabled.

SVS said that blocking the ports would just add more deep bass, would not help with what I'm trying to achieve.

Sub doesn't have EQ and your right, 20Hz, not 18.

Try removing the bottom plate and face the drivers out toward you.

I've also thought about trying that but never have. Hmmm. I mostly use my SVS's for two-channel listening.......so I'm getting even more interested in trying it.

tried crossover at 50 Hz and the sub didn't have much "power", the bass was kind of dead. don't think the kl-650's are capable of producing enough bass to make up difference.

don't know if i have audysey software. i have mcacc.

was able to figure out how to turn eq on and off, sounds better with eq on.

have the receiver crossover back at 80Hz and the detail and rumble is there, just not the tightness or punch.

thinking about just getting the kw-120's and amp. don't think this sub has the ability to give punchy bass.

thanks for the help

I'm not familiar with the KW-120 sub.

Sounds like you're looking for some mid-bass slam. The SVS is gonna give some punchy bass.....but it is deep bass. Deep bass is an excellent enhancement to a sub that only delivers mid-bass slam. Don't give up on the PB-12 Plus/2......it's an excellent sub.

If you're a bass freak or just like your tunes to sound as live as possible......pair the SVS up with another sub that only plays upper bass frequencies. Best of both worlds.