Need Advise on a Good, Economical 2-ch Amp

rescueu2

Hi Guys,

I am wanting more power for my 2-ch stero listening. I am currently using a H/K AVR 354, which is great for the HT, but I feel like my RF-63's are starving for power when I am listing to CD's or the Ipod. I don't want to blow the windows out, but I want a bit more thump.

Can anyone suggest a decent amp that won't break the piggy bank??

Well I found a local guy here that has 2 amps for sale, first one is a BGW 500D which is a 200 WPC DJ Amp. It is HUGE and Heavy!!!

The other one is an Onkyo M 5140 which is 105WPC. I am stuck here at work so I haven't looked at either, but plan on checking them out tomorrow.

Any thoughts on either?? Anyone using these?? They seem vintage, but this guy has tons of tube amps so someting tells me he is a long time audiophile :)

Few $200 range amps would be considered really great by most folks here. That stated, after Hurricane Katrina I aquired some more Adcom amps.The 555 and 535 are 1980s vintage and should be just fine. I can't speak to how well SS amps hold up over time, but suspect that old SS amps may need some internal parts tweeked or replaced. This seems to be true with those of us into tube amps. Even DIY tubes could easily set you back over $500. Don't forget that CL and other local ads might help too. Also, some full range receivers, if old, might be found locally and be just fine for you too.

Hi Guys,

I am wanting more power for my 2-ch stero listening. I am currently using a H/K AVR 354, which is great for the HT, but I feel like my RF-63's are starving for power when I am listing to CD's or the Ipod. I don't want to blow the windows out, but I want a bit more thump.

Not a 2 channel amp but three more channels can't hurt if you decide to utilize them.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/1095867977.html

Bill

Look at this. I would buy it if I didn't live in Florida.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/1103038214.html

Here is another one not too far from you. Probably the best deal of all I sent you. I know it is a 3 channel but they are great for HT also.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1243449103&/Acurus-200x3-

Here is a more powerful 2 channel from the same guy.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243450698&/Acurus-A250-

Bill

I second the Emotiva. The guys at Audioholics fall all over themselves writing about them. I have the XPA-3 on my list of things to do in the next few months.

You said a couple hundred, find another hundred more and buy the UPA-2 and hook it to the preouts on your H/K. It's not much more than the 75 watts you have right now, but it's not just about how much power, but the quality of the power. All watts aren't created equally.

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Thanks Willand, Bourbonais is just up the road about an hour. I actually went to college there. Okay brace yourselves, I am about to ask some really stupid questions, but I am still learning!!

1. If I were to buy a 100wpc amp, would that be 100 in addition to the 75 that the H/K puts out?? If not, then what happens to the 75WPC??

2. Should I be looking for a 3 or 5 channel amp instead or would I be okay running a 2 ch with my center and surrounds un amped???

3. How many watts do I need to really kick the woofers of the RF-63's. I am a drummer and I know real bass first hand so I want the chest thump hits!!

Okay when you guys are done laughing, please respond [*-)]

1. If I were to buy a 100wpc amp, would that be 100 in addition to the 75 that the H/K puts out?? If not, then what happens to the 75WPC??

2. Should I be looking for a 3 or 5 channel amp instead or would I be okay running a 2 ch with my center and surrounds un amped???

3. How many watts do I need to really kick the woofers of the RF-63's. I am a drummer and I know real bass first hand so I want the chest thump hits!!

No dumb questions on this forum. Information is gained by asking questions or from research. The 100w you are speaking of will be from the amp only. When you hook up to an outboard amp with the receivers pre-outs, the receivers amps from those channels only will be bypassed and the outboards will be in use.

As far as multiple channel amps, I have one and advise you to get a 3 channel and let it power your L-C-R and let the HK's amps handle the surrounds. It is always good to have the front soundstage as matched as possible(both wattage and tone matching). This is a very common suggestion on this forum. If I was you I would really consider inquiring about either one of those Acurus that I sent you the links to. Go for the 3 channel(200w) amp. With a one hundred watt amp you just might long for more oomph, with a 200w I highly doubt it. I know the 3 channel is a little more than you wanted to spend but it will be worth it if you can swing it.

My RF-63's sounded good with just my Onkyo receiver. When I added my 200w B&K thay really came alive.

Bill