Used crown or carver amps

winchester21

My son is putting together a low $$ entry level - 2 ch-system from used components. There have been some Crown 300 and some older - (90s)carver pre amp/ amp combos for sale pretty cheap on e-bay and at some local shops. I have heard that there are some cooling issues and fan noises to be considered with some of these older units. Any in particulatr that should be avoided/reccomended? I have had good luck with newer pre owned power amps for HT applications. This would be for 2 channel - RF3s. Thanks in advance

The Crown 300 was a great workhorse clean amp for years.

I have Sunfire equipment but Bob Carvers stuff runs cool to warm at the touch, and is a great match with Klipsch too.

Fan noise in either of these?? I doubt it...

Bad pots or bent binding posts maybe?

Both are still used and enjoyed to this day too.

DC300IIA would be the big hoss to get, there is also DC150A and DC75A which is a current model (used for recording studios a lot). They are quiet with no fans and ballsy as heck.

Another nice heavy duty non-fan Crown series is the PS series. I don't know much about the more recent Power Base and others.

DC300IIA would be the big hoss to get, there is also DC150A and DC75A which is a current model (used for recording studios a lot). They are quiet with no fans and ballsy as heck.

Another nice heavy duty non-fan Crown series is the PS series. I don't know much about the more recent Power Base and others.

I have a Crown 75 boxed up and ready to ship if you are interested. Drop me an email.

IMO you cannot go wrong with a Carver TFM series and Klipsch speakers. While I have tubes for 2-channel. I have 4 Carver TFM-25s for my HT and it is clean and quiet. I also had 90s Carver gear with my KG4 and Forte II speakers and it was a great match. Can't comment on the Crown as I have never owned any.

Even the amps with fans will not run, if powering efficient speakers at none deafening volumes

Not true my friend. The Crown PSA2 (the pro version of the SA2 without meters) has a multi-stage fan. The fan runs on low speed, always on when the amp is on.

This amp also tends to run hottest at very low power levels where the fan will occassionally step up to a higher speed even at idle in a closed room.

The older Bob Carver stuff like Phase Linear & thereafter were all noisy IMO, and not all that reliable. Reliability was not in the same league as Crown.

The old D series Crown stuff is still used to this day, very high reliability. Some people say they sound bright/metalicy/harsh. But the same can be said of Carver, especially the older stuff.

The Crown D60 is a niffty little amp.

The older Bob Carver stuff like Phase Linear & thereafter were all noisy IMO, and not all that reliable. Reliability was not in the same league as Crown.

The old D series Crown stuff is still used to this day, very high reliability. Some people say they sound bright/metalicy/harsh. But the same can be said of Carver, especially the older stuff.

The Crown D60 is a niffty little amp.

My old Phase Linear 400 was an ear bleeder for sure.