Forte Test Drive Thursday

willland

I bought the forte's from audiogon. The risers are missing, anyone have an extra set?

Also, I was auditioning Heart-Crazy on You, and noticed that it doesn't sound quite right. I have spent most of my listening time with Maggies, but I'm thinking this exceeds the differences between speakers (spent two years with La Scalas and never noticed such a difference).

So, anyone remember the audiophile LPs? Is the Heart CD not as good as that was? I have been listening to consumer Infinity's for 10 years due to kids and dogs, maybe my memory can't be trusted. No easy way to A>B them with my maggies, but it sounds pretty much as I remember on them - I am afraid the Klipsch are suspect (all drivers are functioning, just not sweet/clear like I rememember).

Thanx for any guidance.

I bought the forte's from audiogon.  The risers are missing, anyone have an extra set?

Also, I was auditioning Heart-Crazy on You, and noticed that it doesn't sound quite right.  I have spent most of my listening time with Maggies, but I'm thinking this exceeds the differences between speakers (spent two years with La Scalas and never noticed such a difference).

So, anyone remember the audiophile LPs?  Is the Heart CD not as good as that was?  I have been listening to consumer Infinity's for 10 years due to kids and dogs, maybe my memory can't be trusted. No easy way to A>B them with my maggies, but it sounds pretty much as I remember on them - I am afraid the Klipsch are suspect (all drivers are functioning, just not sweet/clear like I rememember).

Thanx for any guidance.

First suspect would be the source, if you are comparing LP to CD, that could be the difference alone. However, I have owned Maggies 1.4 and 1.6 and they could be described as clearer sounding, or less colored sounding than Fortes, or virtually any other speaker. That is the signature of planars and electrostats, no coloration is added from a cabinet. Of course, Maggies have their own pros and cons like every speaker as do Klipsch. It took some time for me to adept to the sound of some recordings on my Klipsch verse the Maggies, but I found it no different than any other speaker change that I have made. Every speaker I've owned has played some recordings better, and some worse than the speakers that preceded them. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

True enough, It has taken me years to get back to the equipment I had-ish. I passed on replacing the LS's as I just don't have the room, and ('remembered' again), that the Forte's impressed me as sounding very close to them when a friend and I compared. But as I said, my 'checked' MG IIa's sound as I remember them and the CD seems a reasonable facsimile to the special LPs (I still have them all, just too lazy to get them out of sealed storage to remember the studio that did them). My Tympanis are broken, I'd fix'em if I had a house that could take them, lol.

My room is a family-room mess, peq'd by a YamahaYPAO 2400, so not a great environment, it made the Infinitys sound passable, might be more correction than the Forte's can put up with. The difference between emits and maggies was minimal to my ear, I like the highs on them, just nothing else.

Guess I'll hafta' move 'em down to the Maggie room (9x12 closet, actually) and A>B 'em there. S#'s are 8718, just in case there is a 1987-something that I missed.

The risers should help as well, I need the extra height.