Should I hook up my old turntable?

merkin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have my dad's '78 SL-1700MK2 now, but back in '02, my kid bro used the Technics 'table situated on 4 virgin tennis balls (the 'table sat on the bottom shelf of a solid wood cadenza)...it performed solidly with every album he spun! Since the 'table is now on my glass and steel audio rack which stands on a solid concrete slab foundation, I have no issues with vibrations.

post-11084-13819464159872_thumb.jpg

Hey James, You do get 2 sets of MoPads, but you also get 4 wedges for adjusting the angle. As you can see in this picture, the outer ones have the wedges on them, the center one's are behind them. You can turn the wedges around and make the Mopad level or use them as in the picture for a greater angle.

I hope that is clearer.

Dennie

Thanks for the help. I did see them at MusicDirect but didn't purchase them. I am going to first try a wall mount, I will be putting it up tomorrow and see if that works. If that doesn't work then I will go back a get the MoPads. Plus I want to get the TT off the vinyl boxes so I can have the pre, amp and receiver better placed.

James

I have my dad's '78 SL-1700MK2 now, but back in '02, my kid bro used the Technics 'table situated on 4 virgin tennis balls (the 'table sat on the bottom shelf of a solid wood cadenza)...it performed solidly with every album he spun! Since the 'table is now on my glass and steel audio rack which stands on a solid concrete slab foundation, I have no issues with vibrations.

How did it not slip off of the tennis balls? I boght some raquet balls this morning and was going to chop them in half and try a three or four point suspension. Any thoughts?

I sure am glad I have a slab foundation in my home. Nothing like 30 tons of concrete to set your gear on to prevent hearing footsteps ect. No TippieToing around for me, just drop the needle and let the tunes fly!Stick out tongue

Same here. Thankfully, I got my two-channel rig with the TT setup down in the basement, thus directly on the concrete slap. I could jump up and down right in front of the record player, and does not effect it anyway. Still, seeing those "MoPad" things give me an idea though. At work, we have quite a bit of that dense open cell type foam laying around - with quite a bit ending up in the trash. I'll have to go snag a few pieces to stick under the turntable, just for S&Gs and to give me that extra warm and fuzzy.

How did it not slip off of the tennis balls?

You can put them in a box that will contain them......and shallow enough so that the balls are about 1/4" higher than the top of the box. Put a slab of ceramic or marble tile on top of the tennis/raquetballs and set the turntable or cd player on top.

Works pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

How did it not slip off of the tennis balls? I boght some raquet balls this morning and was going to chop them in half and try a three or four point suspension. Any thoughts?

So did everything work out for you with this setup? I went to Michaels, craft store, and purchased some foam pads for about $9 and that did the job with the wall mount. I can now walk anywhere in front of the TT and no problems.

James

My listening room is on the second floor, so it's frame. I had issues of tip-toeing around and sound blurring from sympathetic vibrations until the PAW and I built this support. It has 200lbs of play sand in the base. One can still get a skip by stepping heavily right next to it or jumping up and down, but that shakes the whole house as well. However, no sympathetic vibrations now and any skips are very rare. Total cost, including polished and cut granite, was around 200.00. We built a matching single table model for the second system in a room nearby.

Dave

post-9494-13819464825306_thumb.jpg

Dave I remember that thread about the build and the drawings that you had for it, it looks really good. I was thinking about doing the same thing, just not as high for mine but then I would have to find a different place for the gear. That is when I started looking at Home Depot for angles for a shelf, then found some wood for the base in my basement and for under $25 it is good and sitting over my gear that sits on boxes of albums.

James

So did everything work out for you with this setup? I went to Michaels, craft store, and purchased some foam pads for about $9 and that did the job with the wall mount. I can now walk anywhere in front of the TT and no problems.

James

James,

I havent had the time to try it yet. I am going to get to it this weekend.

I will let you know how it goes.

Sounds like you fixed your problem, I might look into doing a wall mount too.

I bought some rubber feet at Ace for the legs of the table and cut some raquet balls in half. The tt is now sitting on the half balls. Walking by it I can walk normal and not hear any rumbling or skipping. So I guess problem solved for now.

And yes Dennie, I will be hanging up my ballet shoes for the time being.

I bought some rubber feet at Ace for the legs of the table and cut some raquet balls in half. The tt is now sitting on the half balls. Walking by it I can walk normal and not hear any rumbling or skipping. So I guess problem solved for now.

That was going to be my next question!!! LOL Good to hear Rich!

Dennie

That was going to be my next question!!! LOL Good to hear Rich!

Dennie

I figured you would be proud of me. hahaha