Need Advise on a Good, Economical 2-ch Amp

rescueu2

Well Bill I registered on Audiogon, emailed the guy up the road with the 3- ch Acurus at 0200 in the morning. He emails me back and said he just sold it this morning WTF!!! That was a great find too :( Anyway he has a several Acurus amps for sale, but they are all 2 ch. I think I would be better off amping the whole front stage, do you guys agree???

I'm getting frustrated, I want an AMP NOW!!!

I think a 2 channel amp will do you just fine. Let the HK take care of the center and surrounds. I don't think a stereo amp will make that big of a difference with timbre matching the front end.

A good stereo amp will take care of your 2 channel needs and will most likely cost less than a three channel amp. Remember, the more components they put into a single chassis, the lower the quality of said components. Three 2 channel amps will almost always give you better quality than a 5/6/7 channel amp. Less heat, bigger transformers, etc.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Sorry you lost out. Sometimes when really good deals come around they go fast. You need to install a hair trigger on your keyboard. Buy the highest wattage 2 channel he has for sale. The front soundstage will sound just fine with different amps. Just not as ideal as a 3 channel. As Dennie said, a 2 channel amp will be better for stereo listening. Get that Acurus A250. Sounds like a good buy even at $425.00 OBO.

Bill

Well the Acurus a150 is more in my price range right now. There are also a few B&K ST 2140's I was looking at. The local guy still has the BGW 500D that is rated at 200WPC. He was asking 275 but I think he would go down more, it has been listed for a while. I just never heard of them?? Oh what to do????

Well I pulled the trigger on the Acurus 150 from the guy that Bill recommended. I paid 265.00 shipped. My plan is to use this for a while, then keep looking for a a200x3 for the fron t, then move the a150 to the rears. I may have some questions when it gets here so keep checking. BTW, thanks to all that have given their advise. Very helpful!!!

Well I got the Acurus A150 hooked up and to be honest, I don't think it sounds any different that the H/K did stand alone?? The bass to me sounds flat. I am not getting the pumch that I was hoping for. The amp was immaculate though, and seems very well built.

Well I got the Acurus A150 hooked up and to be honest, I don't think it sounds any different that the H/K did stand alone?? The bass to me sounds flat. I am not getting the pumch that I was hoping for. The amp was immaculate though, and seems very well built.

Your feeling of a lack of punch might not have anything to do with your amplifiers! You could be spending good money to fix your problem in all the wrong places. The fix might be as simple and free as setting up your system in a more optimal way to take advantage of your rooms unique character.

The feeling/perception of punch ,definition and power in the bass region (given a reasonable amount of power) is influenced more by the loudspeakers ability and it's location/integration(ie: room mode developement) within the room and the listeners location in the room in relation to the room modes. Even the best loudspeakers placed in less than optimum positions and/or bad listener locations can lead to very disapointing bass performance no matter how much power or the quality of the power you throw at it.

Have you taken the time to walk about the room and listen for areas were the bass is better defined and perceived as more powerfull?

You can often gain more power/punch by moving the loudspeaker in relation to the corners of the room if you have that option. If they are far away from the corners do you have the option of setting your loudspeakers up to take advantage of the corners in your room?

You can also gain power/punch by locating your listening position in a more favorable area of the room. For example the least punch/power will be perceived if your listening position places you in the dead center of the room as referenced to the side to side walls and front to back walls. Locating your listening area in the back third of the room will often give you the perception of more bass and punch as you start getting closer to the rear wall but you will need to listen for the best balance between definition/clarity and power/punch in the bass region.

If a bad case of room modes is causing the perceived lack of punch/clarity then some bass traps placed in the corners of the room could prove helpfull but first thing to do is free and that again is to try relocating the loudspeakers in relation to walls and if possible in relation to the corners of the room to find a better integration of the loudspeaker/room.

Another option might be EQ! If the lack of punch/power in the bass is the result of a room mode null at the listener's location then EQ or more power will not help! EQ can help if it's just a matter of bass energy leaking out of the room or if the loudspeakers placement in areas of the room were they receive little room support in which case some small boosting in the bass region might help to restore some tonal balance and power/punch to the system.

Try all the free options first!

mike tn[:D]

Posted Image

Posted Image

These photos are older, but represent the room characteristics. On the Right you will notice that there is a stairwell, on the left is a hall way, and a doorway leading into the kitchen (not shown). Probably not Ideal, but the only way it can be arranged. The room is rather small, but I made speaker purchases for future addition to the house. Unfortunately I have to live with this arrangement a bit longer. The best bass can be heard half way up the stairs, or in the corner where the other recliner is. The sub is currently next to the R speaker but I have considered placing the sub behind the couch in the corner to help balance it out. Any suggestions???

Good point on the acoustics, I guess I really never took this into consideration, FNG Here!!!!

On the Right you will notice that there is a stairwell, on the left is a hall way, and a doorway leading into the kitchen (not shown). Probably not Ideal, but the only way it can be arranged. The room is rather small, but I made speaker purchases for future addition to the house. Unfortunately I have to live with this arrangement a bit longer. The best bass can be heard half way up the stairs, or in the corner where the other recliner is. The sub is currently next to the R speaker but I have considered placing the sub behind the couch in the corner to help balance it out. Any suggestions???

IMO you have a very difficult setup to deal with. Acoustically speaking it's as if the speakers are in the middle area of a much larger space due to the stairwell and hallway leading to other rooms that couple to this space. Like my example of a listener in the middle of a room will result in the least bass also placing the loudspeakers toward the center of a room(acoustically speaking in your case specifically) will most likely lead to the weakest bass performance for the loudspeaker/room integration.

Moving the sub to a rear corner might be the best option and help you to perceive/feel the bass better although it might not add to the punch factor.

If you have some Tone contrl or EQ options in your receiver then that might be your next thing to look into. If you do try EQing work in the low frequency region from approximately 300Hz and downward and what ever you do I would probably suggest you apply it to both channels and keep any boosting to 6db or less. If you don't hear any sound improvement when making these adjustments then don't bother boosting those areas since it would probably just be a waste of power and drive the loudspeakers unnecessarly because of the room/setup conditions.

mike tn

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but from the looks of things, the open space beside and behind your setup may be sucking all the bass out of the ideal listening locations. Also it looks like the rear port of the 63's are only a couple of inches from the wall. I know you can't do anything about the open spaces but try to move them away from the wall about 6 to 10 inches. Try anything within reason.

Bill

I agree with the statement about the stairwell sucking the bass. The 63's are actually 7 inches from the wall, I read about that on the forum, so I moved them forward. I think I might try moving the sub, I can always put it back! The setup doesn't sound bad by any means, I just want more!!! afterall, this whole HT think is awful addiciting [:D]

Thanks for all the advise!!! I will have to live with it until I can build an addition, or a new house.....RIGHT!!!!!