DVD player Recommendations?

Joe Shmoe

I might be in the market for a new DVD player soon... what would you recommend? A while back I had a Sony Blu-Ray but wasn't liking the slow start up time, I know since then they have improved, but I thought I would get some ideas from you folks.

I'll never buy another Yamaha DVD player- my DVD-S2500 is an $800 player but chatters so bad on some discs that I can hear it above the soundtrack during quiet moments. A trip to Yamaha in California produced no improvement.

Also have had three feature-laden Sony DVD players (cheap ones) die early deaths. So they're off the list.

SONY PS-3 or SONY 550.. Happy with both here....

I know it is back to SONY, but these have worked well for me here... They seem to have gotten it right.. The 550 loads up quick too...

Add that you can update the firmware via the internet or new codecs in the future.... Home Run!

I'm with Colter - my Yammy (which I still use) freezes up and won't always play a DVD. It's kind of old, but the freeze-up have been around a long time too. I use PS3 for hi def, but it's a wee bit noisy. I can play games tho a plus! Thinking I'll grab an Oppo just to have an alternative.

Oppo DV-980h is an amazing value. Great cd player, even better SACD player and equally talented with DVD-A and video. Not only is it the least expensive DVD player I've ever owned, it is also one of the best. For under $200, there really is no competition. Add to that, great customer service and impeccable packing. And it has variable outputs to allow remote volume control if you're plugged into something vintage or without remote volume. Tremendous value in my opinion.

I'm also waiting on the OPPO BR. I've been buying movies that I can't yet play, and am anxious for a player, but the OPPO is worth waiting for. I also have quite a few SACDs, which is a factor in my waiting.

SSH