Breaking in speakers

Learux

Ok guys title says it all what is your opinion on this, what time period. Do bigger more expensive speakers need a longer break in time(if they need it at all).

I would like the opinion of a knowledgable person in this field

Does the klipsch manual say that their speakers need a break in period?

Tx guys have a nice week-end.

Learux

With the possible exception of bass drivers, break-in occurs in your ears, not the speakers.

How many back and forth movements do you think would be required to "Break-in" a driver? 20,000? How many seconds is that with a 5,000 Hz cymbal crash? How many seconds (minutes) of about 100 Hz bass notes?

John

John---That makes sense. However I fear that many people who believe that tweeters are still breaking-in after 100 hours are not mechanical kind of guys and can't visualize mechanical things. JBL Pro states that the long term TS parameters of the 2226 woofer are stable after a 2 hour run-in, they imply however that it doesn't take near that long. As JBL Pro is a no-nonsense outfit that sells speakers to be used as tools to no-nonsense customers I'm inclined to believe them.

I think "break in" for speakers is a good salesman's ploy to get someone to live with speakers long enough to adjust to them. Breaking in, as a concept, seems to have come with the computer age. For reasons I don't understand, computer chips need a burn in period. For some reason, possibly the D/A conversion chips, my new Sony CE775 SACD player sounds much better than when I first got it.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

TBrennan, I have to agree with you that JBL Pro isn't full of **** and will tell it as it is. Two hours seems reasionable, but it seems dumb to think a speaker needs over 100 hours to break in, lets do a little math:

100 hours of break-in at 20,000Hz equals - 7,200,000,000 cycles! Thats 1.5 cycles for everyone on the planet! Even at 20Hz, that is 7,200,000 cycles. Go outside and let your car run for a billion revolutions and see if it gets any better. I have a 4648A-8 with two 2226J woofers and they are as loud and cool now as they were when I first powered them up for the first time, so I agree.

soundog, I slapped my AMD system together and it ran fine! The only thing they do at the factory or computer store is let the chips and other components run to see if they don't die from a manufacturing flaw. Chips only wear out with use and heat.

I can see, maybe a FEW MINUITS at the most to break in a speaker, just to let the moving parts limber up a little.

Break in might be GoodGuys way of selling you speakers that you don't think sound good.

BOSESmash.gif

Kenratboy,

"Break in might be GoodGuys way of selling you speakers that you don't think sound good.

BOSE"

Oops forgot the smilie!

Good one Ken,yes some punk sales geeks will try any trick in the bag to push a cwm8.gifB0$e out the door.

No matter how many hours you "break in" the B0$e system it will always make you sick.Like I said so many times B0$e owners HATE music with a passion!

Now on a more serious side break in does help mechanical parts reach optimum performance.Its not a myth(unless you are a...B0$e owner! cwm3.gif

Break in does not change sound as much as many may claim...as some here said...YOU get used to the sound and this is part of the "break in".

After I got my RF-5's,RC-7 and FR-7's my ears were so abused my the AGRESSVE IN YER FACE MONSTER POWER KLIPSCH SOUND I felt like my refined Dynaudio Contours sounded too..neutral,too polite and too damn laid back!

LOL

Klipsch RF-7's sure did a massive break in on my ears and brain!cwm34.gif

OUCH still have 102 stiches on the side on my cranium

and this with one tiny watt.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-18-2002 at 08:35 PM

Ear---I gotta disagree with you here buddy, Bose owners must be music lovers; they're completely satisfied to simply listen to the music despite the poor sound. This is really an advantage, to just get into the music itself and not be concerned about the quality of the sound. My daughter is like that, loves music and listens to it a great deal, all kinds of music. But she's totally unconcerned with the quality of the sound, whether it's a cheap boombox or my VOTs it's all the same to her, she connects directly to the music itself.

In my opinion, all listening to music does is "remind" you of what it should sound like. If you heard a band in concert, when you listen to it again, you are simply "reminding" yourself of what you have heard before. I have no idea what I am talking about, but just my 2 cents.

Whats the most expensive speaker any of you have ever seen or heard? For me, it was 5 B&W 801's in a home theater, all Krell powered, Vidikron projector, ahhh, that was a nice system!

I think memory and illusion has a lot to do with it. Many years ago, in my druging days, I would be amazed at how good a cheap system would sound when I was smoking pot. At one point, I sold HiFis and when a customer came in high I new I would have a real shot at selling him the house brand of speakers which had a large "SPIF" (bonus $$). I have also noticed that when I'm sick I'm more aware of and much more easily irritated by poor sound quality.

Ignorance can be bliss but I would rather be more fully aware because, even though defects are more apparent, so is high quality that adds so much to savor and enjoy. Of course, Tom's daughter and my teenage son probably think we're weird and obsessed, and they may be right.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Well I don't know guys, the RF3s and RC3 I have did seem to take some break in period, especially the RC3 as it now has better smoother sound on vocals than it did when it first arrived, perhaps my ears but I know lately when I play a movie I am pleased at the sound quality that is pumping forth...

Now that I moved up to the RF7s, and tonight I cranked it up to about 11 clock wise on the dial and man did it push some sound out!!! amazingly clear full sound, smiling all the while! I don't normally crank my system up that high but I wanted to see what they would do and it was very impressive!

G2

TBrennan,

"Bose owners must be music lovers"

MUA HA HA HA HA

Good one,they copnect with THD and reflected BS directly!They sure do

When I listen to my Dynaudio Contours I am at the damn event and nothing else matters.Try to duplicate this with a piss poor B0$e or mass market speakers.Not a fat chance in HELL.

Those with poor quality systems are still using black and white TV sets to view the music,they should use color HDTV sets.Its NOT the same thing,no matter what some might think.But I dont try to explain them this they can only try to argue the obvious.

TBrennan you know this well,since you obviously dont listen to music thru a phony mass market junk system.

Quality helps bring you much closer to the real thing and nobody can argue that.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear---I understand you but while a good rig may bring you or me closer to the music some people just don't need it. And they're as close to the music as we are. I don't think you can judge a person's involvement with music by the quality of his rig. I don't think I was ever closer to music than the first time I heard "Satisfaction" over an AM car radio, what, 37 years ago? The music and the sound are 2 different things, you have music in your head, right? See what I mean?