Academy in need of repair

Kiltman

Have just received an Academy purchased through craiglist and the speaker has had some water damage. It was Oiled Oak but has some scratches and chips and had no front grille. Acoustically it's fine but will need to be repaired/refurbed to fit in with my Forte 1's (WO) I've owned since new. I have a good carpenter/woodworker close by who can probably bring it back to life but I want to make sure what I want is achievable. Any one have any tips/experiences?

Better to replace or repair the outside of the speaker?

Can it be glued and clamped?

What colour is Oiled Oak stain (nearest? Klipsch recommended?) Better to try and stain close to the Forte colour?

What options for a grille are out there? Are they still available from Klipsch/spare parts?

Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kiltman, I spruced up my Academy and took some pics.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/118154/1191732.aspx#1191732

It wasn't that hard. The veneer was much thinner than my Heresys but still workable. I also found a stain that matched up well with Walnut Oil. Not too sure about Oak Oil but some testing on the bottom will show the way. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, have since had it repaired. It was in pretty poor shape but looks good enough now.

Still looking for a grille and will probably build one. Any idea where I can get the right fabric to match?

Anyone have a spare Academy grille laying around? Also are the grill fasteners available as well as the PWK logo for thefront?

Thanks for the help. I'll post some pics when I get the chance

• 2 months later...

I posted some photos of an Academy that I purchased on craiglist.

The unit was in pretty poor shape but sounds ok. I had some questions however on the makeup of the academy and

took some pics of the woofer and inside of the speaker. I need to know if the parts are genuine Klipsch.

The pics are in Photos section

post-35610-13819488392288_thumb.jpg