Music vs Gear

jpm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are you silly bad, bad boy.

If you don't analyze your gear you won't discover it's deficiencies, thus no new gear coming into the house. This will have a direct effect on the overall economy and soon your father will be out of a job. So go to your room and no music for you to night until you're ready to start acting like a young gentleman again.

Mother Thebes

I embrace the music and let it flow through my head. I don't fret about or over-analyze my gear. Am I bad?

You love music, I love MUSIC, WE ALL LOVE MUSIC... ha ha!

You just keep repeating that "embrace the Music" mantra but look around.... this is a Gear forum full of Gearheads who stumbled onto this site because of their interest in the products of an engineer who spent a good portion of his life analyzing gear.

Of course you're not bad.... and being a bit delusional at 1:30AM isn't all that unusual either. [;)] Have fun

I embrace the music and let it flow through my head. I don't fret about or over-analyze my gear. Am I bad?

A few Sundays ago I listened to Eric Clapton, The Blues: http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Eric-Clapton/dp/B00000JNMN , Disk 2, Track 7, over and over and over, just to hear that well recorded drum kit ring out; the Heresys and 2A3s were sounding really amazing that day! Yeah, I listen to the gear sometimes.

Well, maybe most of the time. I mean, what is the proper ratio of quality source material (software), quality gear, and emotion? Can they, or should they, intermingle? I think most of the folks on this and other similar forums recognize these basic components of the listening experience. When you come home and flip the stereo on and go about the house doing other stuff, well, you may hear the music as an afterthought, and it makes you feel good, but your mind is also preoccupied with the other stuff. Now, when you sit down in front of your gear for a serious session, I think you cannot help but be aware of the gear that is producing those wonderful sounds.

Yeah, the music will touch you emotionally, but we audiophiles are always conscience of our effort, research, trials and dollars we shelled out on the equipment we brought in to bring this wonderful sound. And, (go ahead, admit it), most of us are sub conscientiously thinking about the next tweak or upgrade to gain that next .02 percent. Don’t try to deny it; it is obvious with 80% of the posts on this forum. It’s part of the madness that is Klipsch!

My .02

Rick

BTW, with this thread, http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117532.aspx it seems you are pretty passionate about your gear. [;)]

....and EC - Blues comes highly recommended!

If your gear is set up properly, the music will not flow through your head, it will enter and STAY there for eternity.

What were you puttin in your coffee this AM.

Thats pretty heavy chit man.

================================

Gear can be stressful to me. Know too much, been at it too long, and I have the privilidge of being highly opinionated.

Being in sales you have only strategic situations to be highly opinionated.

I have been agaonizing over component and speaker placement in my home office (effective 1-1-09) for about 2 weeks so I have not connected a compnent up yet. Mental block and I think one of the two oldest kids "borrowed" some of my extra interconnects. Probably get to it this weekend.

Feel the need to sit down and listen to the Buffalo Springfield box set on the Belles in one sitting of 4 discs. Then its all about the music!

As long as improvements can be made- keep changing stuff. Lots of the systems here are at/close to the point of diminishing returns as far as changing anything else.The problem is-- the more you listen to good equipment-the higher your standards become. That is where the thing gets crazy.

If you even brought up the question .. you are thinking about more equipment.

Winchester21,

You bring up an interesting point, diminishing returns and higher standards. For me I do have a minimum acceptable level of quality but I try not to let that become too dominant. I try to listen to the things a system does well not the things it can't do. I only focus on the weak points during my peliminary tuning, after that I just sit back and enjoy............ that's the key.

Thanx, Russ

• Moderators

If your gear is set up properly, the music will not flow through your head, it will enter and STAY there for eternity.

What were you puttin in your coffee this AM.

Thats pretty heavy chit man.

================================

Thats funny. [:D]

I like that one Michael................you writing these down ?

I spent years over analyzing my gear. It got to the point that I was doing it so much that I wasn't enjoying the music. So I turned it off for about 6 months. The only music i listened to was on my car stereo. I finally came to the conclusion that I was listening to the equipment and not the music. After 6 months I cranked back up the main system and man............. Now we are talking. Compared to the car audio this was some great stuff. Haven't looked back since and now I can enjoy the music. There is nothing like the 'chills' that you can get when the music is right and the setup is proper. It just don't get any better(at least not by much). And I'm satfisfied now with only being 98% there. The heck with the other 2%.. I'm not gonna allow that 2% to stop me from enjoying the music...... not anymore...

I've often wondered how many out there have $10,000 systems and a meager investment in source material. 

I've heard a $50k system with a selection of only cds numbering less than 300, of which only 20 sounded good, 5 great, and none of them particularly musical. Not for me. [*-)]

OK- Consider this-- Pices for used hi end audio stuff are in the can big time. It is absolutely R I D I C U L I O U S what you can buy now for pennies on the dollar. Not so a year or 2 ago when I was looking around. Now is the time to be a gearhead. I look around my room at the 7 speaker Heritage HT setup with the k horn fronts- the stack of amps running the HT- the 2 channel tube monobloc/tube CD system and I just shake my head and laugh at the joke of a price that i paid wihin the last few months for all of this stuff.

Guilty as charged- I have bought like 6 CDs in the last 2 months. Buying gear while the getting is good.

If you ever wanted it... now is the time.

I have bought like 6 CDs in the last 2 months.

I haven't bought 6 CDs in the last two years. I can't get through all the CDs I already have.

I have a coworker who have may 500+ CDs. While he listens to new ones all the time, he also goes through ALL of them alphabetically each year. Then again, he IS a librarian... [*-)]

I go a couple of days and don't even turn on any of my gear... then I put on something to listen nd fall asleep. BUT that may be my age... Truth be told, I can still sit and enjoy music on a boom box. If that is what is playing the music, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Bruce

What's wrong with listening to and appreciating both music and gear?

Cheers to DR. Who!!!

I truly love music, but I'm also a gear head ... so the pursuit and acquisition of gear gives me a big thrill

Got to admit that dollar for dollar my cheapo office rig with a beater 70's Sansui and heresies is very very enjoyable.... especially since I have a total of <$500 in it compared to my main rig which is upwards of 10K